Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was interviewing a new applicant............................she was born the day I started working for the agency...............

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Wow, I do hope this thread continues...it amazes on how some individuals slip through the cracks.

Our academy class actually had one. Not sure this person got on, but this person thought it was appropriate to not cover up or remove what seemed to be gang related tattoos on his hand(s). Our defense tactic instructor at the time called him out on it and said they will discuss this matter after our training.

Never seen that kid after that awkward incident.

Comment

We did have an officer about 22 years old in our department that made it all the way through academy and FTO, went solo, and then decided he didn't want to be a cop. He appeared to be some kind of trust fund millennial- he lived in a million-dollar house, and was always buying expensive flashy cars to add to his collection- Corvettes, GT500 Mustangs, supercharged Cadillacs, and so on.

That was all well and good, but after he quit, he seemed to be under the impression that "professional courtesy" still existed for him, and we were getting complaints about him racing his 200 mph cars against other people in top speed races on a 45 mph highway. I finally had to call him up and explain to him that if he did it one more time, we were going to arrest him for it...

Comment

I remember a story that Iowa posted about a dude who started flapping his gums before a polygraph about how he recently raped a toddler at a daycare he worked at. Apparently it was a state SA administering the polygraph. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the SA made the call to the guys agency telling them what he was just told..

What the f***?

Comment

Shortly after we hired an officer, a new edition of Playboy came out with an article called Women of Steel, which featured photos of women in jobs that were either dangerous or required unusual strength. Among the individuals featured was our officer, showing us a thing or two. However, instead of identifying her as a police officer, the article said she was a shoplifting agent for a major department store.

Naturally, the brass called he in and wanted to know what the he** was going on. Innocently, she stated she posed for the photos before we hired her and there was nothing on the PHQ that asked if she ever posed nude for Playboy. She was send back into the field with no punishment - Officer-1 Brass-0. You could hear management's teeth grinding for weeks. The Governor's officer later made it clear she was never to work dignitary protection as they didn't want to deal with the notoriety that would arise from such an assignment.

Just before her probation was up, the officer abruptly resigned. Two weeks later, the next edition of Playboy came out featuring her as the Playmate of the month, both in (and out) of her department uniform, and mentioning our agency. For weeks after, officers from neighboring PDs were showing up at our office with centerfolds, hoping to get them autographed.

We never saw her again, although one or two of or female officers may have kept in contact. She went on to make a few B rated "girls in danger" type movies where she showed off her ample "talents" and then just disappeared from public life.

We never did add that question to the PHQ.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

This thread has stirred a lot of memories from years gone bye. Here's a couple more.

One evening we got a call from LAPD saying they had one of our dispatchers in custody and asking us to drop by a particular station. On arrival their narcs advised us she had been arrested while trying to score heroin and the she had been using for some time. They were in the process of cutting a deal to not prosecute if she rolled over on her dealers. We were absolutely floored. While she hadn't been with us for that long, she was one of our best dispatchers and a real team player. During her time with us she had demonstrated absolutely no objective symptoms of usage. She did the honorable thing, quietly came in and resigned.

We had a probationer who had a serious contempt of cop problem and came unglued when a citizen or suspect even remotely appeared to challenge his authority. He would sometimes deliberately provoke citizens into challenge him, just so he could overreact. If this was anyone else, he would have been rejected on probation within the first four months, however, he was a personal friend of many members of the department, so we went the extra mile counseling him after each situation, hoping he would clean his act up. As it got towrds the end of his probationary period it became clear he was a lost cause and we began to rush the paperwork to reject him before the deadline.

The officer had previously scheduled a vacation to start just before his probationary period was to end and to finish after he became a permanent officer, giving us a tight window withing which to serve him. Possibly being tipped off that he was out to be fired, he got one of our less than stellar sergeants to approve a few extra personal days off and he was now gone while we knew his termination papers were being flown in from HQ that afternoon. For some unknown reason, the officer happened into the station to get something out of his locker. A sergeant, a lieutenant and an assistant chief all told him his day off for that date had been cancelled and ordered him not to leave so he could be served with his rejection from probation papers. He got in his car and fled. A lieutenant called him on his cellphone and ordered him to return. He ignored the order.

The4 papers arrived. we knew that if we wanted to reject him on probation we had to serve him before his probation was up. we also knew that he was flying to Hawaii the next day for his vacation. We went to his house. No answer. We staked out his house. He didn't show. We went to the airport the next day to serve him when he got on the plane but the Airport PD advised us none of the airlines had him booked. Several years later we learned he did fly out of the airport that day, but the officer assigned to check his name with the airlines was a personal friend of the officer and lied in order to keep us from serving him.

The next day, we did two things. First, we mailed a certified latter containing notice of hIs rejection to his home address, even though we knew he wouldn't be there to receive it before his probation was over. This is important for later. Next, I contacted Honolulu PD, asked if they might be able to find our officer and serve him on our behalf. All we knew was which cities on the islands he would be traveling to but not the hotels. Fortunately, the person we spoke to was the IPA travel coordinator. When we mentioned the cities, she immediately knew I was describing the "cheap tour" and which hotels were involved. Two hours later she called back and had located him. Their Chief said he wanted to review our package first. If it was not a humbug dismissal, they would serve it. If it was, they would send it back to us. We sent the package, they reviewed it and said they would serve it.

A couple days later I got a call from a couple of their detectives. They explained that they had been staked out on his hotel room for two days now, there had been no movement in or out of the room, no one was answering the door and no one was answering the phone. Given that some cops react badly to the loss of their job and fearing our officer may have committed suicide and killed his girlfriend at the same time, they entered the room. Upon doing to, they discovered our officer and his girlfriend had left via a window, taking their baggage with them and without checking out. In the mean time, the Honolulu PD/IPA person checked all our officer's other hotels and discovered he cancelled his reservations. Our guy been in the wind for some time and no one knew where he was.

The last places on our officer's itinerary was Kuaii, so I called the county police, laid out my story and asked for their help. Their lieutenant in Intelligence took it as a personal challenge. He flew over to Honolulu the next day and picked up our package from them. He entered our officer's info in Hawaii's intelligence database in case the officer's name got run and he made up flyers that were distributed to all the hotel's on his island complete with photo, advising that the subject may be trying to register under a false identity and to call immediately if he shows up.

On a Sunday evening I was at a restaurant eating dinner with friends when my pager went off showing a Hawaii callback number. It was the Kuaii Intelligence Lieutenant. When I called, he said two words, "We got him." Apparently he did try to check in using a fake name. The Lieutenant and his Sergeant knocked on his hotel room door. when he answered they identified themselves, said "Welcome to Hawaii. You're fired" and handed him his termination package. He was served three house before his probation ended (California time) and five hours before it ended (Hawaii time).

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Of course, he appealed his rejection from probation, but on procedural grounds.

State law requires that a state probationer be given 10 days written notice prior to their rejection from probation. Our officer pointed out that he was only served a few hours prior to his probation ending, thus the service was improper. We countered that the officer was verbally notified that he was about to be served in person, that he was wilfully disobedient, went AWOL, and fled the state to avoid service, and as such should not be allowed to benefit from his bad acts. The administrative law judge hearing the case ruled it was a bad service. Next, we pointed that we mailed a duplicate notice to the officer's home within the required time limit and in doing so, made proper service under the law. The officer countered that we knew he wouldn't be home to receive the notice because he would be out of state, making it a bad service. (He certainly had chutzpah) Once again, the Administrative Hearing Officer sided with the officer and ruled he had attained permanent status.

We told the officer not to come back to work as we would now fire him for cause as a permanent officer.

It took many months to get a new hearing. It was clear to everyone that the officer was lying through his teeth about the charges of misconduct against him. Her brought up how he was harassed and hunted down in Hawaii like a fugitive, when he could have just been mailed his notice of rejection. When it was pointed out the notice was mailed and he appealed the matter, he had no answer. In state service, Administrative law judges sometimes take months to render a decision. About five months after hearing the case, our judge send a noticfe to both sides recusing herself and directing that a new hearing take place as she just realized she want to college with the officer's mother. In her recusal she also noted an opinion that the officer had been less than candid in his testimony.

Several months later a second hearing took place. It ws long and dragged out. Again, the officer lied through his teeth. Many months after that, illness prevented the hearing officer from completing his task and a third hearing was ordered.

Many months after that, the third hearing took place. By now, several years had gone by. Witnesses had retired moved far away, but the officer's conduct had been so egregious that they all came back to testify. After almost five years, he was finally terminated.

We were the third department he had been rejected from probation on. Much to my surprise, he was picked up by two others in the following years and then fired.

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow........

• Four g63
                Four g63 commented
                Editing a comment
                Reminds me of the movie “Catch me if you can”

• So Fla Cop
                So Fla Cop commented
                Editing a comment
                It should not be that tough to fire somebody.

Was he paid while pending?
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• L-1
                L-1 commented
                Editing a comment
                He was paid up until the first notice of termination as a permanent officer, which was about a couple months (after the first hearing). Had he prevailed in the end, we would have owed him about five years of back pay.

As a side note, a friend who was with a local agency and did several ridealongs with us, had several enforcement contacts with him after he was fired. In each contact, our former officer did not recognize my friend, claimed to still be working for us but could not produce the appropriate credentials. Each time, my friend reminded the officer that they knew each other and called him on his BS. A couple years later, my friend was sitting on orals for reserve positions with his agency. Who walks in but our former officer who still does not recognize my friend. Out officer paints a glowing picture of his history with our agency. Once again my friend reminds him that they know each other and calls him on his BS. In spite of that, our officer insists that my friend pass him on the oral out of pofessional courtesy. Needless to say, he was a fail.

Classic...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CLT704 View Post
                I remember a story that Iowa posted about a dude who started flapping his gums before a polygraph about how he recently raped a toddler at a daycare he worked at. Apparently it was a state SA administering the polygraph. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the SA made the call to the guys agency telling them what he was just told..

What the f***?
                That wasn't me posting that one..............................

I spent about 10 yrs as a Union Steward & Local Union Executive Board member before being promoted to Lieutenant for my last 15 yrs of service. This was for a State Corrections agency of about 4000 personnel. More than one good story there.

These stories were from the time I was a Steward. We had a strong local union but we had to have SOMETHING to work with ......First two were probationary employees who we really didn't have much power over their terminations but our administration always provided a steward for any type of disciplinary action as advisory

One night the Shift Captain called me and had me report to the personnel office. When I got there a probationary officer was seated in the hallway. Said officer had about 5 days left on probation.
                I asked him what was going on and he just shook his head and looked at the floor.
                The administrative Major and the Captain were in the office & told me that probie had stole a bag of empty pop cans from the visiting room at the prison and they had video of him placing them in his car and leaving the parking lot. The midnight shift Captain had seen him do this and reported it to the Major who investigated

We brought him in and he freely admitted to taking the FIVE DOLLAR bag of cans and using the money for gas to get to work. He had no other defense other than he needed gas money. That was his last day of employment.

Again I was called by the Captain...................we had a trainee who was at the Corrections Academy and was being sent home to the institution due to misconduct....About a 2 hr drive. Administration wanted me available when he got back.

The Captain refused to tell me what was going on & I went out to personnel at the appointed time where I met with the Captain and a Lieutenant. The probie was brought in and I heard the charges at the same time the probie first heard them from the boss

The trainee had been at the academy a week and a half & had been called out several times for sexually harassing several other trainees. He had been told by both other trainees and by academy staff to stop but continued..............& escalated by sexually propositioning several other male trainees

He denied everything.

The Captain called the academy & I sat in on a conference call between 3 trainers & our office where they broke down the investigation they conducted. One of the trainers drove into the school (it was by now 9 pm) and faxed the statements of the other trainees to our office where we reviewed them

We went back to the officer and had him try to explain ............when confronted with the written statement he just sat there and refused to cooperate. That too, was his last day of employment .

By now I was a supervisor

I came into work one night and was met by the shift Union Steward. He asked me what was going to happen with Officer ABCD...................I asked him what he was talking about.

Well it seems early that morning (they were working 11pm to 7 am ) Officer ABCD was working a living unit as they were opening up the cell block for the day. The doors were opened and the officer went to the office desk (open not walled in) and promptly fell asleep in front of the other officers working AND the inmates moving about the block. I heard that the other officers tried to wake him but he wouldn't wake up for several minutes

I called the Colonel who instructed me to place the officer on paid investigatory suspension and do the workup.

Oh , I didn't mention that this officer had just had a 7 day suspension for sleeping while on a hospital watch where he was guarding an inmate in the off site hospital. His job didn't survive this investigation

I really could go on and on
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-25-2020, 08:55 AM.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well, we were interviewing an applicant for a Fed LE job when he suddenly pointed his hand like a pistol at his head (covered by a bad wig), and asked if we liked it.
                  "I lost my job, my wife left me, I lost my house, and walking down the street I saw an ad for this job and knew it was what I should be! I tried 3 times in CA, never got selected, so I flew here to Boston to try!" NOT selected.

Doing Background investigations:
                  1 guy 'forgot' 3 aliases and 3 years in jail. I put him under oath and asked him all the questions on the paperwork, and he lied again! He got 3 years in prison for false statements to a Federal Officer.

Another guy gave us the name of his Doctor - but I turned up another Doc in his small town. Doc #2 said a man with his bad back should not take any job like ours. I questioned him about it, and he claimed we 'were prejudiced against the handicapped'. I said, OK, you can proceed with your application and be arrested for false statements, or you can withdraw this instant. He chose door #2.

One of the named references for an applicant said "we don't associate with him - he got drunk and passed out at a dinner in his home!" Got a ton of good stuff, but the next AM I was told to close the investigation. Agent in another city went to the PD for a records check. They had a warrant for him for FTA on a DUI. So we called him in for an 'interview', and the locals took him off in cuffs.

(My wife was a probation officer - one guy showed up late for an interview on a stolen car charge, and parked a brand new Corvette right in front of the office door. Of course it was a fresh stolen! He got a negative report and a new set of bracelets to wear.)

The fun never stops!
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

I’m going to go off topic a little bit and instead of talking about most memorable applicants, I’ll talk Hall of Shame.

Many, many years ago, the agency I worked with dropped its minimum hiring age to 18 and picked up a young kid who was big, gangly and reminded us all of Baby Huey. He was immature and screwed a lot of things up, but he was also cute. Combine his cuteness with being big and gangly and women threw themselves all over him. He was also a sh*t magnet who attracted crime and for that reason alone, we loved it when he was on duty because we knew we would get half a dozen hot calls from his beat, usually officer needs help calls with him in foot pursuit of a really bad felon. This was in San Francisco.

After a couple of years, Baby Huey somehow made it on the Sergeant’s list. It may have been the bottom of the list, but he made it. Now, Los Angeles was considered to be the arm pit of this agency. No one wanted to go there and no one wanted to promote into vacancies there, so when a Sergeant’s vacancy came up and everyone else waived, Baby Huey took it. We now had a 21 year old Sergeant out supervising a watch in an unmarked car.

The path between the Governors’ residence and our HQ took our people down a particular busy street frequented by many ladies of the evening who were out displaying their goods for all to see. As he would drive back and forth checking on our personnel working residence security, Babu Huey got in the habit of doing a little community outreach with these fine ladies. Because he was big, gangly and cute, these ladies flocked all over him. This eventually came to the attention of the local vice cops, who called our commander and asked that he direct Baby Huey to quit playing with the hookers, especially while on duty and in uniform. Baby Huey did not take the hint and kept playing games, eventually shacking up with one of these fine examples of Los Angeles womanhood. Vice continued to complain and Baby Huey got word through the grapevine that the department was working on firing him.

Baby Huey realized that when you are about to be fired as a cop there are only two honorable ways out – eat your gun or find a way to get a disability retirement. He chose the latter. He went to a local freeway onramp where homeless were known to be living and called another officer to help him clear them out. His intention was to slip and fall down the sloping side of the onramp and claim a disabling back injury with the other officer unknowingly being witness to that injury. He was so focused on finding the right place to slip and fall so as to not really injure himself that he failed to see a slick piece of metal on the ground and slipped legitimately, falling down the deepest part of the slope, seriously injuring himself to the point that he had to retire. He then filed his retirement papers and went off work, continuing his hijinks with his lady friends.

One day while waiting for his retirement to be approved, his live in lady asked to borrow his car. He gave the keys. She didn’t come back. A couple weeks later she called him crying, saying she knew she did wrong, asking him to wire her money so she could come home. While he was young, he was not that stupid and said he would come get her. She refused to say where she was other than Las Vegas. Babu Huey had never been to Las Vegas, but he had been to Reno, which was a small town. He figured – how hard could it be to find his car in a Las Vegas casino parking lot?

He flew up there and learned Las Vegas was a whole lot bigger than Reno, but after a few days he found his car in the lot of a major casino on the strip. He contacted casino security, badged himself, told them there was a stolen car in their lot and asked what room number that license plat was registered to. Clearly knowing something was not Kosher, the casino called Las Vegas Metro PD. When they arrived, the were full of mutual aid and ready to kick a door or two down, guns blazing. That’s when Baby Huey had to fess up that it was his girlfriend that stole his car. They all went to the rook together for a reunion. He got his car keys, along with several sets of house keys she still had, and left he there.

Now after he got back, the department served his with termination papers. The conduct cited was for acts committed with prostitutes, not while he was working but after he filed for disability retirement, which had yet to be approved. (Back the retirement approval took months.)

The matter went to a State Personnel Board hearing and right in the middle, Baby Huey’s retirement request was approved, retroactive to the day he filed (which is normal). This meant that the misconduct he was being fired for occurred after he was retired. Because you cannot fire a state employee for conduct that occurred after they were retired, the State Personnel Board dismissed the case.

But, it does not stop there.

Baby Huey moved back to the San Francisco Bay Area where he began a new career as (wait for it) a pimp. We learned of this when several years later when a local agency called to tell us they had him in custody. Apparently they contacted several of his ladies who were out on the stroll and he attempted to intervene in their investigation to the extent that it was necessary to arrest him for interfering. Back at the jail he tore the cell apart. Finding his retired police ID with a CCW endorsement, the locals called and asked if would like to respond and pick it up. We did and he lost his CCW endorsement (at least for the moment).

Many years later we merged with another agency and they issued all retirees new retiree ID cards. Being unaware of his prior history, Baby Huey got a card with a CCW endorsement.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                      scotty_appleton814 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      All I can say is holy sh!+.

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow again...

• L-1
                      L-1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey, this is California, where crazy folks are normal, even in law enforcement.

Don't forget the LAPD guy who spread peanut butter on a violator's drivers license and ate it right in front of him. He did it knowing no one would believe the driver when he compained.

Most memorable that actually got hired:

A young man who was dissatisfied with the SC National Guard so he just quit going. Mind you I worked in NC. The SC authorities showed up at the police station with a warrant. The officer was called in by the sergeant where he was given the opportunity to voluntarily go with said authorities, or be booked into the jail pending extradition. We never saw him again.

A young officer learned that bars exist where women dance less than fully clothed. Instead of changing out in the locker room, he would go straight to said bar and change in the manager's office, which violated some of our policies. One night he ends up making an off duty arrest, after drinking, with his uniform inside the office. Again, never seen again.

Another probationary officer who was really too timid to be a police officer. One night at roll call the sergeant announced he was no longer part of the department because he had been arrested for among other things, putting his gun in his wife's mouth and threatening to kill her.

these were the probationary officers that were on my shift when they were fired, by no means an exhaustive list from the agency. I

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5187 users online. 297 members and 4890 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X