Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berekley, CA proposes having civilians do traffic enforcement

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by westside popo View Post

    Yes!

    After all every civilian already knows what we "can't" do, they know their "rights" better than us, they know the law better than us and they know who should be arrested before asking all those needless questions or investigations.

    You know, all that stuff we should already know, that they didn't teach us in the thousands of hours we spent in the academy and in service training.

    Since they know better than us, I think they should implement this program immediately and stop wasting all that tax money on training.


    ​​​​​​
    The very real possibility of getting stabbed from behind by a domestic violence "victim", would probably be a real eye-opener for a vegan social worker.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
      My first fight was on a traffic stop with a trucker on the interstate with no backup.

      These people are delusional. God help us all.
      Good sir didn't you know its the epitome of progress to have private citizens enforce traffic stops, where they may get maimed in the process? Just today Bill de Blasio stated the jail population is the lowest its been since its been world war 2, and the city is safer because of it. such progress much wow.

      (Sarcasm)
      Last edited by Levithane; 07-16-2020, 02:39 PM. Reason: added content.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Levithane View Post

        Good sir didn't you know its the epitome of progress to have private citizens enforce traffic stops, where they may get maimed in the process? Just today Bill de Blasio stated the jail population is the lowest its been since its been world war 2, and the city is safer because of it. such progress much wow.

        (Sarcasm)
        This timeline is much wow.

        Anyone advocating for this should turn their attention to the shortly lived CHAZ, where private citizens were handed weapons by a soundcloud rapper and were haphazardly patrolling and 'enforcing' laws.

        We all saw how well that turned out.

        Comment


        • #19
          Give all the calls to unarmed citizens and have the armed cops sit at the station house like firemen. See how long that lasts

          Comment


          • #20
            I wonder what is going to happen the first time these traffic agents run into a situation they can’t ignore. (Kidnap victim tied up in the back seat, 30 kilos in plain view etc)

            I know there are LEOs who make unarmed traffic stops but at least they have the full training and other tools

            Comment


            • #21
              Not can’t ignore.


              What happens when one of these folks ignores the DV, Child Abuse, kidnapped child because “I gotta make my quota”
              semper destravit

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

                I completely agree.



                Private persons arrest exists by statute in California.

                All traffic infractions, at least in Colorado, COULD be written as careless/reckless, Traffic misdemeanors, which would make detention by a private person lawful.
                Not going to work under CA law. Citizens cannot operate emergency LE vehicles unless they are sworn Peace Officers. Citizens arrest does not allow for booking into jail, writing citations, conducting stops, detaining persons.

                Now go home and get your shine box!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  Not going to work under CA law. Citizens cannot operate emergency LE vehicles unless they are sworn Peace Officers. Citizens arrest does not allow for booking into jail, writing citations, conducting stops, detaining persons.
                  I agree there are some things that haven’t been thought through... naturally.

                  ...but I’m perfectly happy to give the meter maid a pass on operating an emergency vehicle, just to watch her make traffic stops.

                  The reality is, they probably won’t make stops. They will handle it like stop light cameras: write down the plate and mail a cite to the RO.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                  "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

                    Not going to work under CA law. Citizens cannot operate emergency LE vehicles unless they are sworn Peace Officers. Citizens arrest does not allow for booking into jail, writing citations, conducting stops, detaining persons.
                    laws can be changed.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

                      I agree there are some things that haven’t been thought through... naturally.

                      ...but I’m perfectly happy to give the meter maid a pass on operating an emergency vehicle, just to watch her make traffic stops.

                      The reality is, they probably won’t make stops. They will handle it like stop light cameras: write down the plate and mail a cite to the RO.
                      Ah...but...not going to work in court.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                        I agree there are some things that haven’t been thought through... naturally.

                        ...but I’m perfectly happy to give the meter maid a pass on operating an emergency vehicle, just to watch her make traffic stops.

                        The reality is, they probably won’t make stops. They will handle it like stop light cameras: write down the plate and mail a cite to the RO.
                        Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        Ah...but...not going to work in court.
                        I was thinking of the equivalent of red light cameras as well. But, instead of just mailing the cite to the RO, it's likely that they'd do what many states do with red light citations: give it to a LEO and then US send the cite since we can sign charges.
                        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          For many years now, California has had several laws stating that while certain civilian government employees are are not peace officers, they may exercise the powers of arrest of a peace officer provided they have successfully complete a specialized training course. It has been mainly used to empower local civilian animal control, parking enforcement and code enforcement personnel.

                          In this case, it's simply a matter of amending those laws to include the new "Traffic Warden" position, or whatever silly, non-confrontational, warm and fuzzy Kumbaya name they decide to give them.

                          As far as who can drive an Authorized Emergency Vehicle, Section 165 of the California Vehicle Code defines such vehicles and from that description, it is clear that civilians are able to operate them.

                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I’m referring to traffic enforcement, not just someone driving an ambulance or fire truck.

                            Please show me where civilians are driving, as civilians, fully equipped LE vehicles, on patrol, and enforcing laws.
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                              I’m referring to traffic enforcement, not just someone driving an ambulance or fire truck.

                              Please show me where civilians are driving, as civilians, fully equipped LE vehicles, on patrol, and enforcing laws.
                              It's a brave new world. You don't think that the politicos will let a little thing like the law stop them from completing their grand social experiment, do you?
                              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                              -Friedrich Nietzsche

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by vc859 View Post
                                I wonder what is going to happen the first time these traffic agents run into a situation they can’t ignore. (Kidnap victim tied up in the back seat, 30 kilos in plain view etc)
                                They would have to be the dumbest bad guys ever if they were to pull over for either the police or these new traffic enforcement guys with a bound kidnap victim or 30 kilos lying in plain sight.

                                "Aw shucks, traffic enforcement guys, you got me."

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4574 users online. 331 members and 4243 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X