• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Who would want to work there..?

Good for the cops.
    Originally posted by Donza View Post
    The reason for my wanting to serve even now is due to (I'm sure current and former officers will agree) a burning desire to serve the community regardless of how bleak things look in society. I think about those Officers of whom are currently serving and much like the military, when everyone else forgets about those to your left and your right, you still have your brothers and sisters serving along side you.

This is coming from someone who had very limited experience in "law enforcement" via the Marine Corps (if that can even be considered LE) who still has a burning desire to become a police officer. I feel like after all these police officers that do end up leaving for greener pastures and rightfully so, I owe it to the ones that remain to give them the help they need.

As Ludicrous as this sounds, that's how I feel about this.
    I rest my case
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• TedMosby
      TedMosby commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO Never Fails. There's always THAT guy!

I don't see how anyone would want to be a member of the Military in it's current state of shambles, but people are still joining left and right. What fears alot of people more than being a law enforcement officer in this day in age is working a 9-5 in a cubicle and feeling like a zombie for 30+ years. I have free college, a real estate license, and a ton of programming experience that could land me a job starting at what alot of LE officers make at their 10-12 year mark. I'm not one to sacrifice a passion for money though. Same with those lifers in the military that could easily separate and instantly join a FED agency and make 100k after 2-3 years but choose not to.

Comment

Same with those lifers in the military that could easily separate and instantly join a FED agency and make 100k after 2-3 years but choose not to.
      LOL if you think lifers (or anyone) can "easily" separate and "instantly" join a Fed agency and make $100k+. Even CBP/BP are not that easy to get into and they are always hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        I rest my case
        You're right and Im with you on that. Guess I was being a little facetious. Just like how people talk crap about Gen Z and the future of our military, there are still young people willing to sign up. Now their motivation for doing so varies, but who cares....they are serving.

Some people will still apply for LE for a variety of reasons, regardless of the current climate. But you guys that have been around forever also know that the "rejected applicant / academy drop / FTO resign" list is filled with the motivated idealist or the "Ive always wanted to be a cop" guys and girls.

Either way, what's going on sucks right now and Im glad some people still are willing to step forward and serve.

Comment

Same with those lifers in the military that could easily separate and instantly join a FED agency and make 100k after 2-3 years but choose not to.
          Oh boy you have no idea what you're talking about. Im not involved in hiring but I can tell you for Federal jobs military service and LE experience aren't end all be all qualifications. In the majority of cases I had to look into someone for one of those positions, they didn't have either. Unbeknown to you, sometimes those "lifers" have skeletons in their closet that would render them ineligible at some of the agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post

Oh boy you have no idea what you're talking about. Im not involved in hiring but I can tell you for Federal jobs military service and LE experience aren't end all be all qualifications. In the majority of cases I had to look into someone for one of those positions, they didn't have either. Unbeknown to you, sometimes those "lifers" have skeletons in their closet that would render them ineligible at some of the agencies.
            That's interesting. Law enforcement really is a competitive hiring process!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. - Virginia USA
              Y'all should be nice to Donza, even if he does not word everything perfectly. He's got your back, like me. Play nicely. Seems to me that he has good intentions and is interested in discussion. You might scare him away. If that is your intention, so be it. Would not be mine.
              No one is being mean to him or trying to scare him away.

Besides, he said he's a Marine. Im sure he's not that sensitive and he'll be just fine.

Its all good folks. Its the internet....

Comment

Originally posted by Levithane View Post

You're right, it's all based on your qualifications and how you word it. I don't commit a majority of my time finding who is and isn't qualified for said government positions, however I'll say that out of my entire graduating class from the Corps, a good 30-50 landed government jobs with either VRA/Fast track options and were hired in under 10 months. That's pretty instant when you think about how slow OPM likes to work.

I also didn't say that was a bad thing, a majority of the civilian LEO's I worked with on base were some of the coolest dudes/ladies you'll ever meet. Alot of them were 60-70%+ disabled and loved what they did (and also got hired over those with non-leo experience).

Forgive me if I came off as trying to classify everyone in that category, that was not my intent.

Comment

• Levithane
                  Levithane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Federal Hiring is more of a Russian roulette game than anything, I'm being serious when I say this. Granted my statement doesn't pertain to Schedule B or Schedule A, because you have to get in touch with an actual person. With USA jobs its more of a luck of the draw than anything, unqualified people get interviews, qualified people get passed over, announcement gets cancelled, you're found best qualified but never get an interview, not to mention a job posting gets inundated with applications and fraudulent ones.

Lifers can't competitively apply for most federal law enforcement jobs. You have to be hired by 37, and for 99.9% military retirement happens after age 38. There is an exception for veterans but I've never heard anyone who was hired under it.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Lifers can't competitively apply for most federal law enforcement jobs. You have to be hired by 37, and for 99.9% military retirement happens after age 38. There is an exception for veterans but I've never heard anyone who was hired under it.
                  I knew one who did. He was I think 41 years old, no prior federal service.

Comment

Originally posted by warrior1978 View Post

I knew one who did. He was I think 41 years old, no prior federal service.
                    I knew one commissioned officer who went to OCS after enlisting, too... one, out of the hundreds I worked with in my career. I happens, but don't bet your career on it.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• 9L81
                      9L81 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had a totally different experience with OCS. Approximately 15-20% were prior enlisted in my class.

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

It's fairly routine for agencies to bring on vets into LE positions who are between ages 37-40. A lot of agencies have either formally or informally extended the maximum age to 40 for preference eligible candidates to where it doesn't require the same waivers as someone over 40 would. Obviously, it's a hurdle one should not want to deal with, especially if over 40, so applying as soon as possible is best if one is closing to aging out. But no reason to lose all hope because it does happen.
                    Last edited by waffledog47; 06-19-2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waffledog47 View Post

It's fairly routine for agencies to bring on vets into LE positions who are between ages 37-40. A lot of agencies have either formally or informally extended the maximum age to 40 for preference eligible candidates to where it doesn't require the same waivers as someone over 40 would. Obviously, it's a hurdle one should not want to deal with, especially if over 40, so applying as soon as possible is best if one is closing to aging out. But no reason to lose all hope because it does happen.
                      I think its "more common" to get the waiver for non-1811 agencies or non-1811 LE positions and "less common" at your major 1811 agencies. I would guess its because those major 1811 agencies are never really hurting for quality candidates and dont have to regularly bring on 40+yr old military vets.

But I would agree its a little more common nowadays. However, its an uphill battle and definitely not easy or a shoe-in to get hired as a retired vet.

Comment

Originally posted by 5149.5 View Post
                        I think its "more common" to get the waiver for non-1811 agencies or non-1811 LE positions and "less common" at your major 1811 agencies. I would guess its because those major 1811 agencies are never really hurting for quality candidates and dont have to regularly bring on 40+yr old military vets.

But I would agree its a little more common nowadays. However, its an uphill battle and definitely not easy or a shoe-in to get hired as a retired vet.
                        The continued hiring of applicants into their 40s and beyond will likely one day reduce Or eliminate the covered retirement for LEOs. This retirement is to maintain a young and vigorous workforce. I’ve seen a couple 48 year old trainees over the past few years. This is all a pretty recent phenomenon and with the constant battle on our pension this gives them additional ammunition.
                        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post

The continued hiring of applicants into their 40s and beyond will likely one day reduce Or eliminate the covered retirement for LEOs. This retirement is to maintain a young and vigorous workforce. I’ve seen a couple 48 year old trainees over the past few years. This is all a pretty recent phenomenon and with the constant battle on our pension this gives them additional ammunition.
                          I hope not but I understand where you are coming from. I had 2 guys in their 40's in my academy class. Both were vets but both were also coming with years of previous 6c/12d covered time. So its not like they'd still be working in their mid-to-late 60's.

I would be interested to see how many of those mid-to-late 40's vet hires with no prior covered time actually stick it out and are still working (and pulling their weight) in their mid 60's. Easier to be in your 40's and show a hiring panel and academy instructors that you got a lot left in-the-tank. I can only imagine trying to sit on a house for hours, jumping in and out of a car in full gear, or just dealing with a day of DT in my mid-to-late 60's.

Comment

• TC3112
                            TC3112 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Advil and stretching...

5149.5 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Im already doing that now in my early 40's. Gonna take a lot more than advil and stretching to keep me going if Im still at it in my mid 60's LOL.

• TC3112
                            TC3112 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I hear ya. I avoid the Advil as much as possible but the stretching sure does help, late 30s here. The hope is to rank up or get a swank spot in dicks when I start to really fall apart.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3321 users online. 221 members and 3100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X