• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops Beware; Your being Watched!

There is also a video you can watch!!!
    http://potw.news.yahoo.com/s/potw/40...s-watching-you

People of the WebSomebody's Watching You
    A convicted felon turns cameras on the cops, putting a balance of power, he says, back in the hands of the people.

By KEVIN SITES, TUE MAY 29, 1:42 PM PDT

"I raise my fist because I want that justice; don't get my freedom, gonna have to take my freedom." — Sherman Austin, from his song "Raise the Fist"

LOS ANGELES - On May Day, 2007, the Los Angeles police made front page news after clashing with protesters in a public park. Images of baton-wielding officers and cowering protesters, journalists among them, renewed an angry debate over police brutality in a city still scarred by the memory of the Rodney King beating.
    Sherman Austin says his own run-ins with the police led him to start Cop Watch.
    Citizen video has left an indelible mark on Los Angeles. The King video is the best-known example, but far from the only one. In 2002, a tourist filmed 16-year-old Donovan Jackson being punched and slammed against a police cruiser in Inglewood. Last year, a UCLA student taped an incident in which another student was hit by a stun gun at a school library. The video spread quickly across the Internet.

"This type of stuff happens every day in L.A.," says Sherman Austin, founder of Cop Watch LA, an activist group that was quick to post images and clips of the May Day incident. "It's just a coincidence sometimes there's a video camera around to videotape."

The LAPD disagrees, contending that the average person doesn't always consider the situation that led to the police confrontation in the first place. A spokesperson for the department says the LAPD averages 1.2 uses of force per 100 arrests, which he claims is one of the lowest in the country.

Tools of the trade
    Cop Watch LA received wide attention last year when it posted a video of an alleged gang member being punched in the face by one LAPD officer while another officer knelt on his throat. The disturbing video has been viewed more than 100,000 times on YouTube and Cop Watch LA's site.

Ironically, Austin's tool of choice, the Internet, is the same one that landed him in jail several years ago. He was convicted of distributing information about explosives — he argues that all he did was link to a page that included text copied from Abbie Hoffman's anarchist manifesto, "Steal This Book" — and now, as part of his probation, he isn't allowed to touch a computer until August 2007.

He maintains the Cop Watch LA website through instructions to other members, writing out computer code on paper and napkins.

'We want justice'
    Norma and Norbieto Martinez are supporters and frequent visitors to the Cop Watch LA office. They feel they have a personal stake in the work.

Their son Gonzalo was killed by Downey, Calif., police after a low-speed chase in 2002. Police fired over 30 rounds at him. The incident was captured on videotape by a freelance news photographer.

"My life has been a nightmare since they killed my son," says Norma Martinez. "The only thing we try to do now is help other people. You know, we felt so sorry for the people who go through this like we are going through. We don't have a life anymore. Even though I have two more sons, it's not the same."

She says they've been offered compensation by the city, but she wants the officers in jail.

"Justice," she says, "that's all we want. Justice."

Cop Watch LA members are often out at dawn to monitor police activity in downtown Los Angeles.
    A presence on the street
    Cop Watch LA is no longer relying on mere coincidence to capture images of police misbehavior. Dressed in black and red Cop Watch T shirts, the young members are motivated and vigilant — telling their own stories of victimization at the hands of police. When many young adults are often sleeping in during the weekends, they are often getting up before 7 a.m. to patrol downtown LA in an effort, Austin says, to keep police from harassing the homeless population.

I asked him if the police know about Cop Watch LA and who he is. Austin said they do, and that police told him recently, "'We know who you guys are. We know about you. We know you're out here. We're not scared of you guys.'"

But Austin said he thinks police do feel threatened when the cameras come out. The exchange, he said, "came off as kind of defensive: 'We're not [scared] of you guys.'"

"OK," he added, "we're not afraid of you either. That's why we're here."

-Producer: Robert Padavick
    -Video editors: Tommy Morquecho and Jon Brick
    Wow! This is ridiculous!! I can't believe that Yahoo is praising this guy! What would you guys do if someone just came out wearing a Police Watch Dog shirt on and started filming you?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

If they got in the way, I would arrest them for obstructing, seize their recording devices, and use them as evidence in their own arrest.

Comment

Cop Watch jerks are pretty active in the Denver and Aurora Colorado area. As far as I know, I have never been filmed by one. A little while ago, one of our campus officers was filmed by a guy during a traffic stop, after the stop the cop watch dude comes over to the officer and starts asking him a bunch of stupid questions about why he pulled the person over, whether or not he wrote a ticket, etc…

You pretty much have to let them film you, as long as they are on public property and not physically interfering with your police action. After a stop or arrest, it is very common for them to come over and “question” you and request your business card. Based on other stories I have heard, the cop watch dudes like to try and aggravate the officer as much as possible without actually breaking the law (questionable in some cases). I think that they WANT to be arrested, because they want to be able to sue and it probably gives them “street cred” or something.

A local cop watch guy recently got an $8,500 settlement from Denver PD because he was arrested for harassing an Officer!!!

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...540024,00.html

This story leaves out a lot of the details (of course! another example of why cops hate the media).
      Last edited by cc_chiller; 05-31-2007, 04:35 PM.
      "There are two sides to every story.... mine and wrong." ~Stephen Colbert

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Comment

If nobody's doing wrong, there's nothing so bad about being watched. Interfered with is another story. But c'mon. Cops watch people. People watch back. Problems only arise when either side does wrong. Misunderstandings can certainly arise without that, but should be possible to resolve those if everybody sticks to innocent until proven guilty.
        shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

I don't know. I live in a "hippy" town and there are quite a few "cop watch" activists running around. Their favorite thing to gather around is when cops look like they are arresting a dangerous suspect. Not too long ago they had complaints because officers told them they had to leave the area and when they didn't they were arrested. Why? Because the officers (3 of them) had guns drawn and 2 suspects on the ground and had already pulled a firearm off of one of them. When the officers instructed the people to backup because the guy was armed they responded with, "I see 3 armed people right now and I think they need to put their weapons away." you can imagine that went over well.

So they got upset that they were arrested. I suppose they would have sued the city if they would have been shot had the situation turned bad. "cop watch" folks need to choose their battles and stay out of the dangerous situations.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with watching/recording, however, like it was mentioned above, when you start obstructing the LEO's ability to perform their duty, than definitely there is a problem and that person should be arrested for being stupid, obstructing and putting the officers safety at risk.

On the other hand, if the John Q. Public from Whatever Watch starts recording and is obviously away from the action and not obstructing, let them record all they want; the LEO has nothing to complain about; it is their right to watch.

It is obvious that the LAPD and the media are way out of touch. Something needs to change because more and more each day, LEOs are being made like animals with a badge.I can understand that there are some bad apples out there, but, they should not let it ruin it for every PD out there.

Oh well. . .
            Last edited by Raiden; 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM. Reason: grammar errors

Comment

Originally posted by ThursCo View Post
              I don't know. I live in a "hippy" town and there are quite a few "cop watch" activists running around. Their favorite thing to gather around is when cops look like they are arresting a dangerous suspect. Not too long ago they had complaints because officers told them they had to leave the area and when they didn't they were arrested. Why? Because the officers (3 of them) had guns drawn and 2 suspects on the ground and had already pulled a firearm off of one of them. When the officers instructed the people to backup because the guy was armed they responded with, "I see 3 armed people right now and I think they need to put their weapons away." you can imagine that went over well.

So they got upset that they were arrested. I suppose they would have sued the city if they would have been shot had the situation turned bad. "cop watch" folks need to choose their battles and stay out of the dangerous situations.
              100% agreed
              shepherdess extraordinaire

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark."- Zen proverb

Comment

What would I do? Simple. Smile and wave. Ignore them, and give them nothing. They wait for and desire some sort of reaction from us. Best to just mind your manners, always assume they are watching, and conduct yourself professionally at all times. They can tape all they want, but don't get in my way.
                As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

I totally agree that they DO have the right to film as long as they are not interfering. And in most cases they have the right to come over to an officer after a stop or incident is over and ask questions (the officer doesn’t necessarily have to answer though). If they are filming me, they aren't going to catch me doing anything wrong (except for the occassional honest mistake).

Honestly it still irks me though, mainly because of their motives. They are trying to catch the police doing something wrong. Usually there is nothing to catch, so sometimes they will try and instigate it. I have heard of several cases where they do try and intentionally aggravate the officer, or get in the middle of something that they shouldn’t.

It’s not uncommon for some of the videos to end up on you-tube or other internet sites incorrectly touted as “brutality caught on tape” or something similar.

If I picked some random person on the street and started following them around with a video camera trying to catch them doing something wrong, asking them annoying questions the whole time, it wouldn’t take most people long to lose their temper big time! But as officers, we have to just calmly live with it.
                  Last edited by cc_chiller; 05-31-2007, 10:13 PM.
                  "There are two sides to every story.... mine and wrong." ~Stephen Colbert

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Comment

As long as they don't mind the cop surveilling them back

Doesn't the average driver make a mistake every 30 seconds? Be a loooong night.

Comment

Ya know, if someone asked me a bunch of questions about a stop I made, I would tell them, "Do you want me to voilate the right to privacy of the person I stopped? No, I don't think so. Ask them if they want their business spread all over the internet. If they do, they can tell you what happened. Have a nice day....er.....drive safely."

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
                        Ya know, if someone asked me a bunch of questions about a stop I made, I would tell them, "Do you want me to voilate the right to privacy of the person I stopped? No, I don't think so. Ask them if they want their business spread all over the internet. If they do, they can tell you what happened. Have a nice day....er.....drive safely."
                        I disagree, if it involves LE and an arrest, it is public information. How do you think the suspect's name gets printed in newspaper in the morning. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden View Post
                          I disagree, if it involves LE and an arrest, it is public information. How do you think the suspect's name gets printed in newspaper in the morning. . .
                          I disagree. They have the right to it if they go to court and sit in the courtroom. Screw them otherwise.
                          Space for rent .........

Comment

It is a great way to turn the tables on a "I know my rights" type of person and shut them down every time.

And thanks, scratched13. My sentiments exactly.

Comment

They get if from an official spokesperson for the PD.. I, by Policy am NOT permitted to answer any of those questions..Now move along, you're blocking this sidewalk for other pedestrians...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6826 users online. 345 members and 6481 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X