Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They want social workers responding to this stuff?!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They want social workers responding to this stuff?!

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...ter-foot-chase

Deputies get called for welfare check of mentally ill individual. Individual runs then stabs Deputy when he's going to be Baker-acted.

So much for those unarmed social workers.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Let the social workers get shanked. It saves cops lives. That’s what they wanted...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Full bodycam video is up at policeactivity on yotutube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkmwKAXZ2Hc

Comment

No visual of the subject's left hand?

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
          No visual of the subject's left hand?
          There are many "teaching moments" in this interaction...
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• RGDS
            RGDS commented
            Editing a comment
            HHHHHEEEEECCCCKKKK YYYYEEEAAHHH there are!

• Aidokea
            Aidokea commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, that whole interaction made me uncomfortable...

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

There are many "teaching moments" in this interaction...
          Yes, it's an excellent training video. Thankfully the officer will be around to (hopefully) learn from his mistakes.

Comment

The video also demonstrates the effects that adrenaline can have on someone. -- After deploying his taser the officer tosses his gun on the ground (apparently thinking it's his taser), then scrambles to pick it back up after realizing his mistake. That's a potentially fatal error.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
              The video also demonstrates the effects that adrenaline can have on someone. -- After deploying his taser the officer tosses his gun on the ground (apparently thinking it's his taser), then scrambles to pick it back up after realizing his mistake. That's a potentially fatal error.
              Yeah, I cringed like a MF at that point. Lots of wrong in that video. St. Petersburg (just west of where this took place) started sending social workers to calls like this. I haven't heard anything about how well or how horribly it is going for them.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Reminds me of a book by a College Prof. who was claiming cops needed to develop empathy with the crooks. (Circa 1970's) He was challenged by an officer in his class, and he went through the academy. After a week on the job he dumped out the issue ball ammo and loaded with hollowpoints (against the regs.). Then he bought himself body armor.
                At the end of the book he has some college age kids talk back to him on the street, and jerks one right out the window of the car and throws him on the ground to get cuffed. His partner? The former student who challenged him to be a cop.
                "Gee Prof., maybe if you could develop some empathy...."
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

In Los Angeles, an unarmed "crisis response team" that will respond to "non violent" calls was approved by the city council.

It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Stay tuned.

https://abc7.com/lapd-la-city-counci...calls/7027406/

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post

So much for those unarmed social workers.
                    As cold-hearted as it sounds, I’m all for it, but there is a method to my madness.

We have repeatedly seen body camera and bystander videos of incidents where officers are called to the scene of an incident. On arrival they find themselves confronted by an EDP who immediately attacks them with an instrument likely to produce great bodily injury or death, under circumstances where there is barely enough time for the officers to defend their lives, let alone have a conversation with the subject. Often, that subject winds up dead Afterwards, both untrained members of the public and trained mental health professionals launch into lengthy diatribes criticizing the officers, saying they mishandled the matter or failed to deescalate something that was impossible to deescalate in the first place.

I have frequently quoted Mark Twain who once said, a man who carries a cat home by the tail will learn more about the subject in 30 seconds that if he spends years reading up on the matter. He is never likely to be dim or dull on the subject.

We can try and educate our critics and talk to them until we are blue in the face, but they will never believe “us,” the evil police, when we tell them sometimes you just can’t deescalate and sometimes whack jobs are going to be whack jobs, no matter what you do. Instead, we need to let them carry the cat home by the tail for as many times as it takes for them to no longer be dim or dull on the subject.

That’s why I am in favor of letting unarmed social workers, crisis intervention teams, or whatever you call them, respond to and handled these calls unassisted by the police. As cold-hearted as it sounds, only after a few get stabbed, shot or their head bashed in by an EDP and their peers criticize them alleging they failed to handle the incident property or failed to deescalate, might their philosophy start to change. Then a few might start to say, “Maybe the cops were right after all.”

It’s a horrible price to pay, but if someone insists on carrying the cat home by the tail I say let them! It isn’t easy to be eccentric nowadays.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I cannot disagree, brother...

• Bing_Oh
                      Bing_Oh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Unfortunately, the spin machine will never let the blame fall on the "crisis intervention teams" or their methods. Chances are high that they will spin things back to blaming LE, saying that we never should have let them respond to what we knew was a dangerous scene alone and it was our job to protect them while they did their intervention/de-escalation hoodoo. They will be martyrs to the great ongoing social experiment, risking their lives to save those in crisis.

As I said earlier, let them stack a few bodies and then watch the reactions... Hope they have a union.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Like the legalization of hard drugs... go ahead.

Ill sit back for a while and let therapists respond to calls. Happy to do it.

Good luck, I’ll be over here waiting for them to start refusing to take calls.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I never liked those calls anyway. LOL.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3408 users online. 268 members and 3140 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X