300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were OC sprayed yesterday

Our class had our OC certification yesterday.

It was delightful.

Heck Yeah!!!

Always amazing to see how much snot your body can produce

Comment

I just read on our board that our union has successfully won stopping active spraying of officers. Apparently two officers suffered long term damage from it? I didnt think it was all that bad. I find some of the people we come in to contact with have more offensive body smells then the spray. Now if we could can that we would really have a deterrent!
      Reality is only a perception

Comment

I really didnt produce snot. In fact the burning wasnt even that bad. I could breath perfect. My biggest problem was that I was blind as a bat.My eyes were so blurry that I find it hard to imagine a suspect successfully fighting with that vision. If I spray someone Im going to stick and move. I will pick em apart

Comment

I find it funny that many departments still require you to be sprayed prior to being certified with OC. As you will find out, when you have a combative subject and you do in fact have to spray them, you will get your fair share of overspray in the process. I understand that they want you to know the effects, but when you get caught up in the spray during a "hands on" situation, you will know what you need to do to save your *****.
          I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

Originally posted by GGw/edge View Post
            I just read on our board that our union has successfully won stopping active spraying of officers. Apparently two officers suffered long term damage from it? I didnt think it was all that bad. I find some of the people we come in to contact with have more offensive body smells then the spray. Now if we could can that we would really have a deterrent!
            Thats crazy. The whole purpose of OC is that it doesn't have any long term effects. I don't see how your department can justify using it on the public if you are saying that your officers aren't being sprayed b/c of long term effects.
            "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Missterizx when I seen you were O.C. I thought someone was asking what happens if I was in a fight with LEO and assulted them. During this assult you were OC. Oh well, I can be wrong for a chance.

Have you ever gone for the ride?

Comment

Originally posted by miked6 View Post
                Thats crazy. The whole purpose of OC is that it doesn't have any long term effects. I don't see how your department can justify using it on the public if you are saying that your officers aren't being sprayed b/c of long term effects.
                The difference between spraying it on the "public" and officers is that when it's used in the field, it's used on persons who are resisting our attempts to arrest them without the use of force. Although OC (baton, taser, etc...) may cause injury to the offender, it's being used soley to overcome their unlawful resistance. In a training scenario, I believe it is not any more necessary to expose officers to direct OC, than it is to hit them with a baton or shoot them with a firearm. If they want to volunteer for an exposure, fine. But to require it of them is (IMO) counterproductive, unreasonable and unjustifiable.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

OC Spray, etc.

OC in the face is anything but fun. However, compared to 'CS' gas used against us in US Army training, it was a walk in the park. The OC spray burns your eyes, but it does not keep you from breathing. Also, OC (Oleoresin capsicum, if memory serves me correctly) is a "natural" substance and is not a concoction of potentially lethal chemicals like CS gas.

I've been through a 'gas chamber' during military training at least twice, plus getting gassed out in the field with a CS grenade....and it sucks when you can't breathe. Trust me that not seeing is better than not breathing!

I left the sheriff's office before they ever got Tasers, though, so I don't have much of an opinion on taking the ride. I never even got to see anyone do it - except for reruns of "Cops" on Saturday night.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. CO View Post
                    Have you ever gone for the ride?
                    LOL "The ride". I have heard our local PD's Defensive Tactics instructor talk about his ride. I thought I was gonna laugh myself to death when he described it. This burly 200 lb grown man (with a deep voice mind you) apparently screamed like a girl. Maybe it's just the way he tells it, but listening to him describe it rather funny.
                    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by miked6 View Post
                      Good point trained monkey. I actually found the oc enjoyable. I am glad that we are not required to be shot with our service weapon or "struck" with our batons before we get certified. I dont know the specifics of the two that brought the case to the union. But it appears our union isnt as useless as it appears.
                      Last edited by GGw/edge; 06-03-2007, 11:38 AM.
                      Reality is only a perception

Comment

We were sprayed and then tasered like 3 days apart during the academy. They both were unenjoyable. Also, we were told that the reason being for having both of those done was so that if you had to go to court, a lawyer could ask you on the stand "Do you have any idea what that feels like?" and you could say yes and pretty much shut them up on the spot.

Comment

PHP Code:
                          I've been through a 'gas chamber' during military training at least twice, plus getting gassed out in the field with a CS grenade....and it sucks when you can't breatheTrust me that not seeing is better than not breathing
                          My DI's in Ft. Benning decided on the hottest day in August, while we were in the field, that opening CS canisters and sprinkling the power on the ground (dirt path by the way, and had not rained) was a funny idea.

Let me tell you, walking to chow and that stuff coming up at you...That is sick humor.
                          IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
                          -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

Comment

I've been OC'ed out of the academy and it sucked.. I get to be tased if I get the job with the SO. Some guys got the 5 second for fun. I think thats crazy.. I'm going to go with the 1 second. So far almost everyone said OC was more hell because of the extreme pain and the fact that it lasts for so long.

From all of you that have been both OCed and tased which was worst?

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerPD View Post
                              I've been OC'ed out of the academy and it sucked.. I get to be tased if I get the job with the SO. Some guys got the 5 second for fun. I think thats crazy.. I'm going to go with the 1 second. So far almost everyone said OC was more hell because of the extreme pain and the fact that it lasts for so long.

From all of you that have been both OCed and tased which was worst?
                              I'll take the tase over the spray....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5046 users online. 287 members and 4759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X