Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rode along tonight, got to DRIVE the police car....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rode along tonight, got to DRIVE the police car....

    Someone called in about an MIP party so we parked a couple blocks away and crept up on them. One of the girls ended up running so the FTO I was riding with decided he was going to arrest her. He walked over and gave the keys to me.... at first I thought he was going to make me wait in the car.. but he says "pull it over, and dont crash it".... I only got to drive it a few blocks but it was totally cool, especially since he let me do it alone, I had no idea that was allowed.

  • #2
    Originally posted by michiganDT View Post
    I had no idea that was allowed.
    It probably isn't. haha

    Pretty cool though.

    Comment


    • #3
      LOL...I doubt it is...don't go telling peeps, you're liable to get him in some trouble.
      sigpic

      I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by michiganDT View Post
        Someone called in about an MIP party so we parked a couple blocks away and crept up on them. One of the girls ended up running so the FTO I was riding with decided he was going to arrest her. He walked over and gave the keys to me.... at first I thought he was going to make me wait in the car.. but he says "pull it over, and dont crash it".... I only got to drive it a few blocks but it was totally cool, especially since he let me do it alone, I had no idea that was allowed.
        Remember, Everything you thought you knew really isn't in that code book. Some circumstances call for estraordinary testing! And sometimes it just calls for being KOOL! But in your case common sense is the dictum. So why not?? Hey you earned it!

        Comment


        • #5
          I had a chance to drive a squad car too. It was part of the Citizen's Police Academy training. We went out with an officer who drove the course first to show us what we were supposed to do. By the time he got done I was sick, too much swerving, accelerating, more swerving and then coming to a sudden stop. When it was my turn, there was still too much swerving and stopping. I couldn't take it. I don't know how they do it.

          Have you ever considered taking a Citizen's Police Academy?
          Chocolate cures all ailments


          Memo:

          Get over it already.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's cool getting behind the wheel of police car, but after 8 hours (or more ) it's nice getting out from behind it too! Good luck.
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

            "You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CWMQKClady View Post
              Have you ever considered taking a Citizen's Police Academy?
              If I get a chance to get training I will probably do it as a reserve, this particular department lets the reserves do almost anything a normal officer does with the exception of being under the supervision of one at all times and you work for free. You get a badge, get to drive the patrol car, and I am pretty sure you get to pull people over, etc. As to whether you write them tickets or not, I don't know.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Margaret Hood View Post
                Remember, Everything you thought you knew really isn't in that code book. Some circumstances call for estraordinary testing! And sometimes it just calls for being KOOL! But in your case common sense is the dictum. So why not?? Hey you earned it!
                Huh???
                "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  LOL...I doubt it is...don't go telling peeps, you're liable to get him in some trouble.
                  Smurfette is right, keep it on the D/L(Down Low) I am pretty sure that if you say something about this to anyone else in passing it can ge ugly for him.
                  LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by C.I.HOG View Post
                    Smurfette is right, keep it on the D/L(Down Low) I am pretty sure that if you say something about this to anyone else in passing it can ge ugly for him.

                    His city is pretty far from mine, I do not know anyone there. I chose it for its high crime (I wanted to see what a REAL beat looked like, every other call looked like it was straight out of COPS).

                    Another thing that was cool, and I don't know if you guys have this, but he had a speaker in the car attached to a microphone so I could hear what he and the suspects/complainants were saying when he was inside the building (on unsafe calls where he would not let me in). I don't think his department cares because according to him that MIC records everything and so does his squad camera, so technically I am already on camera driving it and he is on mic telling me to.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sorry, man, but I don't think he was all that smart in letting you drive. maybe I'm what-iffing it to death, but if you were to get into an accident, it's his butt in a sling. I doubt very seriously if the city's insurance covers you, not to mention that you took on a role of police officer meaning that someone else walking by would make the assumption that that's what you are and (I don't mean this as an insult) you're not equiped to handle yourself as such. I would be very leary in the future of someone who takes YOUR safety and HIS job so lightly.
                      sigpic

                      I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't think that was smart at all what he did either but whatever. It was his call.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We have to remember that this is Michigan..
                          "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

                          "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                            Sorry, man, but I don't think he was all that smart in letting you drive. maybe I'm what-iffing it to death, but if you were to get into an accident, it's his butt in a sling. I doubt very seriously if the city's insurance covers you, not to mention that you took on a role of police officer meaning that someone else walking by would make the assumption that that's what you are and (I don't mean this as an insult) you're not equiped to handle yourself as such. I would be very leary in the future of someone who takes YOUR safety and HIS job so lightly.
                            I've done interviews with cops while riding in the squad car. TV COPS style. (No narration, just the cops telling the story). I once did an interview and there was a call for backup. We got there and it was a lady brandishing a gun at her husband. The cop I was riding with backed up the car after we parked in front of her house and told me to stay put. He got out of the car ran up to the house and she started going crazy, then barricaded herself in the house. She never fired the gun, but the cop yelled at me to pull the car out of the way because SWAT was on the way.

                            I think if I am an asset and help out, then it is o.k. It's not like he let me drive and pull people over.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had the chief tell me to take a unit to a hostage situation and cover the outer perimeter by blocking off traffic to the area. This was back when I was 18 and an explorer reporting in for a ride along. The keys that were tossed to me were for a marked unit. The chief had the power to do so, although one would wonder about liability. Oh yeah the chief is retired and the entire department was on the scene, so I am not worried about this like the other recent post.

                              Here is the Tennessee law on commanding others to aid an officer.

                              38-3-102. Duties of sheriff. —

                              (a) The sheriff is the principal conservator of the peace in the sheriff's county. It is the sheriff's duty to suppress all affrays, riots, routs, unlawful assemblies, insurrections, or other breaches of the peace, to do which the sheriff may summon to such sheriff's aid as many of the inhabitants of the county as such sheriff thinks proper.

                              38-3-103. Other conservators of the peace. —

                              The judicial and ministerial officers of justice in the state, and the mayor, aldermen, marshals and police of cities and towns, and the director, commissioner, or similar head of any metropolitan or municipal police department, whether elected or appointed, are also conservators of the peace, and are required to aid in the prevention and suppression of public offenses, and for this purpose may act with all the power of the sheriff.

                              38-3-104. Officers may command aid. —

                              All officers authorized to execute judicial process, who find, or have reason to apprehend, that resistance will be made to the execution of judicial process, may command the aid of the inhabitants as prescribed in § 38-3-102 for suppressing riots.

                              38-3-105. Acts by persons aiding officers. —

                              Whenever the officers of justice are authorized to act in the prevention of public offenses, other persons who, by command of the officers of justice, act in aid of the officers of justice, are justified in so doing.

                              38-3-106. Refusal to obey command to aid officers. —

                              Any person commanded to aid, under the provisions of this chapter, any magistrate or officer, who without good cause refuses or neglects to obey such command, commits a Class C misdemeanor.
                              That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4751 users online. 238 members and 4513 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X