300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego PD's still hurting?

Ive been out of San Diego for a while, but still looking to apply there when I get out of the Corps. Does anyone have an update on how SDPD and the Harbor Police are doing as far as funding and such?

San Diego PD

Originally posted by SR-25 View Post
    Ive been out of San Diego for a while, but still looking to apply there when I get out of the Corps. Does anyone have an update on how SDPD and the Harbor Police are doing as far as funding and such?
    It's been eons since I've set foot in San Diego. Still, seem to keep hearing some really negative things, as in problems, regarding them. I recommend that you check things out for yourself though. No criticism of SDPD, but I'd certainly look into other agencies as well. Don't limit yourself to just one. Semper Fi!!

Comment

They just got a raise...can't remember how much, but I think it was decent. I still think they're having trouble filling their academy spots though. Still too many better paying agencies close by. I'd love to move back, but the cost of living (mainly housing) won't allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        It's been eons since I've set foot in San Diego. Still, seem to keep hearing some really negative things, as in problems, regarding them. I recommend that you check things out for yourself though. No criticism of SDPD, but I'd certainly look into other agencies as well. Don't limit yourself to just one. Semper Fi!!
        I figured as much. It would just be nice to work where I spend 18 years of my life. I know the streets like the back of my hand. But anywhere in So Cal wouldnt be bad to work. I hear Costa Mesa PD starts at $ 67,000

Comment

A week ago and it was me and one other officer for my service area which is fairly large. About 70k people for two cops. We got an 8% - 9% raise in two phases over the next year. We go from being the lowest paid in so cal--- to the lowest paid by just a little less in so cal. It won't change very much. In some cases we are 50% behind other agencies.

Harbor police does pretty well. They are a totally separate entity. They have a lot of DHS grant money $$$ coming in. But it's a different job than city cop.

There's a lot of other threads on SDPD, and essentially not much has changed. I'm not leaving, I'm single though and don't have a family to support. Considering how much we make, it's more like a hobby than a job now.
          Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Ya like nobody said, we got an 8 percent raise, 6 % in july and 2% in december, but if you have your bachelors degree or intermediate POST, then you get 9%.

But considering that we lost 7% last year, it's really only a 2% raise. And we're still very very far behind everybody else. We needed at least a 20% raise just to get on par with other dept's.

And we are very short, calls are holding for hours, sometimes even priority calls.

Only 3 officers to work a 20 square mile service area on graveyards...that's when you know it's bad.

And to again reiterate what nobody said, Harbor PD is a completely different job, they get nowhere near the amount of policing experience like we do. And last I heard they're on a hiring freeze right now.

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention, I am looking into going elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                Ya like nobody said, we got an 8 percent raise, 6 % in july and 2% in december, but if you have your bachelors degree or intermediate POST, then you get 9%.

But considering that we lost 7% last year, it's really only a 2% raise. And we're still very very far behind everybody else. We needed at least a 20% raise just to get on par with other dept's.

And we are very short, calls are holding for hours, sometimes even priority calls.

Only 3 officers to work a 20 square mile service area on graveyards...that's when you know it's bad.

And to again reiterate what nobody said, Harbor PD is a completely different job, they get nowhere near the amount of policing experience like we do. And last I heard they're on a hiring freeze right now.
                When I hear about large departments (or any department really) struggling to fill spots and how they're under manned, does this mean that if you're a half decent person and you apply you most likely get a job? I'm trying to understand if situations like this mean better chances at getting hired or not necessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Conner View Post
                  When I hear about large departments (or any department really) struggling to fill spots and how they're under manned, does this mean that if you're a half decent person and you apply you most likely get a job? I'm trying to understand if situations like this mean better chances at getting hired or not necessarily.
                  It means as long as you meet the min qualifications you can get hired.. there is no competition. It's not like there is 10 qualified people for every job. More like there are 5 spots for every qualified person.

Most people can't even meets the min quals... decent life experience (though that's gone to the wayside here), no drugs, no thefts, no criminal convictions, the ability to hop over a 6', and have the ability to pass an unrealistically easy written test.

We are washing out many people who are at the minimum. The academy that graduated in January started with 32, and 21 made it out of phase training two weeks ago. That's horrible.
                  Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
                    It means as long as you meet the min qualifications you can get hired.. there is no competition. It's not like there is 10 qualified people for every job. More like there are 5 spots for every qualified person.

Most people can't even meets the min quals... decent life experience (though that's gone to the wayside here), no drugs, no thefts, no criminal convictions, the ability to hop over a 6', and have the ability to pass an unrealistically easy written test.

We are washing out many people who are at the minimum. The academy that graduated in January started with 32, and 21 made it out of phase training two weeks ago. That's horrible.
                    Gotcha. Thanks.

Do you (anyone else that wants to comment) feel the LE field is in jeopardy? I hear that the job just isn't appealing to people anymore and standards are being dropped a lot of places in order to fill uniforms. Is this a big problem that's on only getting worse?

Comment

San Diego

Originally posted by Conner View Post
                      Gotcha. Thanks.

Do you (anyone else that wants to comment) feel the LE field is in jeopardy? I hear that the job just isn't appealing to people anymore and standards are being dropped a lot of places in order to fill uniforms. Is this a big problem that's on only getting worse?
                      I don't think it's a nationwide epidemic. Many agencies maintaining very high recruitment standards are having no trouble attracting applicants. My Department (Alabama DPS), and the Montgomery Police Department, routinely turn down the majority of people who apply to them. This is not a "blanket" rejection, but simple attrition built into the hiring process. We lose quite a few applicants in the written, many in the Physical Agility, more in the physc, more still in the background, and quite a few in the Academy. A little more difficult to quantify is the number of people who would make good Officers, but who become frustrated at the considerable length of the process. They drop out of the process and take their talents elsewhere. Is that a problem? Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post

We recently hired a lateral or two from SD and they were glad to get out. Are they still having problems regarding retirement funding?
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                          We recently hired a lateral or two from SD and they were glad to get out. Are they still having problems regarding retirement funding?
                          Yes we are, the city is still talking about screwing with our retirement. Actually getting a solid retirement isn't a guaranteed thing anymore. They have already taken away DROP for new applicants.

If you don't mind me asking, what dept do you work for? You can pm me with it if you want.

Comment

PM sent. If you're interested in making a move, check it out and contact the ex-SDPD personnel.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

The grass isn't always greener...we've had guys return from Riverside SO, (2) from Hemet, (1) from Banning and I just heard another is coming back from a move overseas. This is all in the last (3) months.

San Diego PD definitely has some warts and is FAR from perfect but working for a big department has HUGE advantages. As someone who worked for smaller OC departments in the past, I can tell you that $$ isn't everything.
                              "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6315 users online. 363 members and 5952 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X