Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Officers about the break room at police stations

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've organized some neighbors to donate money or food for law enforcement officers at our local police station. So far we've delivered about 15 meals over the last 3 weeks. We have noticed that the break room is pretty run down. We asked some of the officers what they would like to see improved and most cited the chairs and tables so we are working on that. But we were curious how the break room is treated by officers. Is it just a place to grab a quick bite and go or would it be used more if it was more accomodating ie a playstation or card table etc. I'm afraid we don't have much experience and were looking for pros to give us a better idea of how we can help more if possible.

Appreciate your time and service.

It is a safe place to have a meal or a cup of coffee. I would have someone's *** if I saw them playing cards, or video games on a console. We're not the fire department.

Do the officers know who is making and delivering the food? Random food gets a thank you, and then generally goes in the trash.

Nice chairs, tables, good size fridge, microwaves, toaster oven, ice machine, etc. are all good.

Thanks for trying to help your local PD. I am sure it is very much appreciated.

Comment

EVERY department is different and EVERY breakroom in their stations are different so it is a hit or miss. Our breakroom had a large table with several chairs, a refrigerator, a couple of vending machines, bulletin boards and a counter with a coffee maker and a microwave. We started that station new so we tried to maintain everything. Also, our dispatchers used to work in our station so they and our front desk lady used to use the breakroom regularly to eat in. We officers rarely ate in the room, but we did have parties in it. Most of us ate out in the field or at home if you lived in the district you patrolled.

During the holidays, local churches would bring us ready-made dinners and deserts. They were always welcomed. If it was quiet during holidays, some supervisors would let you run to your house to eat dinner with your family...if it wasn't too far out of the way.

Comment

What's a "breakroom?" We don't have one of those.

Honestly, tables and chairs, microwaves, refrigerators, and/or a coffee pot are what you'd normally see in a PD breakroom. Maybe a TV, just for something to watch while you eat lunch. As Just Joe said, we don't play cards or video games on station like the local FD.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          It is a safe place to have a meal or a cup of coffee. I would have someone's *** if I saw them playing cards, or video games on a console. We're not the fire department.

Do the officers know who is making and delivering the food? Random food gets a thank you, and then generally goes in the trash.

Nice chairs, tables, good size fridge, microwaves, toaster oven, ice machine, etc. are all good.

Absolutely no one knows they are making it for the police. That's a rule we live by. I'm sure they are eating it becase we've seen the leftover cake and food in their refrigerators.. Most come from restaurants like pizza, bbq, etc.

Thanks for the education.
          Last edited by texmaster; 07-06-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. As I said we needed an education more than anything about the "food room?" That better than the break room?

They've got 2 refrigerators and 2 microwaves and an ice machine. Any other appliances that might come in handy? They just got a tv.

Comment

• TedMosby
              TedMosby commented
              Editing a comment
              toaster or toaster oven

• Saluki89
              Saluki89 commented
              Editing a comment
              coffee maker

Yeah I've always been concerned about food dropped off at the PD. I just avoid eating it until I know it's safe. I wait until several other officers or staff eat some with no ill effects.

Comment

I never eat the donated food.

I appreciate the gesture but I'm not eating it.

Comment

When I was a sheriffs deputy, we didn’t have a break room. We had a squad room with computers and desks to do paperwork, and you could eat there while you worked but the Sheriff didn’t want people just hanging around for no reason. If you weren’t working on something that required a computer, he wanted you on the road.

The PD I work for now has a kitchen... it was in the old bank building that got turned into the town hall, and was subsequently sectioned off to be the police department... but still no break room. Two desks, a couple computer monitors and that’s it. We’re losing the kitchen to make a squad room with a holding cell where we can do our paperwork before running people over to the jail. Right now we drive over and park by the sally port to finish up booking paper before we go inside.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Based on past departments I've worked for, my current department is overly blessed with gathering areas. This includes:
                  - A room mostly used for trainings and larger gatherings, It can hold probably 100 people , but is sometimes set up with tables and chairs for 'food events'.
                  - A bona fide break room with high-end, full-size appliances donated to the department by a local company.
                  - A squad room with big-screen TV, about a dozen computer stations, and tables/chairs. It has an attached kitchenette with microwave, sink, and mini-fridge.
                  - An old break room with older appliances and sink that has yet to be repurposed.
                  - A small space in our dispatch center with microwave, sink, and table, mostly used by dispatchers.

As for donated food, I used to be one of those people that wouldn't eat anything donated by people I didn't know. I missed out on a lot of great food. After a few years, I eased up on that. Now, I'll eat pretty much anything that comes in. After some recent rioting our department was involved in, we had a literal smorgasboard of food coming in every day from private citizens, stores, and restaurants to show their support. This did not help my weight loss goal.

Comment

Our break room has a couple couches, a table, chairs, some refrigerators, coffee pot and TV. nothing fancy. It's mostly the old officers that spend most of their time in their. I'll heat my lunch up there sometimes but I'm one of those officers that spend as little time at the substation as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post

There are some of us who have worn both uniforms and badges.

Ive seen many an officer stop by my station for free coffee and some recliner time. In the winter time the motor jocks would work their way from Fire station to fire station just to keep warm. We always had room in the parking lot for police cars and motorcycles when it was game time.

I remember one motor jock in particular who said that there were more firefighters at his retirement party than there were officers. As an officer working for another city, I’ve helped pull hoses, operate fire pumps and responded to every medical call they were dispatched to.

Later on, I combined the FD and the PD and became a fire Marshal my last seven years before retiring. The best of both worlds.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4239 users online. 302 members and 3937 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X