X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILikeCheesecake
    replied
    Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
    Unless you are married with kids, and have a family/social life that will make your drive to and from the desert ghetto, not to mention the 8 hour shifts that turn in to 16 while you are on training, get out to patrol as fast as you can! Your career really wont start till you've been in patrol for a few years. You can always transfer around the county once you are off patrol training for a while.

But, let's not put the cart before the horse here. Get out of the acadmey first!
    hehe, yeah, good point.

Honestly, the drive isn't THAT bad. 40-60 min, I haven't timed it past Acton yet. I mapquested Lancaster Station from Palmdale and its basically 7 more miles and change, so I think I'll keep my list as is. Not to mention you can drive 120mph the whole way there, err, I mean, traffic isn't so bad that way.

I told my wife basically what you said and she's cool with it. I will still end up with more time at home compared to my last job, though probably with a bit less sanity

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    Originally posted by ILikeCheesecake View Post
    LOLOLOL I just put down Palmdale, Compton, and Lancaster for my three on the wishlist

Guess I did it right. I'm starting to wonder if I should drop Lancaster and Palmdale and Just keep Compton....plus two slow stations so I know Compton comes first.

I really don't feel like driving to Lancaster, but whatever it takes to start 'doing the Lord's work'
    Unless you are married with kids, and have a family/social life that will make your drive to and from the desert ghetto, not to mention the 8 hour shifts that turn in to 16 while you are on training, get out to patrol as fast as you can! Your career really wont start till you've been in patrol for a few years. You can always transfer around the county once you are off patrol training for a while.

But, let's not put the cart before the horse here. Get out of the acadmey first!

Leave a comment:

• Five-0fromSoCal
    replied
    LOLOLOL I just put down Palmdale, Compton, and Lancaster for my three on the wishlist

Guess I did it right. I'm starting to wonder if I should drop Lancaster and Palmdale and Just keep Compton....plus two slow stations so I know Compton comes first.

I really don't feel like driving to Lancaster, but whatever it takes to start 'doing the Lord's work'

Nothing wrong with getting to a patrol station first. You can always transfer to another station. When I worked Cpt Sta patrol, we had guys transfer in from Lomita Sta. They just wanted to get to the streets first.

Leave a comment:

• Jellybean400
    replied
    My ex-husband's police academy (at Sea Girt, NJ) was like a military boot camp. I dont know if it still is... i wish i could post his before and after pics after only two weeks...

He was the second biggest guy in the class, and got two injuries serious enough to require a trip to the ER.

The classroom stuff was seriously hard, too.

Leave a comment:

• ILikeCheesecake
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Yep we just picked up new patrol trainees yesterday. My new pup said those going to Lancaster, Palmdale, and Compton had between 5 and 6 months on the job....

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    How could I forget Class 360???

Just remember folks, we had a guy come out to patrol with a whole 3 1/2 months in custody, 1 trainee who had a whole 7 months, and the OG jail deputy with almost 11 months working the stoney lonesome! There is a good chance that in less than 1 year, you will be out in patrol, learning a whole new game...

Yep we just picked up new patrol trainees yesterday. My new pup said those going to Lancaster, Palmdale, and Compton had between 5 and 6 months on the job....

Leave a comment:

• JonS
    replied
    Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
    Ya know, there might just be a reason why west coast law enforcement is the bellweather for the nation and much of the world. There just might be a reason why our pay is so comparatively high, our tactics and equipment so advanced, and our professionalism so highly regarded.

It might have something to do with not just any lump of crap being able to become a police officer.

FWIW,

EDJ
    This was a terrific statement, and I whole-heartedly agree. +1

- Jon

Leave a comment:

• EMVAMPYRE
    replied
    don't forget our senior class, 360 (while I wish 361 was senior, we still have a few weeks )
    How could I forget Class 360???

Just remember folks, we had a guy come out to patrol with a whole 3 1/2 months in custody, 1 trainee who had a whole 7 months, and the OG jail deputy with almost 11 months working the stoney lonesome! There is a good chance that in less than 1 year, you will be out in patrol, learning a whole new game...

Leave a comment:

• ILikeCheesecake
    replied
    That class is done and graduated already, yes. The current classes are 361, 362, 363 and 364. 365 starts in a month or 2 I believe, not really sure.
    don't forget our senior class, 360 (while I wish 361 was senior, we still have a few weeks )

Leave a comment:

• mcguire4
    replied
    I grew up in Pasadena, Ca, have two bro's who work for LBPD (thats Long Beach for those unaware), and I DEFINITELY think it a good idea to have your LE academy as disciplined as possible!! Only TxDPS' comes close out here.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
    I carumba, talk about a flashback. When the camera focuses in on the LASD badge, painted on the wooden stage partition door, I was able to read my class number just below it...made me feel warm and fuzzy all over
    Yea...I know what you mean.

I said earlier....that they don't show half of what we went through....

It's not even half...it's more like a fraction. Once that memory kicks in...you realize their's alot of missing pieces and 15 second clips of stuff that goes on for hours. Not to mention the stuff they will never show.

Leave a comment:

• JSD73
    replied
    Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
    I must agree with my brothers from Southern California. If you look at the statistics, California always leads the nation in both Line of Duty deaths and assaults on officers. Apparently our states are a bit different.
    Coulda sworn Texas had ya beat by a bit more on the officer deaths there bud. And that ain't a ****ing match any of us should be trying to win.

I haven't watched the show but I'd definitely say a Military type academy is great for LE officers, especially those like Troopers and Sheriff Deputies who spend much of their time without close back up. It teaches one to survive by giving them the mental toughness they will need to survive on the streets when they are by themselves and back up is 20-30 minutes away. I had the pleasure of seeing some of the training TxDPS went thru when I stayed at the Barracks for my Academy and I wish the one I went to was much much more military geared.

Leave a comment:

• exComptonCop
    replied
    Originally posted by Semper Occultus View Post
    They don't show half of what we went through...But it sure brings back memories.
    I carumba, talk about a flashback. When the camera focuses in on the LASD badge, painted on the wooden stage partition door, I was able to read my class number just below it...made me feel warm and fuzzy all over

Leave a comment:

• Redders
    replied
    Originally posted by k9dawgcop1985 View Post
    Is there really a need for an academy to be like marine corps bootcamp?
    Yes. There are many and varied reasons why. I believe LASD's academy has to be. It prepares you for what you will see on the street. It's easy to teach how to talk to people in a law enforcement capacity. It's hard to teach people how to stay alive who have never had to.

Leave a comment:

• kcop1
    replied
    Is anyone getting the academy on itunes? Usually it is ready for download on the Friday after the show, but episode 5 is not listed yet.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3969 users online. 255 members and 3714 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X