300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
    Scotty, a major component of your incompatibility with this profession, is that you perceive yourself as being black, and me as being white, instead of perceiving both of us as being blue.

Until you get yourself fired, you and will be brothers, and little brother, I am ashamed of your racism.
    Exactly what is wrong with America today. People making assumptions about ones thoughts. Aidokea, I have a question since you opened it up. How much money would it take for you to live your life as a black person?

Comment

• There is A LOT of stuff in this thread that makes me ashamed of some of my brothers in blue. Scotty's alleged "racism" isn't one of them.

(Btw, I just completed 25 years of service so spare me the "you don't know what you're talking about" crap.)

Comment

• Originally posted by retired137 View Post
        How much money would it take for you to live your life as a black person?
        I have lived as a racial minority for 15 years- what's your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
          I just completed 25 years of service so spare me the "you don't know what you're talking about" crap.
          Well I was first sworn in 30 years ago, which makes you junior to me...
          Last edited by Aidokea; 01-16-2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
            not.in.MY.town commented
            Editing a comment
            1) It has nothing to do with math. The notion that a lieutenant from one department is "junior" to a patrol officer from another department is ludicrous. I don't work for you or under you.
            2) You've said as much in previous posts.
            3) I'm retiring at a rank in which I'm responsible for advocating for good officers and holding accountable the rotten apples such as yourself.

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't count your chickens before they're hatched- you haven't retired as anything yet- all it takes is one officer making a formal complaint, to hold accountable the rotton apples such as yourself...

• not.in.MY.town
            not.in.MY.town commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm currently on leave and will be formally retired by the end of the month.

That aside, it takes a heck of a lot more than someone "making a complaint". The allegations would need to be sustained AND be serious enough to warrant demotion and/or termination. I'm not one bit worried.

Like it or not, I'm retiring with my integrity and reputation intact.

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Well if you make it to retirement, you and I will then have the same rank- none.

Can you please answer the question? If you can't please articulate why.

Comment

Well, I was first sworn in 30 years ago, so that makes you junior to me...
            Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Stop whining.

I have applied to two police departments in my life, got hired both times, and was put through academy both times at their expense. I just retired from the second one. I made about $120,000 my last 12 months on the road as an officer. And there is nothing special about me- I don't even have a high school diploma.

There are PLENTY of jobs out there. Most departments are dangerously understaffed, and are desperately seeking qualified applicants. Departments have even resorted to poaching from each other's ranks with signing bonuses of up to $25,000.

If you're not getting hired, it's YOU.
            Uh-uh, would you care to enlighten us? I did save the post where you stated you were hired later in life at 44.

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Wrong. I was hired at 43. The second time.

I was hired at 27 the first time. 30 years ago.

Do you have some point to make?

• retired137
              retired137 commented
              Editing a comment
              You've made the point previously. Cut and run cause you can't stand the heat or a member of the Brady Bunch? Both have been proven to be detrimental to careers.
              Last edited by retired137; 01-16-2021, 09:21 PM.

Are you an affirmative action hire your second go round?

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol, no. Quite the opposite. I had to overcome my melanin deficiency in order to pass every step of the hiring process, every step of academy, every step of FTO, every solo day until the end of probation, and every tour of duty until retirement.
              Last edited by Aidokea; 01-16-2021, 06:37 PM.

How much money would it take for you to live your life as a black person?
            Can I answer that?

The answer is...not a dime. I was raised lower middle class. My parents taught me responsibility, respect, hard work, discipline, honesty, and honor. I live by the moral code I was taught and my race has absolutely nothing to do with it. If I had a different skin color and was still taught that moral code, I would continue to live by it...skin color has nothing to do with it.

Each person his his or her challenges in life, regardless of race, sex, creed, nationality, religion, etc. How we deal with those challenges is the proof of our character.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Bing_Oh
              Bing_Oh commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think anyone is saying there isn't a history of racism in the United States (or that racism doesn't still exist today). However, the simple reality is, racism cannot account for every minority woe. The reality is, there are other "unwanted" races who have fared much better than blacks in the US. Asians and Indians have found great degrees of success in the US, despite being outwardly identifiable as minorities. The Irish of the 1800's were arguably viewed at the same level as black ex-slaves post Civil War, but came to be a major factor in building what we now know of as the middle class. Granted, none of them got there easily, but that's the story of American success. So, there are legitimate statistics proving that race isn't necessarily an insurmountable roadblock to success. And all that is ignoring the fact that there are countless very successful blacks in this country.

So, we have to consider other factors besides race in observations of disparity. It's easy to just compare race to success (or lack of success), but it also holds the likelihood of concealing a logical fallacy (the "ice cream causes murder" fallacy I was taught in college).

• DM206
              DM206 commented
              Editing a comment
              Since you've brought up college twice now, implying I'm falling prey to some basic deficit of logic or knowledge: I have multiple degrees in psychology and criminology. I do actually know a few things about individual behavior, statistics, and the difference between correlation and causation.

That being said, you've offered no alternative. I already agreed that race is not the only factor but if you control for other variables such as gender, age, zip code, whatever you want, the disparities remain stark. You can read Scotty's lengthy post for a good breakdown of the reasons why.

I think it's better if you don't try to respond. Instead, just think about it. Digest the information and consider that America in 2021 might still not be as equal as we all would hope. Like I said, that doesn't change how we all need to act on an individual level. It doesn't mean you or I or anyone else isn't accountable for their own behavior. But it should give us all some empathy for how we respond to larger social issues and how we talk to each other about those issues.

You're already not like Aidokea, and more thoughtful than many people. So just sit with it.

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              DM206, nobody's denying that you're smart- we're just saying that you're wrong...

• Bing_Oh
              Bing_Oh commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually, DM206, I never intended to imply anything about your intelligence, education, or reasoning ability, nor did I imply that you lacked knowledge or logical aptitude. I simply disagree with some of your arguments on this particular issue.

I actually have mentioned some alternative theories (though not attached to this specific comment), particularly the idea that generational institutionalism/thinking may have a particularly negative effect on the advancement and outlook of some minority populations (particularly the black population). I don't and never will deny the existence of racism, but I strongly believe that its overall effects are not as significant as we would be lead to believe by those of certain political and ideological camps.

You challenge me to digest the information that is contrary to my beliefs. I challenge you to do the same. I challenge you to consider if racism and racial discord isn't a self-fulfilling prophecy in this country.

We each have our biases and limitations, no matter the extent of our education or the level of our intelligence. The challenge is to look past them.

• Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

Can I answer that?

The answer is...not a dime. I was raised lower middle class. My parents taught me responsibility, respect, hard work, discipline, honesty, and honor. I live by the moral code I was taught and my race has absolutely nothing to do with it. If I had a different skin color and was still taught that moral code, I would continue to live by it...skin color has nothing to do with it.

Each person his his or her challenges in life, regardless of race, sex, creed, nationality, religion, etc. How we deal with those challenges is the proof of our character.
            A-freekin'-men.

My late father was a Marine from Texas- that's where I got it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

Can I answer that?

Sounds great on the surface although one doesn't know how they would react or fare if things were different. A question, if skin color has nothing to do with it why are there Black Police Officer Associations? I assume they're of great moral character.

Comment

• Just go sleep it off, 137...

Comment

Just go sleep it off, 137...
                  Can you answer the question? Your style is and has been to deflect.

Comment

Sounds great on the surface although one doesn't know how they would react or fare if things were different.
                    So, I answered your question and, because it wasn't what you wanted or thought the answer would be, you respond with "but you really don't know." Not much of a response.

A question, if skin color has nothing to do with it why are there Black Police Officer Associations? I assume they're of great moral character.
                    Because humans are naturally more comfortable around those who look, sound, act, and have similar beliefs as they do. And, as I mentioned above, because we have an unhealthy obsession with race in this country.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Conservative think tank The Heritage Foundation sure looks rather pale....

Turning Point USA looking pretty white...

But Aidokea doesn't know how blacks turn their noses up at conservatives because he's stuck in 1865.
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are simply providing more evidence that Democrats tend to divide people into groups by outward appearances, instead of identifying them by who they are as individuals- the Democrat party is founded in racism...

• Bing_Oh
                        Bing_Oh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I see minorities in both photos...and not a lynch rope in sight. Perhaps you should consider whether the lack of minorities in conservative circles is an effect of some kind of inherent racism or because some minority communities are trapped in generational thinking.

Let me give you an example of generational thinking...I regularly deal with people who are multi-generational welfare recipients (just for the record, almost all of them are white, so it's not racial). They aren't on welfare because they're stupid, or because welfare benefits them and makes their lives better, but because that's what they were taught from a young age. They're trapped in a cycle that doesn't benefit them and won't benefit their children all because they were told that's what they should do.

Now, apply that same thinking to race. Let's say a minority child is told, over and over, that everyone is against them because of the color of their skin. Every bad thing that happens to them is because of the color of their skin. When they make a bad decision and get punished, it's not because of the bad decision, it's because of their skin. They aren't good enough or smart enough to get an academic scholarship on their own, but they can get one because of the color of their skin. They can't get accepted into a college unless it's a "historically minority college" or it's to fill racial quotas. They can't get a job except for affirmative action. And, they can't make it on their own without the help of liberal government programs. So, this kid (who might be the next Einstein), thinks everything is about their race because that's what they were taught...the self-fulfilling prophecy of race in America.

• Pogue Mahone
                        Pogue Mahone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Speaking of generational thinking....

https://i.insider.com/5c57418ceb3ce8...67&format=jpeg

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4126 users online. 256 members and 3870 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X