Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taurus577
    Guest replied
    No speed restriction at all. Our Safe Driver Policy also prohibits any Local Area Commander from restricting officers under his command to any set speed.

But our pursuit policy is a different matter and is extremely restrictive in when we can and cannot pursue or continue to pursue

Leave a comment:

• ray8285
    replied
    A little over a year ago our admin started rewriting ALL of our policies to fit the CALEA model. The training is always about how this will help us do a better job, but, what they fail to mention is how all these new policies are bringing on greater liability for the individual LEO and less for the dept.

Leave a comment:

• Deputy31
    replied
    Our department had a 20MPH speed restriction. We just got rid of it partly because some SWAT officers were getting caught on red light cameras exceeding the restriction while going to callouts. I'm glad our Sheriff was able to understand that cops are capable of understanding what is reasonable and giving us some decision making power.

Leave a comment:

• MarineGrunt
    replied
    That is a good policy for when a burglar is brutally raping and killing a family in progress and you are 5 minutes away getting passed by old ladies on the highway.

Leave a comment:

• Desert DPS
    replied
    Our policy is 15 over in the city and 25 over in rural areas. There is no policy in effect when we are chasing down violators for a traffic stop.

Leave a comment:

• grumpyirishman
    replied
    That type of policy is too specific and restrictive. It can easily lead to liaibility to the department the first time an accident occurs...hope they have deep pockets...We used to have one like that, until the judgement was $7,000,000.

Leave a comment:

• LeanG
    replied
    This, as with all policy is for liability purposes only. One day soon, as soon as we check in for service....................we'll be in violation of policy.

Leave a comment:

• sgttom
    replied
    agreed....................

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
    We'll see more and more of these kind of policies coming into play. Its another of those "risk management" deals that adminstrators go so ga-ga over. While it is usually sold as a "safety" issue, it comes down to liability control. Just one more way for departments to attempt to distance themselves from possible litigation.

Leave a comment:

• ChiTownDet
    replied
    Car chases, fistfights and gun battles..Everything I came on the job for are quickly flying out the window..

Leave a comment:

• scratched13
    replied
    Polices are written not for safety, as said before they are there to cut the officer loose in case something bad happens. If an officer is in trouble, and you didn't respond just on the edge of wreckless, then YOU ARE WRONG. But, know this, the politicians ...... I mean administrators, will NOT BACK YOU ONE BIT.

This is just more of the same. Lawyers, pols, and libs are destroying our society, one stupid step at a time.

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    We have the same policy with some slight variation in wording. However, if my fellow Officer needs help, screw the policy...if they want to gig me on it later, then so be it...we're CALEA certified and you can't go one day w/o breaking SOME type of policy.

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    We'll see more and more of these kind of policies coming into play. Its another of those "risk management" deals that adminstrators go so ga-ga over. While it is usually sold as a "safety" issue, it comes down to liability control. Just one more way for departments to attempt to distance themselves from possible litigation.

Leave a comment:

• pf217
    replied
    Originally posted by M4fulltime View Post
    That's part of the reason I signed up!! Drive fast, fight, and have fun while helping people in need. What's the draw to LE for new guys anymore??
    Tasers.

Leave a comment:

• M4fulltime
    replied
    That's part of the reason I signed up!! Drive fast, fight, and have fun while helping people in need. What's the draw to LE for new guys anymore??

Leave a comment:

• Matto
    replied
    Wow.... here is why people aren't lining up to apply at departments.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4700 users online. 293 members and 4407 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X