X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Shot
    replied
    I would have written him too.

But thats because I do real police work instead of bogus pretext stops.

I write cops and gangbangers, firemen and convicted arsonists. The best thing to do is write them all and let the judge sort em out. We are part of the executive branch, we enforce the law in a fair and equitable manner. If the violator has any excuses thats what court (the judicial branch) is for.

Where the hell in the vehicle code does it say that veterans are exempt from moving violations?

Leave a comment:

• Woofdog
    replied
    Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
    I said I would not write him, so what. I did not say that I would allow him to trample all over the laws of my state.

I have jailed many veterans. I do however have a bias toward veterans. To quote a movie, " soldiers deserve soldiers", and I try to execise my discretion when possible. If the MOH awardee committed a gross violation of the law, I would take the appropriate action. If it is an instance where the infracion is minor, like many traffic violation are, chances are he would get a pass.

That guy has been places and done things that most of us will only read about. He was harder than woodpecker lips and wrote a piece of military history by his deeds and valor. I say screw the speed infraction, educate him and let him stroll.

Again, sorry if you don't like it.

Oh, and the smartass that said it dont matter needs to have a counseling session in the wood line to square his dumb a*s away.

That's actually a more reasonable position, which I agree with. What I and some others objected to is giving a total pass to ANYONE just because of their status (war hero, cop, etc.).

I believe in using discretion wisely. However, If I pull someone and he gives me a hard time when I want to give him a warning, or if he obstructs, he's documented, no matter WHO he or she is.

Leave a comment:

• 11b101abn
    replied
    I said I would not write him, so what. I did not say that I would allow him to trample all over the laws of my state.

I have jailed many veterans. I do however have a bias toward veterans. To quote a movie, " soldiers deserve soldiers", and I try to execise my discretion when possible. If the MOH awardee committed a gross violation of the law, I would take the appropriate action. If it is an instance where the infracion is minor, like many traffic violation are, chances are he would get a pass.

That guy has been places and done things that most of us will only read about. He was harder than woodpecker lips and wrote a piece of military history by his deeds and valor. I say screw the speed infraction, educate him and let him stroll.

Again, sorry if you don't like it.

Oh, and the smartass that said it dont matter needs to have a counseling session in the wood line to square his dumb a*s away.

Leave a comment:

• scratched13
    replied
    Some day that MOHR is going to be to old and senile to drive and probably few are going to tell him out of respect. For those of you who can't take this guys license ...... leave it up to another officer to cite the guy (hopefully noone was hurt) and take his DL.

Leave a comment:

• Woofdog
    replied
    Tell that to the young victim he runs over...

Leave a comment:

• 11b101abn
    replied
    Sorry, MOH awardee gets a pass. in fact, I would proably write another cop before I would write that old Soldier.

Based on the value system I hold, he is better than all of us.

If that flies in the face of some of you, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• steexz
    replied
    depends on how fast he was going, i dont write cops 99% of the time... and it have to be something real bad for to write a cop a ticket.... and i think i would apologize..... i wouldn't have written this guy either, thats just me and this guy is a true hero... how could you write this guy...?

Leave a comment:

• t150vsuptpr
    replied
    Originally posted by Houdini View Post
    Just a quick FYI, the Officer in question is not with VSP, so please stop saying its a state police mentality problem.
    Correct, not VSP.
    He is however well known in the area for giving absolutely nobody a break, and can honestly say in court that he treats everyone exactly the same.
    And that's perfectly OK too. It's part of his "history" if so, it's part of what he brings to every encounter, it's part of his conscience, and it's perfectly within his discretion. That the next officer to stop one feels likewise is just one of the chances one takes when they choose to ignor law.
    I am not siding one way or the other, just wanted to clear it up a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• t150vsuptpr
    replied

double post
    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 06-19-2007, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Houdini
    replied
    Not VSP!

Just a quick FYI, the Officer in question is not with VSP, so please stop saying its a state police mentality problem. He is however well known in the area for giving absolutely nobody a break, and can honestly say in court that he treats everyone exactly the same. I am not siding one way or the other, just wanted to clear it up a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
    Hypothetically, no one is above the law. If someone is a danger to the public, we need to take some kind of action - whether verbal or written depends on the circumstances.

And if someone is a danger to the public, I don't give a flying rat's behind who he is or what his status is (high ranking politicians included).

I SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT.

Very true, we need to remember this is all hypothetical. Of course hypothetically speaking I would be more than happy to write a politician. I would just be more reluctant to write somebody that did all he could to defend a politicians right to be a public *****

Leave a comment:

• Woofdog
    replied
    Hypothetically, no one is above the law. If someone is a danger to the public, we need to take some kind of action - whether verbal or written depends on the circumstances.

And if someone is a danger to the public, I don't give a flying rat's behind who he is or what his status is (high ranking politicians included).

I SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT.

Leave a comment:

• djack16
    replied
    Well it was all taken hypothetically as well. Would you do this or that has been the general line of questioning here. It's definitely a debateable issue.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    Bearcat located the only "official" supporting documentation. Whether the two go together, with details given has never been substantiated.
    Myself and another LEO over at another board were the ones to pull stuff together.......

And you are correct.....after that.....who knows what happened....

And it absolutely makes me shake my head when folks try to bust the LEO or the Defendants rear for statements they supposedly said....when there has been no reports of this incident in the media, no video or audio links, or no statements from eith the Defendant or the LEO.......

All we have is some idiot that posted stuff to get folks fired up.....and it looks like they did a good job of it.....

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    Originally posted by Gene L View Post
    Well, it's a bit more than that...someone who also has a MOH license plate, who is identified as a MOH winner by the press somewhere, along with the actions he did to win this medal. Picturees were posted and news articles were quoted.

Any questions about him being the real thing are specious. It would have been bigger news had he been posing as a MOH winner. No one has disputed the basic facts, only argued whether it was the "right thing" to do.

I appreciate your support for LE, BTW. You're a stand-up dispatcher, and your department is lucky to have you. As a dispatcher, you should NOT question an officer's judgement. But as officers, we do it all the time.
    There is definitely a MOH recipient by that name, and his career outlined. That wasn't an article though, it was part of the original post that was brought over from another board.

Bearcat located the only "official" supporting documentation. Whether the two go together, with details given has never been substantiated.

I appreciate your kind words. I always get I little fired up when anyone tries to complain about my deputies.

I guess I do it here too.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3242 users online. 173 members and 3069 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X