Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A random question for Canadian Cops / RCMP

Hi there.

I was wondering if anybody knows about the "Maintain the Right" black wristband, similiar to the yellow "Live Strong" wristband by Lance Armstrong.

I know a couple individuals who have them, but then there are others that don't even know about them.

Does anybody know if one may purchase the wristband? If so, where to purchase it from. This question may apply to any officers outside of Canada too, although I am not sure if the wristband circulates around the United States as well.

Thanks!

A little Google and I found out this:

http://forum.blueline.ca/viewtopic.p...05a92dd6d7fffe

"Maintain the Right" is apparently a poor translation from the French "maintiens le droit" or Maintain the Law. It is also taken to mean maintain the right, as in, do the right thing.

Apparently they have stopped producing them.

Comment

Hmm yes, it seems to be that way. The post was back in 2005 too.
      That's really unfortunate.

Comment

http://www.reminderband.com/index.php

That website sells custom silicone wristbands. They don't seem to sell in quantities smaller than 5, though.

Comment

Hmm. I'm sure there is a specific manufacturer for them. I'll have a look around and see if I can find it.

Comment

I've never heard of those wrist bands, but "Maintain the Right" wrist band would probably not be sanctioned by the RCMP. I doubt they would create a badly translated wrist band that goes against there moto. The RCMP's moto is "Maintein le Droit" this is on all RCMP crests and badges. The translation to english is more like "Maintain the Peace".

Comment

I do not know much about the wristbands at all. I know a few friends which are members of the RCMP do have them.

If I understand correctly, they had changed it to translate into "Maintain the Right." Like I said before, I don't know much about them and I have just been finding information by searching through the BlueLine Forum online.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Oh, jez thankfully I have my blues and we're not standing in the drill hall having this conversation.

"Maintein le Droit" may translate into "Maintain the Peace", but we've translated it to "Maintain the Right". Which then translates to uphold the law.

As for the bands. They are morning bands that were sold to raise money for the fallen four who were murdered in Mayerthorpe, Alberta.

If you follow the link someone there may know where you can pick one up. Also, you may be able to try at the front counters of some of the bigger detachments, like Surrey, Burnaby, Langley, Richmond, Coquitlam, etc. They weren't sold directly at the fount counters, they were sold by usually one or two members, but they may be able to get your contact info and pass it along to one of those members.

If you were wanting to buy one to support the families of Schiemann, Gordon, Myrol, and Johnston, there are other many other things you can do to be supportive.

If you wanted to buy just police wristband you can buy a "Cops for Cancer" light blue wrist band at any of those detachments. Again though, it's sold privately via by members and not by the front counter staff.

One last thing, if you are currently a student and 21 years old like your profile says, don't wait until school is finished to pursue your career in policing. Apply now, and let us pay for your education once you're a member.

There has never been a better time to apply. Here are the lower mainland career presentations listings

Go to the next presentation and sign up to write the test (30 days later).

Good luck

Comment

Cst. SB, thank you for the clarification with the wristbands, and all the helpful information.

As for my career goals. I'm one step ahead of ya ! In January, I attended an information session and signed up to write my written exam. I received my scores indicating that I did pass, along with a thick application package from the RCMP. My due date for the application package was April 30, 2007. I completed everything, and sent it back in.

I recently got a call back from the recruiting office regarding my Pre-Employment Polygraph. After going over a few things, and elaborating on some of my answers, he indicated that my application looked excellent, but they wanted me to re-apply next year. Anyhow, he gave me positive reinforcement, told me I was well on my way and that I should write a letter next May. I will do so, and I have not given up. I will be joining the RCMP, it's just a matter of time.

In the mean time, I will be looking at enrolling in some Criminology courses starting in September. I volunteer within my community quite a bit, on a Crisis Line as well at the local SPCA, and I should be starting RCMP Victim Services fairly soon as well.
                  Last edited by Meeah; 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeah View Post
                    Cst. SB, thank you for the clarification with the wristbands, and all the helpful information.

As for my career goals. I'm one step ahead of ya ! In January, I attended an information session and signed up to write my written exam. I received my scores indicating that I did pass, along with a thick application package from the RCMP. My due date for the application package was April 30, 2007. I completed everything, and sent it back in.

I recently got a call back from the recruiting office regarding my Pre-Employment Polygraph. After going over a few things, and elaborating on some of my answers, he indicated that my application looked excellent, but they wanted me to re-apply next year. Anyhow, he gave me positive reinforcement, told me I was well on my way and that I should write a letter next May. I will do so, and I have not given up. I will be joining the RCMP, it's just a matter of time.

In the mean time, I will be looking at enrolling in some Criminology courses starting in September. I volunteer within my community quite a bit, on a Crisis Line as well at the local SPCA, and I should be starting RCMP Victim Services fairly soon as well.
                    Well, you sound well on your way to becoming a member.

Before you jump into Crim, BCIT has an excellent Leadership program (30 credits - part-time). Courses can be taken in five full-time days, 12 weeks (3 hours one night a week), and five 8 hour long Saturdays, formats. It's a great program and is directly related to core competencies of the force.

Don't lump everything you do in the realm of policing. Remember to keep yourself well rounded and interesting.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for your response, Cst. SB.

The course that you mentioned available at BCIT, do you know if it is available online? I am not located on the mainland, I am unfortuantely on Vancovuer Island in a smaller town, and the college is limited with the courses that they do offer. I chose Criminology because it is new and is just being offered this year. I will just be taking single coures part time for right now, but I would be interested in a Leadership course too.

Do you have any suggestions of what else I could be doing while I wait to re-apply next year?
                      Last edited by Meeah; 05-31-2007, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb View Post

Oh, jez thankfully I have my blues and we're not standing in the drill hall having this conversation.

"Maintein le Droit" may translate into "Maintain the Peace", but we've translated it to "Maintain the Right". Which then translates to uphold the law.
                        I probably should know this but I will know it for sure in a few weeks, I start at Depot tomorrow!!

Note to self: do not have this conversation in drill.

Comment

Wow. I'm jealous. Congratulations.
                          Last edited by Meeah; 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nappy View Post
                            I probably should know this but I will know it for sure in a few weeks, I start at Depot tomorrow!!

Note to self: do not have this conversation in drill.
                            Nappy, if by any chance you see this before leaving today. Pack a pillow (and cases) or buy one at Walmart!!!!!

You are issued one pillow, and if you don't want to iron it daily, you'll heed my advice!! haha

Congrats and good luck, and remember to have fun.

Comment

Note to self: next time I am at the 'Ranch, look for a sorry individual, walking around with an extra pillow under his arm, muttering to himself, "Maintiens le droit! Maintiens le droit! That's IS what cst. sb said, right?!"
                              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3821 users online. 144 members and 3677 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X