Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out touch and may be out of mind. . . .

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Out touch and may be out of mind. . . .

    Hello O.com and thread,

    I recently saw this thread, "Cops Beware; Your being Watched!" which caught my attention; obviously I replied to it. In seeing it and reading the associated linked article, I see that, at least it seems, that there is a widening gap of understanding between the public and LE; at least in LA there is. I also see that there is a huge gap of misunderstanding in the media when it comes to reporting LEO activities and when some of those activities goes south, such as speeding through red lights, on legit calls, or even when it is obvious the LEO did wrong, but yet the whole PD is labeled as such. Or worse yet, now you have "Don't Snitch" shirts out now.

    I guess my question is, what happened? I used to think before that LEOs, at least back when I was growing were looked at in good light. Now it seems that if a LEO sneezes wrong or parks their cruiser near the water pump on the street, they are scrutinized. The incident in LA, the May Day demonstrations, at least showed me how out of touch things really are. What can be done to save LE's image?

    TIA
    Last edited by Raiden; 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM. Reason: Added content

  • #2
    It has a lot to do with "creative editing." Editing of otherwise innocuous video to prove or push a political agenda point of the editor/reporter. That's about all I can say on the subject. I will defer to our PIO for further questions or information.

    Comment


    • #3
      Honest reporting by the media and full accountability in every police department.

      If an officer denies someone a complaint form, and the department policies say an officer shall NEVER deny someone a complaint form, then subsequently arrests the reporter, you can bet that the chief's fierce loyalty and super liberal interpretation of "shall never deny someone a complaint form" on radio stations the next morning are NOT going to be well recieved by the public. Some of you may know what I'm talking about here.
      -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

      --ArkansasRed24

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by djack16 View Post
        Honest reporting by the media and full accountability in every police department.

        If an officer denies someone a complaint form, and the department policies say an officer shall NEVER deny someone a complaint form, then subsequently arrests the reporter, you can bet that the chief's fierce loyalty and super liberal interpretation of "shall never deny someone a complaint form" on radio stations the next morning are NOT going to be well recieved by the public. Some of you may know what I'm talking about here.
        From what I am seeing these days, in particular with the LAPD, it just seems that the public in LA and the PD are just so out of touch, and scaringly enough, this type of mistrust or even non-confidence of LE is spreading. Here in NYC it is tough to call, it depends on what neighborhood you live in. Obviously, if you're in Staten Island, or parts of LI, you're going to have a favourable view of LE,

        Is it safe to say, we can blame both the PD and city for not communicating? Or is it simply a one sided problem that needs to be addressed?

        TIA

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Raiden View Post
          From what I am seeing these days, in particular with the LAPD, it just seems that the public in LA and the PD are just so out of touch, and scaringly enough, this type of mistrust or even non-confidence of LE is spreading. Here in NYC it is tough to call, it depends on what neighborhood you live in. Obviously, if you're in Staten Island, or parts of LI, you're going to have a favourable view of LE,

          Is it safe to say, we can blame both the PD and city for not communicating? Or is it simply a one sided problem that needs to be addressed?

          TIA
          I think it falls more along the line of the people of the city saying, "We want to be safe....just don't let me know HOW you keep me safe." People are all touchy-feely with their views, until they are the victim. Then they turn Republican.

          Comment


          • #6
            It seems simple to me---most all people don't want to be accountable for their actions and will happily blame someone/something else for the cause. LEOs are human and will "close ranks" when overly scrutinized. If the officer that's being questioned, taped, criticized by the public remembers only 2 things; 1) the ONLY job you have to do is go home at the end of shift and 2) NO ONE is born with a badge on. Remember those things, do your job and you'll generally make it through your career relatively unscathed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by So Fla Cop
              I know what you are talking about, and apparently so do you with the media slant scenario you posted. Just leave out the part of the story that doesn't support your lie, and you should be in business. The part that you need, just edit it to attack the police.

              I do agree that "Honest reporting by the media" is essential, but I know that is absolutely unrealistic.
              I didn't lie genius. A guy asked for a complaint form, was asked if he would talk about it in the lobby (which of course is against what it says in the policy), and was arrested after he asked why he was being asked to leave (which was not a refusal). The chief was on the radio soon after defending the arrest and basically was BS'ing the public. If it says you shall never deny the public a complaint form, give them the damn form when they ask for it. The only thing that is going to happen from these types of situations is a feeling of intense mistrust and hatred between the department and the people they are supposed to serve.

              You blame the media when a department does something like this? Give me a freaking break. If the sergeant had handed him the form it would have ended there.
              -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

              --ArkansasRed24

              Comment


              • #8
                Aaahhhhhhh......yes. That retarded stunt. No. No one has the Constitutional right to complain. This staged event was CREATED for the camera and EDITTED for the screen. If this is your "proof" then you need to find better material.
                Space for rent .........

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just another sign of the times.

                  I grew up in the city of Philadelphia in the 70's. Back then I was taught to respect the police with a healthy dose of fear also. (Who else remembers Frank Rizzo?) (Picture on the front page of him in the 60's dressed in a full tuxedo with a billy club stuck in his cumberbun)

                  I blame parents of the Gen-Xrs and on for not teaching their kids to respect anyone.

                  Throw in a not-so-healthy dose of today's liberal media and we get what we have now.

                  For the past couple years I've thought there was going to be a "conservative backlash". Yeah, I know, never gonna happen.
                  "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
                  ____________________________________
                  http://www.danielfaulkner.com
                  Justice for Officer Daniel Faulkner
                  ____________________________________
                  09/11/2001 Never Forget

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by djack16 View Post
                    I didn't lie genius. A guy asked for a complaint form, was asked if he would talk about it in the lobby (which of course is against what it says in the policy), and was arrested after he asked why he was being asked to leave (which was not a refusal). The chief was on the radio soon after defending the arrest and basically was BS'ing the public. If it says you shall never deny the public a complaint form, give them the damn form when they ask for it. The only thing that is going to happen from these types of situations is a feeling of intense mistrust and hatred between the department and the people they are supposed to serve.

                    You blame the media when a department does something like this? Give me a freaking break. If the sergeant had handed him the form it would have ended there.

                    I have no idea what you're talking about, would you mind posting a link to this story?

                    And another thing, I noticed your profile says you hope to go into law enforcement....well with this constant negative pattern directed towards L.E. in your posts, you're starting off going down the wrong track...

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 4487 users online. 226 members and 4261 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X