Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle patrol officer tops $400,000 annual income:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-span-of-one/

I'll bet he's thanking Antifa all the way to the bank...

Interesting, that one cop from SPD telling the protestors that he’s quitting. Wondering if he really did.

Comment

Seattle Times: A single cop got paid more than the mayor! What an appalling misuse of taxpayers money!

Illinois and their $44 billion budget deficit:
      Last edited by COMoparfan392; 09-01-2020, 10:17 PM.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

If I am correct Seattle PD uses the states retirement system which allows for overtime when calculating the High Three (or Five) years of pay. He probably just got himself an extra $1,000 a month in retirement for his 2019 OT alone.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably a LOT more than that- he more than TRIPLED his base pay, and since his pension is probably calculated directly off of his high-3, then his pension would go up in direct proportion- two more good years, and he could easily triple his pension.

See? Black lives do matter! $$$$! Thanks, BMs.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

These numbers are for 2019, so pre-protests/riots.

I suspect that once the investigation is complete, this guy will be paying back a good portion of the money he was paid. The second highest earner in the department was paid for over 700 fewer hours that year. That's a HUGE gap. I'd say it's safe to assume that either a payroll mistake was made (paid twice for some work), or blatant fraud occurred, or the overtime system was abused to the max. If it's the latter, and he gets away with it, then I guess kudos to him? His greediness will certainly trigger a complete overhaul of the system which ultimately hurts all of his fellow officers.

Comment

Greediness?

I worked with an officer that helped cover shifts that they needed covered. The brass never complained when he was helping them out- it was only when they had to write him checks based upon the union payscale that they agreed and contracted to pay him beforehand, that any eyebrows were raised.

"Overhauling" the pay system to achieve what goal- fewer officers willing to fill holes in the schedule? Shifts running short (or shorter) and the officer safety issues involved in that?

The guy just sounds like a hard worker that helped out his supervisors more than anyone else...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
              Greediness?

I worked with an officer that helped cover shifts that they needed covered. The brass never complained when he was helping them out- it was only when they had to write him checks based upon the union payscale that they agreed and contracted to pay him beforehand, that any eyebrows were raised.

"Overhauling" the pay system to achieve what goal- fewer officers willing to fill holes in the schedule? Shifts running short (or shorter) and the officer safety issues involved in that?

The guy just sounds like a hard worker that helped out his supervisors more than anyone else...
              Come on, you cannot possibly be this naive. Did you actually read the article you posted? Or do the math?

This wasn't about "covering shifts that they needed covered" or about "helping out" his supervisors or the department or the community. He was paid for hundreds (possibly a couple of thousand) hours he did not physically work. "Hard worker" my ***. More like a work smarter, not harder (or not at all) attitude. At a minimum, he abused the system.

I have years of supervisory experience and spent the last 4 years in admin. I'm well aware of all the OT games that are (or were) being played. It usually starts out with genuinely being a "hard worker"...until someone figures out a loophole to get paid for not even showing up. Then the system is changed and the loophole eliminated. It just appears that it is taking Seattle an extraordinarily long time to fix it. And to achieve what goal? To prevent fraud and waste of tax payer money.
              Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 09-03-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I have never been an OT whore- I just tried not to say no when my supervisors asked for my help.

This resulted in me working as many as 14 days in a row with no days off, regularly working 17-hour doubles back to back, sometimes working three 17 hour doubles in a row, amd occassionally working over 20 hours if trapped by a late case. I typically made an extra $50K-$70K a year in OT.

The only time I was ever paid for time that I didn't work, was if I showed up for court and got sent home- the hours I was paid were part of a negotiated union contract, and that was fair- I never "played" the system at all.

I had one ******bag Lieutenant who expressed concern over the size of my paychecks and accused me of being "greedy", so I just stopped helping him- I didn't need the money, I was just trying to help out. I certainly wasn't going to do it for free...

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                  not.in.MY.town commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your personal animosities aside...would you consider that LT a "hard worker" who just helped out a lot? Or would you say that he was taking advantage and playing the system?

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  His own Captain told me that LT D-bag was a greedy, lazy, arrogant, incompetent peice of $#!+.

I cannot disagree.
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 09-03-2020, 10:23 PM.

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sworn department personnel that were in his academy said the same thing about him. Sworn department personnel that worked alongside him when he was an officer said the same thing. Sworn department personnel that worked alongside him as a Sergeant said the same thing about him. At the Sergeant level, he was beyond the Peter Principle. We were all flabbergasted when he was promoted to LT. His fellow Lieutenants don't want to work with him. The "blue flu" runs rampant on his watch, magnitudes of order above and beyond the other two watches. This ain't about "animosity"- the guy is a straight-up D-bag, by any objectively quantifiable measure...

• not.in.MY.town
                  not.in.MY.town commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are completely missing the point. Take a deep breath. Then try to wrap your head around the essence of this discussion:

I suggested that the patrol officer likely took advantage of the OT system in order to rack up over 4,000 hours paid. You insisted that he was just a hard worker who helped out his supervisors a lot.

And now you keep going on and on about your LT who...guess what? Was greedy, lazy, slept on the job...and PLAYED THE SYSTEM.

You don't seem to realize that everything you wrote actually supports the point I was making...and is contrary to your position that this officer legitimately worked all those hours. You already defeated your own argument, and keep doubling down.

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                I have never been an OT whore- I just tried not to say no when my supervisors asked for my help.

This resulted in me working as many as 14 days in a row with no days off, regularly working 17-hour doubles back to back, sometimes working three 17 hour doubles in a row, amd occassionally working over 20 hours if trapped by a late case. I typically made an extra $50K-$70K a year in OT.

The only time I was ever paid for time that I didn't work, was if I showed up for court and got sent home- the hours I was paid were part of a negotiated union contract, and that was fair- I never "played" the system at all.

I had one ******bag Lieutenant who expressed concern over the size of my paychecks and accused me of being "greedy", so I just stopped helping him- I didn't need the money, I was just trying to help out. I certainly wasn't going to do it for free...
                While that may very well be true, the article isn't about you. Based on the information provided, this clearly was not the case here.

Comment

Not enough info to know if a wrong was done. But there is enough info to investigate the matter. A point on a chart that far away from anyone else shows something is off. At a minimum the officer has to exhausted. That alone can create safety and health issues for him and his coworkers.
                  1*

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                    not.in.MY.town commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aidokea I know, I know. You're better, smarter, work harder, make more money, drive fancier cars, go on more indulgent vacations than any of us schmucks here. You never miss an opportunity to remind us of your superiority and total awesomeness.

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I never said I was better or smarter- I simply disagree with you. Keep the gloves up, and spare me the personal attacks.

Who the eff are you, to judge how I spend the money that I earn? Some people choose to spend their money on big houses, boats, golfing, and/or jewelry. We don't. Vehicles and travel are our hobbies.

• not.in.MY.town
                    not.in.MY.town commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't give a F about how you choose to spend your money. I'm just tired of you spamming it all over the forum.

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What are you, the internet content police? Stay in your lane...

Wait till the 2020 numbers come out. The Chief will be the lowest paid member of SPD

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                    not.in.MY.town commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now see, THAT would actually make sense. 2019? Not so much.

What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

They created the exigency. They gotta foot the bill. Who cares if he’s exhausted. Ever is.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• vdfnco
                      vdfnco commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do. Not only could he be my backup. But I also care because it is unsafe for him.

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think it's safer to have an officer that's already worked 8 hours available to come cover you, than to not have any cover available at all.

The bottom line, is that these are the terms of the contract(s) that our employer(s) agreed to employ us by, so don't come begging to us for our help, and then get all whiney because some of our paychecks are bigger than yours. That's just petty...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5431 users online. 318 members and 5113 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X