Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop shoots daughter, thinking she's a burglar

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news....d=517514&rfi=6

STRATFORD — A New Haven police officer shot his daughter in the knee Tuesday after he mistook her for a burglar as she tried to sneak into her home after a late-night rendezvous with her boyfriend, police said.

New Haven police Officer Eric Scott, 41, who has been on medical leave from his job since he was hit and dragged by a truck in November, fired one shot from his Glock service weapon at what he thought was an intruder at his Soundview Avenue home at 1:09 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

It turned out to be his 18-year-old daughter, Tasha.

"She apparently snuck out to go to her boyfriend's," Stratford police spokesman Capt. Christopher Marino said. "He interrupted what he thought was a burglar. ? He heard a noise and saw something in the shadows, and shot."

Scott was not charged with any crime. According to police, he was asleep when a motion-sensitive light in the rear of his home activated, and Scott loaded his service revolver and went to look.

Checking the house, Scott found that a basement door that had been locked when he went to bed was now open, and Scott fired a single round at a "shadow moving in the basement bathroom," which turned out to be his daughter.

Scott called 911 after making the discovery, police said, and the daughter was taken to Bridgeport Hospital where she underwent surgery. The bullet traveled up her leg and lodged in her thigh area, police said. Tasha Scott was listed in critical but stable condition Tuesday evening, the hospital said.

Scott wouldn't comment on the incident later Tuesday. However, several law enforcement officials questioned Scott's tactics, sources said. Police Capt. Thomas Rodia, commander of the Stratford detective bureau, did not return calls late Tuesday. A police report makes no mention that Scott shouted or identified himself before he fired.

While Scott, a nine-year veteran of the New Haven department, was not charged in the shooting, the matter will be forwarded to the state's attorney's office in Bridgeport, Marino said.

New Haven police spokeswoman Bonnie Posick said that because Scott is out of work on injured status, there is no need to take any administrative action after the shooting.

In the Nov. 10 accident in New Haven, Scott was behind an AT&T truck as it started to back up Forbes Avenue and collect traffic cones. Somehow, the truck backed over Scott, who was directing traffic, and he frantically shouted into his radio for help as stunned motorists tried to get the attention of the driver.

Stratford police are still investigating the shooting, and once completed, the results will be turned over to Bridgeport State's Attorney Jonathan Benedict for review, police said.

Well, I guess that'll learn her.

Comment

Again, the media screws this one up.......

Originally posted by xraodcop View Post

STRATFORD — A New Haven police officer shot his daughter in the knee Tuesday after he mistook her for a burglar as she tried to sneak into her home after a late-night rendezvous with her boyfriend, police said.

New Haven police Officer Eric Scott, 41, who has been on medical leave from his job since he was hit and dragged by a truck in November, fired one shot from his Glock service weapon at what he thought was an intruder at his Soundview Avenue home at 1:09 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

"She apparently snuck out to go to her boyfriend's," Stratford police spokesman Capt. Christopher Marino said. "He interrupted what he thought was a burglar. ? He heard a noise and saw something in the shadows, and shot."

Scott was not charged with any crime. According to police, he was asleep when a motion-sensitive light in the rear of his home activated, and Scott loaded his service revolver and went to look.

Checking the house, Scott found that a basement door that had been locked when he went to bed was now open, and Scott fired a single round at a "shadow moving in the basement bathroom," which turned out to be his daughter.

Scott called 911 after making the discovery, police said, and the daughter was taken to Bridgeport Hospital where she underwent surgery. The bullet traveled up her leg and lodged in her thigh area, police said. Tasha Scott was listed in critical but stable condition Tuesday evening, the hospital said.

Scott wouldn't comment on the incident later Tuesday. However, several law enforcement officials questioned Scott's tactics, sources said. Police Capt. Thomas Rodia, commander of the Stratford detective bureau, did not return calls late Tuesday. A police report makes no mention that Scott shouted or identified himself before he fired.

While Scott, a nine-year veteran of the New Haven department, was not charged in the shooting, the matter will be forwarded to the state's attorney's office in Bridgeport, Marino said.

New Haven police spokeswoman Bonnie Posick said that because Scott is out of work on injured status, there is no need to take any administrative action after the shooting.

In the Nov. 10 accident in New Haven, Scott was behind an AT&T truck as it started to back up Forbes Avenue and collect traffic cones. Somehow, the truck backed over Scott, who was directing traffic, and he frantically shouted into his radio for help as stunned motorists tried to get the attention of the driver.

Stratford police are still investigating the shooting, and once completed, the results will be turned over to Bridgeport State's Attorney Jonathan Benedict for review, police said.
      I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

Unfortunate situation. I hope everything turns out OK for the officer and his daughter.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by Tunkle View Post
          Again, the media screws this one up.......
          I noticed that too. I hadn't realized Glock started making revolvers.

That's why you don't send the anti-gun hippy reporter.

Comment

To any fathers with teenagers out there…
            A piece of scotch tape on the front and back doors works wonders.
            If the tape is broken when you wake up, someone is getting grounded.
            I'm back in the game baby.

Not a LEO.

Comment

Wouldn't it have been easier (and more logical) to just shoot the boyfriend?

Comment

I blame the "service revolver" thing on the British. They refused to acknowledge an automatic, at least in film and fiction. I think it comes from the fact the British never had an auto until after WW II, and a lot of officers bougth their own "Service Revolvers" which they kept after the various wars were over.

In Alfred Hitchock's "The 39 Steps" a guy is holding a small-framed auto in his hand, and the other guy says, something like "If you move, I'll shoot you with this revolver.!"
                "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant
                  To any fathers with teenagers out there…
                  A piece of scotch tape on the front and back doors works wonders.
                  If the tape is broken when you wake up, someone is getting grounded.
                  I would have gone undetected as your kid, I always climbed out my window

Originally posted by jakflak
                  I noticed that too. I hadn't realized Glock started making revolvers
                  Heh, it's scary how many people I know who use the term "Glock" to describe any handgun.

Comment

Wow....she's 18 and still has to sneak out, and got shot coming back in. Now THAT's a parent exhibiting tough love!

Kidding aside, I hope all turns out OK for the family.

Comment

All I can say is wow......just wow.
                      Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                      I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                      Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                      as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Maybe he was just giving her a night cap...

Comment

Originally posted by sockherman View Post
                          Maybe he was just giving her a night cap...
                          PRICELESS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop View Post

Officer Scott, Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up. The scenario described fits perfectly into breaking and entering pattern. You were certainly ready and many of us would have done the same thing, because we want to protect our home and loved ones. You made a decision and it could have been your life. So..it turns out differently. Very unfortunate, but your daughter should have grown up a lot more after this incident. Who knows, it might prove to be the best thing that happened to her, although a very hard lesson indeed. Hope all turns out well.

Comment

I guess she won't be doing that again...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3223 users online. 145 members and 3078 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X