300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Accomplishment

Yesterday I qualified on the law enforcement handgun range course......................................for the 43rd consecutive year.

While I am not sworn at this time my transport / court security post requires range qualification in order to carry a weapon.

Trifocals eyeglasses , bigger tummy & joints that groan every once in a while didn't make it easy but I made the grade....................
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Congrats!

I'd give you a cookie...but that would just add to that tummy and make it even harder to qualify next year.

Comment

Did you have to use your own ammunition? With the ammo shortage as bad as it is, it’s hard for me to find ammo to practice with since everyone is still panic buying where I’m at in Montana.
      US Army Veteran
      The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        Department issued weapon, department issued ammo. Practice when I want with department ammo.

FYI 40 cal is easy to find now here in Iowa

• darkhorse6
        darkhorse6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish 9mm was that way. I’m hoping it dies down after the election hoopla is over

Summer of 2019 I woke up one morning to find that cataracts had obscured my vision to a point that I could not read newspaper headlines. No way I could have qualified at the range!

A few weeks later I underwent cataract surgeries in both eyes (2 weeks apart). My vision is now 20/20. I am back to my weekly sessions on the indoor range, and again shooting open-sight rifles (M1, M1A, and others) up to 400 yards with scores that would keep me competitive in CMP. Ready for pheasant season next month also.

Keep after it! Life is good!

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been lucky with the cataract situation .

Originally posted by darkhorse6 View Post
      Did you have to use your own ammunition? With the ammo shortage as bad as it is, it’s hard for me to find ammo to practice with since everyone is still panic buying where I’m at in Montana.
      I started loading my own ammo 48 years ago, and started casting my own bullets 47 years ago. After the past several shortages of ammunition and reloading components I started buying a carton of primers and a pound of powder every month or so to see me through the current shortages (and others sure to come). I reload most pistol calibers in lots of 1000 at a time, and most rifle calibers in lots of 100. I have tens of thousands of cases ready to go at any time (most of which were free for the taking). A day of bullet casting provides me with 2000 to 3000 bullets.

A quick look in the ammo locker tells me I have about 1600 rounds of .45ACP, 1300 .38 Special, 1100 .357 Magnum, 1000 of 9mm, 800 of .40 S&W, 400 of 12-gauge, and a good assortment of everything else I regularly shoot.

Instead of watching some stupid TV show I spend an evening or two each week loading ammunition.

Even at today's prices for primers and powder I make all the .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 Special, .45 ACP and others for about 5 to 6 cents per round, so I can regularly shoot 100 to 200 rounds per week easily. My range membership provides me with key-card access 24 hours per day to an excellent indoor range.

For those who are prepared there are far less obstacles to overcome. For those who need to shoot regularly, and those who enjoy shooting, I strongly recommend gearing up and learning how to roll your own.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post

I started loading my own ammo 48 years ago, and started casting my own bullets 47 years ago. After the past several shortages of ammunition and reloading components I started buying a carton of primers and a pound of powder every month or so to see me through the current shortages (and others sure to come). I reload most pistol calibers in lots of 1000 at a time, and most rifle calibers in lots of 100. I have tens of thousands of cases ready to go at any time (most of which were free for the taking). A day of bullet casting provides me with 2000 to 3000 bullets.

A quick look in the ammo locker tells me I have about 1600 rounds of .45ACP, 1300 .38 Special, 1100 .357 Magnum, 1000 of 9mm, 800 of .40 S&W, 400 of 12-gauge, and a good assortment of everything else I regularly shoot.

Instead of watching some stupid TV show I spend an evening or two each week loading ammunition.

Even at today's prices for primers and powder I make all the .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 Special, .45 ACP and others for about 5 to 6 cents per round, so I can regularly shoot 100 to 200 rounds per week easily. My range membership provides me with key-card access 24 hours per day to an excellent indoor range.

For those who are prepared there are far less obstacles to overcome. For those who need to shoot regularly, and those who enjoy shooting, I strongly recommend gearing up and learning how to roll your own.
        You speak facts. It’s about time I learn to reload. Especially 9mm and 223/556 since that’s what I’m mandated to use by my agency.
        US Army Veteran
        The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

Congratulations.

My first Qual was in 1988, S/W 357 with .38+P and speed loaders.

We all thought we were the Bomb,....lol.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
            Iowa #1603 commented
            Editing a comment
            BTDT
            My first was a S&W Model 10 with dump pouches

• Jordon198
            Jordon198 commented
            Editing a comment
            We used S & W 64, some of which had the pencil barrels.

We were issued a slide on leather 6 loop holder for the other 6 rounds. If you were cool, you bought two speed loaders, and ditched the loop contraption. Bonus points for periodically taking the bullets out of those loops so they were not all green by the time the next range session happened.

• Iowa #1603
            Iowa #1603 commented
            Editing a comment
            I qualified one time using a 12 round loop rig rather than a dump pouch. We went right back to dump pouches until speed loaders were available

• GoldBadge
            GoldBadge commented
            Editing a comment
            1980: Model 19 .357, with a dump pouch.

Dump pouch?

Looking back, the revolver seems so antiquated. Two years later the sheriff swapped over to the 92F, now Those were a huge step up!

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
            Dump pouch?

Looking back, the revolver seems so antiquated. Two years later the sheriff swapped over to the 92F, now Those were a huge step up!
            snub-nose-speedloader-b.jpg

you wore these upside down..............opened the flap and the rounds came out loose in your hand Actually the ones we had were bi-fold and when unsnapped the cartridge pouch unfolded into your hand. Six rounds in each pouch

attachment.jpg Like This

I know a number of officers that wear revolvers as a back up.......................they never jam ...well almost never
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• GoldBadge
              GoldBadge commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. Dump pouch to speed strip to speed loader.

Our agency allows retired and former officers in good standing to stay on the roster for occasional part-time and/or special duty work. But they have to pass our state's mandated firearm qualification annually.

One of our retirees, who was universally lauded and loved both before and after his retirement, recently gave his official non-renewal notice. Due to problems with his knees, he can no longer do the kneeling and prone portions of the state qualification in the allotted time frame.

Sad, because he really didn't want to go nor did anyone at the department want him to leave. But I guess that time comes for everyone, eventually.

Regarding revolvers...I kept a S&W Model 340 PD as a back-up/off-duty/concealed piece for much of my career. But when the state qualification mandate came down, I sold it. There was no way I was ever going to be able to meet the standard, which included a certain accuracy and timed reloads from 25 yards, with that snubbie. And department policy prevented carry of anything I hadn't qualified with.
            Last edited by orangebottle; 10-25-2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3343 users online. 261 members and 3082 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X