Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA votes to repeal prohibition of discriminatory hiring

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...%3F_amp%3Dtrue

Haven’t seen any threads on this so far, but I really don’t think this is going to turn out in the way they imagine it will... curious to see how this would affect LE hiring.
    Last edited by COMoparfan392; 07-18-2020, 11:30 PM.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

As background, a lot of this started back in the 90s when Affirmative Action in California was in full swing. As California state employees, we were told that affirmative action would continue with respect to state employment until each underrepresented ethnic and gender group reached parity with their percentage of the population. Once that occurred, all affirmative action efforts towards that group were supposed to stop and it was incumbent upon that group to then maintain their own status.

Interestingly, one group comprised 62% of the population but only held 58% of state jobs. Nonetheless, it was deemed that they had already achieved parity and were provided no assistance. Another group comprised 31% of the population but held 18% of the jobs - you saw little or no Affirmative Action programs directed towards them. Finally there was a third group that comprised 6% of California's population but held 18% of state jobs, yet the strongest forms of affirmative action were still being directed at that group. When asked, no one could give a logical explanation for these discrepancies.

I suspect this was one of the factors that strongly contributed to the people voting out Affirmative Action in California.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      I suspect this was one of the factors that strongly contributed to the people voting out Affirmative Action in California.
      The bill has nothing to do with Affirmative Action, that’s just the label it’s been given by media to spin it as a good thing. It LITERALLY repeals the prohibition of hiring discrimination:

“The California Constitution, pursuant to provisions enacted by
      the initiative Proposition 209 in 1996, prohibits the state from discriminating against, or granting preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting. The California Constitution defines the state for these purposes to include the state, any city, county, public university system, community college district, school district, special district, or any other political subdivision or governmental instrumentality of, or within, the state.
      This measure would repeal these provisions. The measure would also make a statement of legislative findings in this regard.”

Here is the actual proposition that everyone can read for themselves: https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/bal.../pdf/aca-5.pdf
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

It is no longer needed now that the woke crowd destroys the lives of people that don't agree with them or do what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by COMoparfan392 View Post

The bill has nothing to do with Affirmative Action, that’s just the label it’s been given by media to spin it as a good thing. It LITERALLY repeals the prohibition of hiring discrimination:

“The California Constitution, pursuant to provisions enacted by
          the initiative Proposition 209 in 1996, prohibits the state from discriminating against, or granting preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting. The California Constitution defines the state for these purposes to include the state, any city, county, public university system, community college district, school district, special district, or any other political subdivision or governmental instrumentality of, or within, the state.
          This measure would repeal these provisions. The measure would also make a statement of legislative findings in this regard.”

Here is the actual proposition that everyone can read for themselves: https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/bal.../pdf/aca-5.pdf
          Actually, that was my whole point. In the agency I worked with at the time, unqualified members in the 6% category were being promoted at unprecedented rates solely because of their ethnicity, over well qualified personnel who belonged to other groups. This caused such a morale problem that in one office, fist fights actually broke out and an industial psychologist had to be called in. His findings were, the office had become so damaged that the the only way to save it was to fire everyone and replace them with new staff, or transfer all personnel and in doing so, scattering them to the far reaches of the state to ensure they no longer have to work with each other. Prop 209 brought a halt to such racially discriminatory conduct.

This new proposal will have the effect of legalizing discrimination once again.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It basically says that untrained, inexperienced protected persons will have priority and guaranteed employment and promotion, thereby killing the professionalism of LE and Public Safety in CA.

Stock up on guns, food, and ammo. The Third World Republic of CA is right around the corner.

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              It basically says that untrained, inexperienced protected persons will have priority and guaranteed employment and promotion, thereby killing the professionalism of LE and Public Safety in CA.

Stock up on guns, food, and ammo. The Third World Republic of CA is right around the corner.
              Let them have their utopia and see how long it actually lasts before the tax base leaves and they finally run out of money. What I find comedic gold is Californians who complain about what’s happening to their state but don’t leave or vote differently.

Comment

I remember voting for proposition 209, I don’t understand how the legislature can overturn a law that was voted in by citizen referendum.

Comment

They can do ANYTHING now because there are no brake systems to apply and they’ve gotten away with it under Newsom.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I find that legislation pretty interesting. You can't win for losing no matter what happens. A comparison of the local PD and FD promotional process. Both have strong unions. PD has rule of 5 and the FD has the rule of one regarding promotions. PD Chief can select from the top 5 for promotion, FD selects the next candidate on the list. PD has multiple issues and lawsuits regarding promotions, FD has zero. PD supervisors mirror the 90% with the #1 candidate being passed over multiple times. They did not mirror the 90%. FD has strong representation through the ranks, which is the better process?

Like I said, you cant win for losing.
                    Last edited by retired137; 07-24-2020, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Actually, that was my whole point. In the agency I worked with at the time, unqualified members in the 6% category were being promoted at unprecedented rates solely because of their ethnicity, over well qualified personnel who belonged to other groups. This caused such a morale problem that in one office, fist fights actually broke out and an industial psychologist had to be called in. His findings were, the office had become so damaged that the the only way to save it was to fire everyone and replace them with new staff, or transfer all personnel and in doing so, scattering them to the far reaches of the state to ensure they no longer have to work with each other. Prop 209 brought a halt to such racially discriminatory conduct.

This new proposal will have the effect of legalizing discrimination once again.

And this is what happens when elected officials listen to terrible ideas when crafting or getting rid of legislation. The basic idea for this decision is that "in order to combat racism, we have to engage in legal racism". It would have been easier and more widely understood if they would have just came out and say that instead of going through the whole legal jargon. Sounds backwards, but again its California we're talking about.

Comment

Comedy skit about a Racist and Woke liberal becoming best friends...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev37...ature=youtu.be
                        Last edited by Exbpa340; 07-25-2020, 09:23 PM.
                        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post
                          Comedy skit about a Racist and Woke liberal becoming best friends...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev37...ature=youtu.be
                          Along the same funny lines...when people find out what BLM is really about, QED their “about us” section: https://youtu.be/aIDRSOw-ATE
                          Last edited by COMoparfan392; Today, 12:05 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6188 users online. 380 members and 5808 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X