300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Response Speed Policies

Our department just made a new policy that is not being taken well that states the following: "Regardless of the level of response, under no circumstances should an officer’s roadway speed exceed the posted speed-limit by more than 20 m.ph. on any city street, or 30 m.p.h. on a state highway."

Before this policy came into effect, it was up to officer discretion. I'm interested in finding out if other department's have similar policies and if so, are they as restrictive as this one.

Speed Policies

Originally posted by M4fulltime View Post
    Our department just made a new policy that is not being taken well that states the following: "Regardless of the level of response, under no circumstances should an officer’s roadway speed exceed the posted speed-limit by more than 20 m.ph. on any city street, or 30 m.p.h. on a state highway."

Before this policy came into effect, it was up to officer discretion. I'm interested in finding out if other department's have similar policies and if so, are they as restrictive as this one.
    The Alabama Dept of Public Safety places no maximum speed restrictions on a pursuing Officer. The Officer is to take into consideration, existing road, weather, traffic conditions, the seriousness of the violation, etc. Either the pursuing Officer or a Supervisor may terminate a pursuit, if in their judgment, the risk of continuing outweighs the benefits to be gained in continuing. Should a Trooper elect to terminate a pursuit, the Supervisor cannot overule him/her. That decision is the Trooper's call. Conversely, should a Supervisor order a pursuit terminated, that call too, is non-negotiable. This is a pretty well thought out policy, and it has worked very well over the years.

Comment

I just finished doing an internship with a local sheriff's office. I read through their policies and procedures many times, setting up new books and copies for new officers. They also had a restriction of only going 20 mph over the posted speed, unless in a pursuit.

Bill

Comment

I think we have the same thing, but it's typically disregarded even by Administration and Command Staff. I'd imagine it's just to cover Admin's butt if you crash while doing 40 over, going to a stray poodle call.
        "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

Well then you would hate my dept's policy, we're not supposed to exceed the speed limit at all, regardless of what you're responding to. We've had officers get in trouble for going fast to an officer needs help. It's chicken sh**, I know..... but just cuz the policy says that doesn't mean that's what's done on the streets, but you didn't hear that from me.

Comment

Wow.... here is why people aren't lining up to apply at departments.

Comment

That's part of the reason I signed up!! Drive fast, fight, and have fun while helping people in need. What's the draw to LE for new guys anymore??

Comment

That's part of the reason I signed up!! Drive fast, fight, and have fun while helping people in need. What's the draw to LE for new guys anymore??
                Tasers.
                "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

We'll see more and more of these kind of policies coming into play. Its another of those "risk management" deals that adminstrators go so ga-ga over. While it is usually sold as a "safety" issue, it comes down to liability control. Just one more way for departments to attempt to distance themselves from possible litigation.
                  \

Comment

We have the same policy with some slight variation in wording. However, if my fellow Officer needs help, screw the policy...if they want to gig me on it later, then so be it...we're CALEA certified and you can't go one day w/o breaking SOME type of policy.
                    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Polices are written not for safety, as said before they are there to cut the officer loose in case something bad happens. If an officer is in trouble, and you didn't respond just on the edge of wreckless, then YOU ARE WRONG. But, know this, the politicians ...... I mean administrators, will NOT BACK YOU ONE BIT.

This is just more of the same. Lawyers, pols, and libs are destroying our society, one stupid step at a time.
                      Space for rent .........

Comment

Car chases, fistfights and gun battles..Everything I came on the job for are quickly flying out the window..

Comment

agreed....................

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                          We'll see more and more of these kind of policies coming into play. Its another of those "risk management" deals that adminstrators go so ga-ga over. While it is usually sold as a "safety" issue, it comes down to liability control. Just one more way for departments to attempt to distance themselves from possible litigation.
                          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                          -- John Wayne

Comment

This, as with all policy is for liability purposes only. One day soon, as soon as we check in for service....................we'll be in violation of policy.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

That type of policy is too specific and restrictive. It can easily lead to liaibility to the department the first time an accident occurs...hope they have deep pockets...We used to have one like that, until the judgement was $7,000,000.
                              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5052 users online. 338 members and 4714 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X