300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
    The bottom line, is that these are the terms of the contract(s) that our employer(s) agreed to employ us by, so don't come begging to us for our help, and then get all whiney because some of our paychecks are bigger than yours. That's just petty...
    No, that's not the bottom line. The article that YOU posted addresses the flaws in Seattle PD's OT system, and their inability to effectively and accurately track hours and account for overtime spending.

It's not about admin being jealous, whiney or petty.

Nor does the 2019 pay have anything to do with ANTIFA or recent protests/riots. You are attributing this officer's pay to events that had not even occurred yet. It defies all logic and common sense.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Not every officer is a scammer, looking to game the system, and it would be wrong to assume that we are- some of us just work harder than others.

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      Still not the point of the article. I rest my case.

This seems to explain some of it.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ear-heres-how/

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. $70K in retro pay isn't "gaming the system"...
      Last edited by Aidokea; 09-04-2020, 05:27 PM.

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      Aidokea. ...except all other officers and sergeants received similar backpay. There still remains a huge gap between the highest earner's and second highest earner's newly-accumulated 2019 overtime. That can be partially (but not fully) explained by the top earner's position as an adjunct trainer. They don't seem to know how many hours he actually worked.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought you rested your case...

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Less that $70K, he still earned $344K. He still made more than me, but it's entirely possible.

I have no idea why someone would automatically assume that police officers were doing anything dishonest...

Every agency has OT whores. In certain circumstances it can pay off for years (if OT is included in pension calculations).

My old agency had a guy that doubled the Sheriff's salary for about 5 yrs as a regular jail deputy. He was working 8hr shifts and double shifts then doubling back for double shifts for years . 80 to 100hr weeks were nothing for him. ALL VOLUNTARY overtime

He got divorced, and a kid screw up and end up in federal prison & was generally NEVER home.............but he gets a sweet pension.

He still works a full time job in retirement ......go figure
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

60 hours a week was enough for me, and nearly doubled my pay, and therefore my pension...

Comment

Life is not about the money, but I believe that I need to be a good steward of my time, so I'll help out when I can, but I expect to be paid fairly for it.

...it may upset "My Town", but it makes the Porsche payments...
        Last edited by Aidokea; 09-04-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
            60 hours a week was enough for me, and nearly doubled my pay, and therefore my pension...
            Before I promoted, I would get calls from the Captain wanting me to work OT.
            The response of a laugh usually made him laugh as he hung up.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Periodically I will see stories about officers who make a bundle like that. In 2018, the highest paid patrol officer in my agency grossed $461,443, which included $87,000 in benefits. Considering how much we get hit for federal tax, state tax and pension, I often wonder how little is of that is actually left, and once you figure that out, whether it was worth putting in all those hours.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

While that may very well be true, the article isn't about you. Based on the information provided, this clearly was not the case here.
                ...and we all know the media is fair, unbiased and provides all the facts.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

...and we all know the media is fair, unbiased and provides all the facts.
                  Fair enough. But then why bother posting an unfair, biased article that does not provide all the facts in the first place?

The OP clearly had no desire to look closer at the case, determine facts or have a rational discussion about the issues raised. He had already blindly made his own assumptions and created his own narrative -- "The patrol officer made over 400K thanks to ANTIFA".

Attributing 2019 overtime pay to 2020 riots defies all logic and common sense. But hey, who cares about logic? As long as it gets people riled up, it's all good. Kinda like what the media is doing.....

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Does the phrase "I rest my case." mean something different to you than it does to the rest of us?

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                  Wait till the 2020 numbers come out. The Chief will be the lowest paid member of SPD
                  As a Lieutenant (OT exempt) my last year before retirement .....I was the lowest paid person on my shift. Special circumstances but yep it happened. I regularly had officers beat my salary but this particular year EVERYONE on my shift made more money

We had a governor mandated furlough of 5 days for each bargaining remember over a 3 month period. However to make mandatory minimum staffing the people who were on furlough were replaced by others who were on overtime. If no one volunteered I had to order someone to work so EVERYONE got OT during that time
                  Non bargaining employees (OT exempt---supervisory) had a 7 day furlough . We had no way of making that $$$ up.
                  It played hell with my top 3 average

Comment

Every agency has OT whores. In certain circumstances it can pay off for years (if OT is included in pension calculations).

My old agency had a guy that doubled the Sheriff's salary for about 5 yrs as a regular jail deputy. He was working 8hr shifts and double shifts then doubling back for double shifts for years . 80 to 100hr weeks were nothing for him. ALL VOLUNTARY overtime

He got divorced, and a kid screw up and end up in federal prison & was generally NEVER home.............but he gets a sweet pension.

He still works a full time job in retirement ......go figure
                    I will never understand this mentality. I'd much rather live in my little home with my little car and get to spend time with my family and friends. I think people that do this don't really have anything to go home to, or they do, and they don't realize it. Also, some people that I've met like this spend money on anything and everything. You don't need much to be happy. Home, family friends, food, a few inexpensive hobbies and the right attitude.

Comment

• CCCSD
                      CCCSD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Since you’ve NEVER walked in OUR shoes, your input is irrelevant.

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good point, CCCSD- I forgot who we were talking to here...
                      Last edited by Aidokea; 09-13-2020, 05:08 PM.

When the overtime flowed I never had the time to do anything. When it was dry, I never had the money to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post

I will never understand this mentality. I'd much rather live in my little home with my little car and get to spend time with my family and friends. I think people that do this don't really have anything to go home to, or they do, and they don't realize it. Also, some people that I've met like this spend money on anything and everything. You don't need much to be happy. Home, family friends, food, a few inexpensive hobbies and the right attitude.
                      I really don't think you have any idea of the mentality of a police officer. Your prior posts and rants prove that matter

Comment

Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post

The "mentality" that I have, is that if there aren't enough officers available to meet minimum staffing levels, then I would be inclined to give up 8 hours of sleep (and seeing my wife), to make sure that my brothers and sisters in blue stand the best possible chance of surviving their tours of duty.

It is purely incidental that the product of that "mentality" is paychecks that allowed me to commute back and forth to work in a brand-new custom-ordered Porsche convertible...
                        Last edited by Aidokea; 09-13-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4827 users online. 276 members and 4551 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X