X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ateamer
    replied
    Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
    uhhhh,check 8 posts up,day late---dollar short.

Also I caught hell in a pm because of it.
    Whoops! Missed it.

What, someone got all butthurt over a joke? Sounds like someone needs a drink....

Leave a comment:

• itnstalln
    replied
    Another random thought... You can drive the car to the theater at 16, but you can't get in to see the rated R movie.

At 16 as well you can consent to sexual activities, but aren't allowed to see naked people or even topless ladies

Edit: off topic but... ages 13 and up can watch PG13 movies which can be filled with quite a bit of shooting and violence. Now take that same movie and add in a couple F-Bombs and now its rated R. I ask which is more detrimental to society?
    Last edited by itnstalln; 06-09-2007, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LeanG
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
    Locally, we have a chapter of DAM: Mothers Against Dyslexia.
    Wow, I missed that. I had to read it twice

Leave a comment:

• equinox137
    replied
    Originally posted by itnstalln View Post
    People continue to develop and mature (most at least) into their 20's but if they raise the drinking age to 25 because because of that, do they raise the voting age, age to join the armed forces, age to be tried as adults? And should they raise the age of tobacco too then, or what about the age required to responsibly drive a 3500lb vehicle? It's kind of like saying your an adult but you have a 3 year probation period before we give you full adult privileges
    That's exactly where I think a equal-protection challenge would be brough in ref: the idea of raising the drinking age to 25....

Leave a comment:

• itnstalln
    replied
    Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
    The male brain does not mature until age 55
    Don't worry, even then it can be suppressed with copious amounts of booze

Leave a comment:

• Entre Nous
    replied
    Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
    Are you referring to my sweet and diplomatic inquiry regarding your feelings on MADD as catching hell?

Leave a comment:

• Entre Nous
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
    It took me a moment to get that.

Leave a comment:

• Jellybean400
    replied
    Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
    That's debatable after the weekend that I had.
    The male brain does not mature until age 55

Leave a comment:

• Tim Dees
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VACOP1
    replied
    Like someone said a 25 age limit of alcohol purchases, will not chenge anything... Does any one have the stats on DUI related crashes, death injuries.

What is the ratio between some under 21 dying and someone over.

Leave a comment:

• mavriktu
    replied
    Originally posted by ateamer View Post
    There's a new group out there - DAMM. Drunks Against Mad Mothers.
    uhhhh,check 8 posts up,day late---dollar short.

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    Originally posted by Entre Nous View Post
    I completely see your point. People also mature at different rates, and I've seen articles about inmates in prison having less development in certain areas of the brain, such as those which govern impulse control.

So what do we do? Make everyone get an MRI to prove that they are ready to handle adult privileges and responsibilities? It's hard to know how to apply what we know about brain development to issues in the real world.
    Make them apply for an adulthood license.

Leave a comment:

• Entre Nous
    replied
    Originally posted by itnstalln View Post
    People continue to develop and mature (most at least) into their 20's but if they raise the drinking age to 25 because because of that, do they raise the voting age, age to join the armed forces, age to be tried as adults? And should they raise the age of tobacco too then, or what about the age required to responsibly drive a 3500lb vehicle? It's kind of like saying your an adult but you have a 3 year probation period before we give you full adult privileges
    I completely see your point. People also mature at different rates, and I've seen articles about inmates in prison having less development in certain areas of the brain, such as those which govern impulse control.

So what do we do? Make everyone get an MRI to prove that they are ready to handle adult privileges and responsibilities? It's hard to know how to apply what we know about brain development to issues in the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Entre Nous
    replied
    Originally posted by Redders4786 View Post
    LOL. Hey, nobody ever said we have to be fully mature ALL the time. What would be the fun in that?

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    Originally posted by Entre Nous View Post
    I respect your feeling on that, equinox. I'm guess I'm more taking issue with people using the names of organizations in their screen names. That really rubbed me the wrong way.

I understand your question about what makes 21 a magic number. When the drinking age was 18, at least it coincided with the age of majority. Age 25 makes sense too, because they say the human brain doesn't fully mature until then. But I too have always wondered what makes the age of 21 so special, other than tradition. Yet, as you say, making people wait until 25 does seem unenforceable.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3332 users online. 161 members and 3171 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X