Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I met a game warden today and got to talk to them too!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I met a game warden today and got to talk to them too!

Good evening everyone. So today I was doing some delivery app work in an urban area close to San Francisco. I parked in a marina/trail area and walked for a bit to take a break(foot and leg ache and get sore driving too long). A while later I'm walking past a boat dock and there are two DFW trucks parked along the side and I see two game wardens in green vests walking from the boardwalk. As we almost pass each other I call out to them and we ended up spending the next 20 minutes talking. Well I mainly talked to one since the other had to go check some people but they were still both really cool and chill. Here's what I got from the warden I talked to:

-He started when he was 30 years old and had done bartending before that. Apparently in the academy you got people of various backgrounds aside from the typical ''grew up hunting and fishing'' types.

-As for applying, he did get rejected the first few times applying and also mentioned he waited to long(started at 30) but he said he had no regrets since he did learn things from the previous occupations.

-As for the competitiveness, it has gotten less so but looks like it could go back up. In his academy there were a couple of people with Master's degrees and a mix of those with bachelor's and associate's along with whatever relevant experience. Degrees ranged from psychology, science or criminal justice. When I start college classes again in the spring my desired major was Environmental Science and he said that would work well with the Oil Spill Response Unit.

-I mentioned finishing EMT training, and he said that was also a plus. For them they are taught basic first aid for things like gunshot wounds and the like, but they are just now starting to carry defibrillators. The State Park Rangers (a la MinigunSniper) are a bit more medical related since they have the lifeguard classification but still similar duties.

-Urban game wardens do differ in duties and scopes compared to rural wardens. The two I ran into were on a marina in a bigger city so while they can help other officers if it is needed they for the most part can focus more on the fishing/boating stuff since in an urban area there's an abundance of other police departments and responders available for things like school shootings, etc. This is different in the boonies since there are only so many sheriffs or deputies in those parts, so their multi purpose role comes more into play.

-I did mention I am a high functioning autistic(Asperger's). TBC, I don't break down or freak out around sirens or get nonverbal and all the low functioning stuff. Growing up I was very socially awkward and kinda introverted but post high school have made much improvement. They even noted I didn't seem to have trouble going up and making conversation with people.

-They confirmed that you have to go wherever they station you. You may get lucky, or it will be a few years before you can change to where you want. Also in the past here I was confused by what one of you said about the having flexible hours. From what the warden told me, how it works is something like how he has two set days off, and he does have to work at least 5 days a week but he may do something like 12am to 8am, 12am-2pm(iirc) or basically adjust it, and for family life it's touching base with his wife and how to go about things.

-The academy held this year was delayed due to COVID-19 like other classes overall, so the usual graduating month of August was moved to around the end of October, and like my EMT classes had an online component added to minimize contact.

So then things came to a close since I was getting ready to head back on the road plus the warden's phone started buzzing(making duck noises lol) and it was his lieutenant calling. I said thanks and goodbye and went back to my car. It was definitely great to get some first hand insight and makes it easier to understand the process. I do feel better about finishing college by the time I'm 24 since I didn't have things figured/planned out well and in hindsight wish I did a gap year. There's still things I want to do in my personal life as well as getting that work experience under my belt so hopefully I can do the 2025 academy and by that time will be well prepared. It's cool that they are pretty easygoing to talk too even though most people they come across are armed, and they did note a couple of incidents with drugged out, nude people(Bay Area, so lots of homeless and druggies). So yeah, all good! I do wish I perhaps about their trucks and whether they are state maintained of done persoanlly(I've read it's the latter) and a couple of other things but whatev.

I’m glad you had a positive interaction with those wardens. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Being high functioning autistic means you will have a few unique challenges to face, but your life is full of overcoming obstacles and trying hard to improve yourself. Now you need to focus on tightening up your shot group with physical fitness. Set your goals, attack them, and exceed those goals. Learn to think outside the box and don’t be afraid to feel uncomfortable. Uncomfortable keeps you on your toes. Keep moving forward and have a great day.
    US Army Veteran
    The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

In my state 95% or more Department of Natural Resources LEO's have some type of Natural Resources degree. They don't get into the jobs for the LE portion of the job.

And the job is EXTREMELY competitive
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's cool that they are pretty easygoing to talk too
        A couple reasons why. One, their employers (DNR, Fish and Game, etc.) are more 'customer service' oriented than traditional police departments. Two, game warden work isn't dealing with people at their worst all the time. Most of the contacts are made with people doing what they enjoy- hunting, fishing, boating, etc. So they can be nice guys (in general).

even though most people they come across are armed
        Yeah, but 95% of those folks are good people. Salt of the earth people. People who respect the law and intend to follow the rules while out hunting and fishing and because losing their hunting privileges would be like losing part of their soul.

So yeah, all good!
        Live the dream, bud.

about their trucks and whether they are state maintained of done persoanlly
        Lol. The average game warden rig has three full spittle bottles in the console, mud smeared on the seats, fish blood all over the bed, and who knows what under the waders in back. And since hunters and fishermen often empty their bowels in the grassy parking areas on public hunting and fishing lands, that nasty stink coming from the floormats and gas pedal ain't deer poop.

One time I hopped in a game warden truck and it was spotless... everything in perfect order and the floors so clean you could eat maple walnut ice cream off them. I questioned if I was working with a real game warden....
        Last edited by Ratatatat; 11-11-2020, 04:12 PM.
        What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

A couple reasons why. One, their employers (DNR, Fish and Game, etc.) are more 'customer service' oriented than traditional police departments. Two, game warden work isn't dealing with people at their worst all the time. Most of the contacts are made with people doing what they enjoy- hunting, fishing, boating, etc. So they can be nice guys (in general).

Yeah, but 95% of those folks are good people. Salt of the earth people. People who respect the law and intend to follow the rules while out hunting and fishing and because losing their hunting privileges would be like losing part of their soul.

Live the dream, bud.

Lol. The average game warden rig has three full spittle bottles in the console, mud smeared on the seats, fish blood all over the bed, and who knows what under the waders in back. And since hunters and fishermen often empty their bowels in the grassy parking areas on public hunting and fishing lands, that nasty stink coming from the floormats and gas pedal ain't deer poop.

One time I hopped in a game warden truck and it was spotless... everything in perfect order and the floors so clean you could eat maple walnut ice cream off them. I questioned if I was working with a real game warden....
          Ah those are good points. And I actually talked to a state park ranger on a different forum and those two things you brought up are also why in light of the recent protests conservation officers and the like aren't really getting the same heat. As for the truck thing...ew. And I guess it depends. These marina wardens may be a bit cleaner, though the exterior of the trucks had some typical dry mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            In my state 95% or more Department of Natural Resources LEO's have some type of Natural Resources degree. They don't get into the jobs for the LE portion of the job.

And the job is EXTREMELY competitive
            Yeah. I still figured I'd get back on track with college and get a bachelor's degree, while also using that time for internships/volunteering during the summer as well as EMT work. Even aside from just getting accepted at first, that stuff would seem important for moving up.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse6 View Post
              I’m glad you had a positive interaction with those wardens. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Being high functioning autistic means you will have a few unique challenges to face, but your life is full of overcoming obstacles and trying hard to improve yourself. Now you need to focus on tightening up your shot group with physical fitness. Set your goals, attack them, and exceed those goals. Learn to think outside the box and don’t be afraid to feel uncomfortable. Uncomfortable keeps you on your toes. Keep moving forward and have a great day.
              Thanks. And yeah, that's why I felt it was good to be doing EMT and getting my feet wet first responder wise. Ditto on the fitness, though this pandemic has stolen the opportunity for martial arts practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

Live the dream, bud.

Years ago, our local game warden used to call me up to ask me to cover him at times, when approaching racist anti-white offenders that viewed poaching as some kind of cultural "right", even if their felony crystal meth convictions precluded them from legally hunting with firearms. I typically took up an overwatch position with my rifle. Fortunately, I never had to drop the hammer on any of them...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Years ago, our local game warden used to call me up to ask me to cover him at times, when approaching racist anti-white offenders that viewed poaching as some kind of cultural "right", even if their felony crystal meth convictions precluded them from legally hunting with firearms. I typically took up an overwatch position with my rifle. Fortunately, I never had to drop the hammer on any of them...
                  TBH I've wondered if me being a black guy would add a bit more risk for me if I'm posted in a rural area.

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, I don't think that would be an issue...

• darkhorse6
                    darkhorse6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nope. Not at all.

Originally posted by Zen-Paladin View Post

TBH I've wondered if me being a black guy would add a bit more risk for me if I'm posted in a rural area.
                  What rural areas are we talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

What rural areas are we talking about?
                    A very valid point! The two comments that stated no problem at all being based in rural area, must bring a personal viewpoint based on their race, which must be Black.
                    Last edited by retired137; 11-12-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

. So yeah, all good! I do wish I perhaps about their trucks and whether they are state maintained of done persoanlly(I've read it's the latter) .
                      MOST city/state/federal/county issued vehicles are maintained by the OWNER (the agency) but the person assigned to the vehicle is responsible to make sure the vehicle gets serviced when necessary
                      My agency contracts with various businesses to change oil , minor repairs, etc and the deputy assigned is the one who makes the appointments and get the vehicle to the shop.

Maintaining the INSIDE of the vehicle is up to the assigned officer...................it's THEIR workplace. Some officers are more meticulous than others

We have a state park in our county that is just outside the city limits of the county seat. The park ranger is a certified LEO. The city has an agreement with the state to patrol the park during the ranger's off hours. He has our OPS frequency in the truck and OFTEN takes traffic calls near the park when we are back up (think snow storms & icy roads near the park
                      He will show up on traffic stops if he is in the truck when an officer pulls someone over near him. & we do likewise

We also have a game warden assigned to our county who pops in frequently but has two other counties to cover. He of course is certified.

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I have had game wardens back me up on traffic stops too, and they have always been great guys...

• Saluki89
                        Saluki89 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The only time I ever saw a DNR guy was my first shots fired call. Man they have alot of gear.

I work in a fairly big mid-sized and diverse city. I happen to be a black LEO. Let me tell you, I have had the slurs thrown at me often from everyone. You will face difficulties if you are black in a majority white rural town. Similar to white cops in the hood, but I will say they will have it easier than you seeing that their backup is right there as opposed to you having to wait minutes....long minutes as you wait for the possible 1 or 2 county or city guys working your area. I've traveled enough of this country by car to see that not everything is peachy when it comes to race relations. I can give you plenty of stories of things that happened to me when I was a service member stationed in Kansas and Kentucky.

Comment

Zen-Paladin, keep in mind that Scotty is a rookie, with very little law-enforcement experience. Those of us that he tends to disagree with, are veteran law-enforcement officers and/or honorably retired veteran law-enforcement officers.

We suspect that Scotty creates a lot of his own problems. He may attribute his interpersonal difficulties to his apparent skin color, when in reality, his interpersonal difficulties may be because he as an individual has problems in getting along with people...

Comment

Zen-Paladin, keep in mind that Scotty is a rookie, with very little law-enforcement experience. Those of us that he tends to disagree with, are veteran law-enforcement officers and/or honorably retired veteran law-enforcement officers.

We suspect that Scotty creates a lot of his own problems. He may attribute his interpersonal difficulties to his apparent skin color, when in reality, his interpersonal difficulties may be because he as an individual has problems in getting along with people...
                          Spoken by Mr. Brady, or shall I say cut and run. You've never finished anything you've started and there's always an excuse. Are you the spokesperson for black people now?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3348 users online. 262 members and 3086 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X