300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written test, failed

Well I just got my results back from my written exam and I failed by 3 points. This is my second time taking the test. The thing that really bothers me is that I left feeling very good about how I did on the test and I have never got below a B on any of my tests in college(I have a Assoc. degree in CJ and now working on my BA in CJ). I guess I just dont get why I am doing poorly on the test, not to toot my own horn but I have held up at least a 3.5gpa in college and have always been on the Deans List, certainly I am not stupid.
    I just dont get whats going wrong, I know I got the wrong answer on some of the math questions but everything else I "thought" I had correct.
    I mean is this normal to have to re-take tests when trying to get in?
    Thanks, sorry to be so long winded.

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear that you failed the written exam. I cannot relate, as I am in Canada, and I assume our written exams for policing are different.

I don't think failing the exam implies that you are 'stupid.' I know the written exam in Canada for RCMP is a 'Police Aptitude Test,' which measures your essential skills in policing.

Do you have a certain amount of time you have to wait before you can re-write the exam? The waiting time if you fail the written exam in Canada is one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeah View Post
      Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear that you failed the written exam. I cannot relate, as I am in Canada, and I assume our written exams for policing are different.

I don't think failing the exam implies that you are 'stupid.' I know the written exam in Canada for RCMP is a 'Police Aptitude Test,' which measures your essential skills in policing.

Do you have a certain amount of time you have to wait before you can re-write the exam? The waiting time if you fail the written exam in Canada is one year.
      Theres no minimum amount of time that I know of here in NH, just have to wait for the testing agency to offer it again which is normally anywhere from 2-6 mo. based on demand for new officers.
      I guess I'm just going to study like hell for the next one, I never had this much trouble with a test before.
      Thanks for the response.

Comment

Some people are just poor test takers. However, if you claim a 3.5+ GPA, that probably isn't the case. I would blame nerves. Also, civil service exams are quite different from exams in college from my experience. I'd suggest taking a course offered by the PD that is doing the hiring, if they do in fact offer one. I'd also purchase a book such as Barron's or Passbook from the National Learning Corporation to help you better prepare for the exam. I used Barron's for the NYPD exam and I scored a 98 and am list #85.

And yes, it is normal to keep re-taking exams, I myself scored 93 on my first NYPD exam and they still made me take it again (the 98) just to make sure I stay on the list. As many LEOs have told me, take as many exams as you can and as many times as you can.

Also, with the math questions, many agencies allow you to bring a solely numerical calculator (none of those $200 ones that allow you to store "notes").

Good Luck.

Comment

Written Test.

Don't beat yourself up over this. It happens. Let me suggest you do a little prep before testing again. There are several publications available which are designed to assist the entry level applicant such as yourself. I personally recommend the ARCO Publications test booklet. The one you probably want is for "Police Patrolman". It contains study guides, test taking tips, and sample exams you can take and grade yourself. You should be able to find these publications at any good bookstore. I think any time spent in studying these books, is time well spent. Give it a shot.

Comment

^Alright, I'll certainly look into to those exam prep. booklets. It's just frustrating to me to fail it for the second time around. Oh well though, this just makes me all the more determined. I'm just going to study and do as much as I can to prepare myself this next time around.
            Thanks much for your help.

Comment

Take another PD's test. If you fail that, maybe you don't have the "aptitude" to be a police officer. Sorry for being brutally honest, but there are a lot of people who want to be officers who have no business being officers. Try a study guide and another department's test -- even if it's a dept. you aren't serious about -- take the test and see how you do.

Comment

I doubt I dont have the aptitude to be an officer. I have quite a few letters of recomendation from retired and current police officers. Every officer that I have been around says I'm going into it for the right reasons and that I will make a good officer. I think it's just a combo of nerves and doing the math section wrong, Im horrible at math. This test is also for a number of police departments in the area, not just one.
                I appriciate the advice though.

Comment

Written Test Failed

Originally posted by Haro1986 View Post
                  I doubt I dont have the aptitude to be an officer. I have quite a few letters of recomendation from retired and current police officers. Every officer that I have been around says I'm going into it for the right reasons and that I will make a good officer. I think it's just a combo of nerves and doing the math section wrong, Im horrible at math. This test is also for a number of police departments in the area, not just one.
                  I appriciate the advice though.
                  This really isn't meant to be a "definitive" reply to what's been posted, just some random thoughts. Many people who would make great police officers, test poorly. I don't think there is any "one" reason for that. That said, there has to be some type of screening process in which agencies can begin to measure potential applicants. What has pretty well evolved is the written exam. Some agencies will give a T&E type exam. That's an acronym for Training and Experience. That type test is OK, but hardly suitable for an entry level applicant. Certainly, with a small agency, the interview, background process is more than adequate. But when you get to the larger agencies, particularly those with Civil Service/Merit System requirements, the written test is pretty well etched in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    This really isn't meant to be a "definitive" reply to what's been posted, just some random thoughts. Many people who would make great police officers, test poorly. I don't think there is any "one" reason for that. That said, there has to be some type of screening process in which agencies can begin to measure potential applicants. What has pretty well evolved is the written exam. Some agencies will give a T&E type exam. That's an acronym for Training and Experience. That type test is OK, but hardly suitable for an entry level applicant. Certainly, with a small agency, the interview, background process is more than adequate. But when you get to the larger agencies, particularly those with Civil Service/Merit System requirements, the written test is pretty well etched in stone.
                    I totally understand the screening process that agencys run through applicants taking this test. I actaully just talked to one of my old teachers who is a retired police officer. He said he was quite surprized I failed the test twice, but he said there are quite a few "trick" questions on the test and this is where I'm probably getting tripped up. He also stated that he didnt think it was a big deal and just to try again.
                    Any more advice is apprciated if you guys/gals have any for me.
                    Thanks much!.

Comment

The Barron's test prep book is very helpful, or at least it was for me. If your testing is like most of the ones I went through it is a lot of memory of photos, maps, etc. I probably would not have done nearly as well without the tips and tricks in the Barron's guide. It also has some pointers for the oral for when you do get through the written.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Haro1986 View Post
                        Well I just got my results back from my written exam and I failed by 3 points. This is my second time taking the test. The thing that really bothers me is that I left feeling very good about how I did on the test and I have never got below a B on any of my tests in college(I have a Assoc. degree in CJ and now working on my BA in CJ). I guess I just dont get why I am doing poorly on the test, not to toot my own horn but I have held up at least a 3.5gpa in college and have always been on the Deans List, certainly I am not stupid.
                        I just dont get whats going wrong, I know I got the wrong answer on some of the math questions but everything else I "thought" I had correct.
                        I mean is this normal to have to re-take tests when trying to get in?
                        Thanks, sorry to be so long winded.
                        I just can't get my head around this. I don't understand how anyone can be on the dean's list in college with a 3.5 GPA and fail a civil service exam twice. What school do you go to? What year are you in? What kinds of questions are on the written exam? Is it a statewide civil service test like they have here in Massachusetts? I finished college with a lousy 3.1, and I've taken the civil service test here, and I have to say it was probably the easiest test I've ever taken in my life. I think most would agree with me. So it can't possibly be the difficulty of the test, maybe it's nerves? Are you making a mistake transferring your answers? In other words, is it one of those bubble tests? When I took the LSAT one of the things they suggested was to go through a section of questions first and pick your answer, next to the question. Then after you do a block of questions, then transfer your answers to the answer sheet, you're less likely to make a mistake when it comes to transferring your answer. Those study guides people mentioned might help. Again when I took the LSAT I took a ton of sample tests, it makes a huge difference, you feel more prepared and know how quickly you need to move through the test under the time constraints, etc. You should be able to pass this with no problem, I'm sure some of those police guides have sample tests in them. Just practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more.
                        "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Comment

Haro --

I don't know you and have no idea whether you would make a good cop or not; the point I am trying to make is that if you have to drive 50 or 100 miles to take a different test, do so. A passing score will boost your confidence and a failing score should tell you that maybe you need some "professional test taking help" or you should find a small department that doesn't give a written test.

Comment

Originally posted by Sully49 View Post
                            I just can't get my head around this. I don't understand how anyone can be on the dean's list in college with a 3.5 GPA and fail a civil service exam twice. What school do you go to? What year are you in? What kinds of questions are on the written exam? Is it a statewide civil service test like they have here in Massachusetts? I finished college with a lousy 3.1, and I've taken the civil service test here, and I have to say it was probably the easiest test I've ever taken in my life. I think most would agree with me. So it can't possibly be the difficulty of the test, maybe it's nerves? Are you making a mistake transferring your answers? In other words, is it one of those bubble tests? When I took the LSAT one of the things they suggested was to go through a section of questions first and pick your answer, next to the question. Then after you do a block of questions, then transfer your answers to the answer sheet, you're less likely to make a mistake when it comes to transferring your answer. Those study guides people mentioned might help. Again when I took the LSAT I took a ton of sample tests, it makes a huge difference, you feel more prepared and know how quickly you need to move through the test under the time constraints, etc. You should be able to pass this with no problem, I'm sure some of those police guides have sample tests in them. Just practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more.
                            I have my Assoc. in CJ from McIntosh College and I'm wokring on my BA in CJ at Hesser College. I cannot get my head around it ethier, makes no sense. I've taken much, much harder tests/exams before and always done fairly well on them providing I studied. Thats why this is bothering me so much, I'm not dumb and not a poor test taker for the moast part, I just dont get where I'm going wrong with it. It is one of those 'Bubble" tests too, so maybe I am mis-transfering my answers. But I've taken some of the bubble tests at college and never had a prob.
                            The only thing I can think of is Im just screwing up the math section big time.
                            Last edited by Haro1986; 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                              Haro --

I don't know you and have no idea whether you would make a good cop or not; the point I am trying to make is that if you have to drive 50 or 100 miles to take a different test, do so. A passing score will boost your confidence and a failing score should tell you that maybe you need some "professional test taking help" or you should find a small department that doesn't give a written test.
                              I understand sir, I hope I didnt come across as snotty.
                              Thanks for the advice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6008 users online. 360 members and 5648 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X