Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA State Trooper writes MEDAL OF HONOR Recipient a speeding summons

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VA State Trooper writes MEDAL OF HONOR Recipient a speeding summons

    Posted on another site:

    QUOTE OF THE WEEK on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND:

    “Doesn’t mean a thing!”

    Spoken by Virginia Law Enforcement Officer Jim McClellan (Badge #5011) upon noticing the distinctive Medal of Honor license plate on the vehicle of World War II hero Frank Currey. Officer McClellan had just pulled over the 82-year-old hero in what one person (also LEO) described as a speed trap near Petersburg, VA. According to that same report:

    “I would of at least expected a little courtesy on Memorial Day Weekend, but I guess not”. And when Mr. Currey asked him if he saw the plate and knew what it meant, the officer replied, ‘Doesn’t mean a thing.’

    I’ve heard some real horror stories about the VSP but this one takes the cake. I definitely won’t be driving through Virginia anytime soon. You guys down there should lighten up and not take everything so seriously. On car-stops I let 90% of CIVILIANS go with a warning. I would never think of writing another LEO or member of the military, especially an 82 year-old veteran of WWII. In my book Sgt Currey is a true American hero and Trooper McClellan is a true P.O.S. But that’s just my opinion.

    Here is the story of Sgt Currey:

    He was an automatic rifleman with the 3d Platoon defending a strong point near Malmedy, Belgium, on 21 December 1944, when the enemy launched a powerful attack. Overrunning tank destroyers and antitank guns located near the strong point, German tanks advanced to the 3d Platoon’s position, and, after prolonged fighting, forced the withdrawal of this group to a nearby factory. Sgt. Currey found a bazooka in the building and crossed the street to secure rockets meanwhile enduring intense fire from enemy tanks and hostile infantrymen who had taken up a position at a house a short distance away. In the face of small-arms, machinegun, and artillery fire, he, with a companion, knocked out a tank with 1 shot. Moving to another position, he observed 3 Germans in the doorway of an enemy-held house. He killed or wounded all 3 with his automatic rifle. He emerged from cover and advanced alone to within 50 yards of the house, intent on wrecking it with rockets. Covered by friendly fire, he stood erect, and fired a shot which knocked down half of 1 wall. While in this forward position, he observed 5 Americans who had been pinned down for hours by fire from the house and 3 tanks. Realizing that they could not escape until the enemy tank and infantry guns had been silenced, Sgt. Currey crossed the street to a vehicle, where he procured an armful of antitank grenades. These he launched while under heavy enemy fire, driving the tankmen from the vehicles into the house. He then climbed onto a half-track in full view of the Germans and fired a machinegun at the house. Once again changing his position, he manned another machinegun whose crew had been killed; under his covering fire the 5 soldiers were able to retire to safety. Deprived of tanks and with heavy infantry casualties, the enemy was forced to withdraw. Through his extensive knowledge of weapons and by his heroic and repeated braving of murderous enemy fire, Sgt. Currey was greatly responsible for inflicting heavy losses in men and material on the enemy, for rescuing 5 comrades, 2 of whom were wounded, and for stemming an attack which threatened to flank his battalion’s position.








  • #2
    I googled this....and have found several posts about it from military related sites.....

    Problem is....there are NO LINKS TO THE ORIGINAL STORY!!

    One guy that posted it is from Colorado.....how the hell does he know what is going on out here in the Commonwealth...?

    Until I see a link to a reliable media source......I'm not buying it.....

    Comment


    • #3
      While no one is truly above the law I think discretion here would have been the better part of valor. Not everyone needs to go to jail and not everyone has to be written a ticket. While I'm sure the Trooper doesn't care, he will have to live with what he did. I don't agree with it and I do think it's in poor taste (even though we don't have the person's heroic history at the time of the stop). I honestly don't believe there aren't many people in this world who don't speed ....my mother in law is an exception...she drives me crazy with her following the rules.

      I wouldn't write a cop and I wouldn't write this guy and the response by the Trooper...extremely callous and unprofessional.
      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

      Comment


      • #4
        Until someone shows me the tape, I will remain skeptical about the incident. But, if this was a true quote: “I would of at least expected a little courtesy on Memorial Day Weekend, but I guess not,” then I would say, sorry, but one SHOULD NOT EXPECT courtesy. Hope for it, but don't expect it. I don't like cops EXPECTING courtesy. That is the ATTITUDE that I think causes problems. When one EXPECTS courtesy, it shows that they believe that regardless of how much they break the law, they are above the law. Yes, I understand that we are talking about traffic law. But again, PC or courtesy is extended by the (on duty) OFFICER. It is not ENTITLED to the recipient.

        My 2 cents.
        Space for rent .........

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
          I googled this....and have found several posts about it from military related sites.....

          Problem is....there are NO LINKS TO THE ORIGINAL STORY!!

          One guy that posted it is from Colorado.....how the hell does he know what is going on out here in the Commonwealth...?

          Until I see a link to a reliable media source......I'm not buying it.....
          Gonna have to agree with Bearcat357 on this one.

          Checked Google, Snopes & some others. Found links to various Forum articles but no major media.

          On a side note - DAMN this guy is one brave soldier! Incredible story.

          He was even a model for G.I. Joe - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n10406568
          "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
          ____________________________________
          http://www.danielfaulkner.com
          Justice for Officer Daniel Faulkner
          ____________________________________
          09/11/2001 Never Forget

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Operator13 View Post
            Gonna have to agree with Bearcat357 on this one.
            Checked Google, Snopes & some others. Found links to various Forum articles but no major media.

            I just emailed Snoopes with the text of the posting (it was the same on every forum I saw it at)..... Hopefully, they can make this go away soon.....

            Comment


            • #7
              O. come on, let it go

              The Officer was doing his job. Nothing or nobody should ever, ever get a Free pass, for being oblivious to the laws of the road. This gentleman is to be commended for his heroic military service to his country. But he above all should recognize that we all have to obey the laws of the land. It gives us what you call civility and distinguishes us from other countries! I would only say, that the OFFICER used a poor choice of words, in that he was corrrect to say."It doesn't matter, sir, because you were speeding and its my duty to write you a ticket. The reason I'm citing you is because many beloved citizens die each year on our roads and h'ways becasue they risked not only their lives but someones else's life by speeding. Its a matter of TACT', should have learned this in the ACADEMY. Bedside manner or PR is very important in reflecting the duties of an OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN! Choosing the right words at the right time might not seem important to some officers, but remember YOU ARE REPRESENTING THE LAW!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SW3793 View Post
                Posted on another site:

                QUOTE OF THE WEEK on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND:

                “Doesn’t mean a thing!”

                Spoken by Virginia Law Enforcement Officer Jim McClellan (Badge #5011) upon noticing the distinctive Medal of Honor license plate on the vehicle of World War II hero Frank Currey. Officer McClellan had just pulled over the 82-year-old hero in what one person (also LEO) described as a speed trap near Petersburg, VA. According to that same report:

                “I would of at least expected a little courtesy on Memorial Day Weekend, but I guess not”. And when Mr. Currey asked him if he saw the plate and knew what it meant, the officer replied, ‘Doesn’t mean a thing.’

                I’ve heard some real horror stories about the VSP but this one takes the cake. I definitely won’t be driving through Virginia anytime soon. You guys down there should lighten up and not take everything so seriously. On car-stops I let 90% of CIVILIANS go with a warning. I would never think of writing another LEO or member of the military, especially an 82 year-old veteran of WWII. In my book Sgt Currey is a true American hero and Trooper McClellan is a true P.O.S. But that’s just my opinion.

                Here is the story of Sgt Currey:

                He was an automatic rifleman with the 3d Platoon defending a strong point near Malmedy, Belgium, on 21 December 1944, when the enemy launched a powerful attack. Overrunning tank destroyers and antitank guns located near the strong point, German tanks advanced to the 3d Platoon’s position, and, after prolonged fighting, forced the withdrawal of this group to a nearby factory. Sgt. Currey found a bazooka in the building and crossed the street to secure rockets meanwhile enduring intense fire from enemy tanks and hostile infantrymen who had taken up a position at a house a short distance away. In the face of small-arms, machinegun, and artillery fire, he, with a companion, knocked out a tank with 1 shot. Moving to another position, he observed 3 Germans in the doorway of an enemy-held house. He killed or wounded all 3 with his automatic rifle. He emerged from cover and advanced alone to within 50 yards of the house, intent on wrecking it with rockets. Covered by friendly fire, he stood erect, and fired a shot which knocked down half of 1 wall. While in this forward position, he observed 5 Americans who had been pinned down for hours by fire from the house and 3 tanks. Realizing that they could not escape until the enemy tank and infantry guns had been silenced, Sgt. Currey crossed the street to a vehicle, where he procured an armful of antitank grenades. These he launched while under heavy enemy fire, driving the tankmen from the vehicles into the house. He then climbed onto a half-track in full view of the Germans and fired a machinegun at the house. Once again changing his position, he manned another machinegun whose crew had been killed; under his covering fire the 5 soldiers were able to retire to safety. Deprived of tanks and with heavy infantry casualties, the enemy was forced to withdraw. Through his extensive knowledge of weapons and by his heroic and repeated braving of murderous enemy fire, Sgt. Currey was greatly responsible for inflicting heavy losses in men and material on the enemy, for rescuing 5 comrades, 2 of whom were wounded, and for stemming an attack which threatened to flank his battalion’s position.

                As they say, I'm not sure of the Rest of the Story" But first of all, thanks to Sgt Curry for his commendable service to his country. However...for him to call attention to his vanity license plates would suggest that we owe him a little more than the rest of the citizenry of this country?? It would have served him well, it his response to the Officer would have been one of a more humble attribute as to acknowledge he was speeding, very sorry, and I know I deserve this ticket. ...Then who knows what might have happened.





                Comment


                • #9
                  There is a reason why we dont have to wake up every morning and "hail hitler" The nazi's wanted to fight us on our shores but because of the brave men and women that kicked some nazi butt we can sleep at night in peace.

                  Memorial day does have a meaning. The trooper at least could have said Yes I know what it means and I thank you for your service but, you were speeding sir.
                  sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What if it had been a dirt-bag carjacker who had beaten up the Medal of Honor winner?

                    Having a plate on a vehicle doesn't guarentee the person inside is the rightful owner.
                    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                      What if it had been a dirt-bag carjacker who had beaten up the Medal of Honor winner?

                      Having a plate on a vehicle doesn't guarentee the person inside is the rightful owner.
                      I would hope a trooper had the common sense to distinguish between the two. Does the guy in the picture look like a dirt bag carjacker, who could even beat up anyone?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matto View Post
                        I would hope a trooper had the common sense to distinguish between the two. Does the guy in the picture look like a dirt bag carjacker, who could even beat up anyone?
                        I believe the implication was that he had "Medal of Honor" plates on his vehicle and should never have been pulled over in the first place.....it's sort of the opening sentence of the article.

                        My argument was that a plate designation should not determine whether you pull over a car.

                        I could have easily said: "What if that elderly Medal of Honor winner was in the middle of a medical crisis, and that's why he was driving recklessly?"
                        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                          I believe the implication was that he had "Medal of Honor" plates on his vehicle and should never have been pulled over in the first place.....it's sort of the opening sentence of the article.

                          My argument was that a plate designation should not determine whether you pull over a car.

                          I could have easily said: "What if that elderly Medal of Honor winner was in the middle of a medical crisis, and that's why he was driving recklessly?"
                          IF, and that's a big IF the story is true. I agree the Trooper should have still stopped him, and given him a stern lecture. HOWEVER, I do not know policies of the Virginia State Police, or work for the Virginia State Police, NOR am the one giving the ticket. (It could be a mandatory citation for every stop day..) Now assuming the infraction was minor, it being memorial day weekend, and all his information was current and valid. I would never cite a Medal of Honor recipient.

                          Receiving the Medal of Honor is a task that very few people recieve, and it just doesn't go to ANYONE. In my personal opinion, MOH recipients are entitled to more courtesies than any senator, celebrity, HOR congressmen, state, local, and county politician, THE PRESIDENT of the United States, all members of the cabinet, and any police officer in the continental United States...

                          And if other officers let some of them go on PC or because their job depends on it... It's only fair this guy get's it too. If you cite a Medal of Honor recipient for a minor infraction.. You better cite your own mother, kids, wife.. and I want you writing a ticket to yourself if you blow through a stop sign. That's just my opinion, again... before you complain read the constant quasi-disclaimers.

                          And I'm called a Ticket Nazi...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                            I believe the implication was that he had "Medal of Honor" plates on his vehicle and should never have been pulled over in the first place.....it's sort of the opening sentence of the article.

                            My argument was that a plate designation should not determine whether you pull over a car.

                            I could have easily said: "What if that elderly Medal of Honor winner was in the middle of a medical crisis, and that's why he was driving recklessly?"
                            If that was the case, I'd agree. My impression was that the guy was upset because even though the trooper was aware of his plates, he still wrote him, which I think is petty.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Margaret Hood View Post
                              should have learned this in the ACADEMY.
                              I am very new here, and not an LEO yet, but I have to ask: Why do you think you know what a law enforcement officer should and shouldn't have learned in the academy? You have not been to an academy, therefore you have absolutely no knowledge of what you are insulting.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2844 users online. 133 members and 2711 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X