Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am absolutely hooked on the show. That female instructor - she's good. She has a way saying things that if it was me, I'd feel like total crud. She almost makes a recruit (at least to me it feels this way and maybe it's because I am a woman) not want to disappoint her. You almost get the feeling that she expects more out the women than she does the men.
    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by forensiccop View Post
      Thanks for the reply. I was just curious as and I'm not trying to be rude here, but many of the recuits looked like they were struggling alot during PT. I can't imagine some of them meeting a height/weight ratio again not being rude, but I would think this would be hard on some of them especially with the physical demands that being a LEO puts on a person. I know it took the one recruit 48 min to run 2 miles, when at our academies here in IN you have to run 1 1/2 miles in 16min 28 sec, I also seen a couple of recruits that couldn't even do 1 push-up and you have to be able to do at least 25 and if you don't this you don't get into the academy.
      I know what you're saying. They rather fill up the academy with bodies. The avg start of academies is usually 120 or more. It's the di's jobs to weed out the recruits that can't pass the pt. As the academy progresses, the distance and speed of runs increase. Doesn't take long to fail your pt sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by k9dawgcop1985 View Post
        Has anyone seen this new show called the academy on fox reality?I think its going to be a joke.Is there really a need for an academy to be like marine corps bootcamp?any la deputies on here to comment about it?
        I won't waste my time on this, but, no, there's no reason in the world why a police academy would need to be like Marine Corps basic training.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
          I won't waste my time on this, but, no, there's no reason in the world why a police academy would need to be like Marine Corps basic training.
          Well obviously you did......you posted, did you not?

Again, since it wasn't answered the first time I asked....what should it be like as an alternative? Everything is done the way it's done for a reason, and it's effective. This is training to handle the pressures of some of the most violent areas in the US. It's very appropriate.....
          Last edited by The Challenger; 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM.

Comment

The academy is not like Marine Corps Boot Camp. Been through both, thank you. However, the academy is a stress academy and it absolutely has to be. Several years ago we got away from the stress academy. It didn't work. It is much better to find out a prospective deputy can't handle stress in the academy then on the street....Trust me I was a FTO for some of the ones that went through without stress. It nearly stressed me out with the stuff they would do when the sh*t hit the fan.
            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
              The academy is not like Marine Corps Boot Camp. Been through both, thank you. However, the academy is a stress academy and it absolutely has to be. Several years ago we got away from the stress academy. It didn't work. It is much better to find out a prospective deputy can't handle stress in the academy then on the street....Trust me I was a FTO for some of the ones that went through without stress. It nearly stressed me out with the stuff they would do when the sh*t hit the fan.
              I stated the same thing earlier on either this thread or another one like it. The low/no stress academy process that the LASD tried, following a number of midwest academies, didn't work well at all. I had a number of these low stress graduates as trainees on patrol and the majority of them didn't fair too well. I have heard the same from friends who worked custody as supervisors of these low/no stress deputies. If you watched tonight's episode and saw the two recruits at the end who took risks to help their fellow recruit out, then you have an idea about the value of a high stress academy. It builds esprit d'corps as well as a bound with your fellow recruits. In a low/no stress enviroment, you more than likely wouldn't have seen the whole class doing jumping jacks at the end!
              Carpe Noctem

Comment

they both have adavantages and disadvantages. good cops are good cops, no matter which type they go through.

Comment

Originally posted by The Challenger View Post
                  Well obviously you did......you posted, did you not?

I meant I wouldn't waste time detailing my reasons.

Again, since it wasn't answered the first time I asked....what should it be like as an alternative? Everything is done the way it's done for a reason, and it's effective. This is training to handle the pressures of some of the most violent areas in the US. It's very appropriate.....

It's really not appropriate. We're not Marines. We are mostly independent agents. We have supervisory officers with titles of military rank, but we are mostly independent. A cop can do as little or as much as he likes, and he makes almost every decision that will impact what he does in a day by himself. It doesn't come from supervisors, or at least it doesn't here. There's no need for military discipline as we will never be involved in military movements, etc. (400 cops aren't going to march in a column after all)

Ok, I'm bored with this.

Comment

It's really not appropriate. We're not Marines. We are mostly independent agents. We have supervisory officers with titles of military rank, but we are mostly independent. A cop can do as little or as much as he likes, and he makes almost every decision that will impact what he does in a day by himself. It doesn't come from supervisors, or at least it doesn't here. There's no need for military discipline as we will never be involved in military movements, etc. (400 cops aren't going to march in a column after all)

Ok, I'm bored with this.
                    Wow, you sound very jaded. No, we are not independent agents as you put it. At least not on my department. When we responded to riotous situations, be they in a jail enviroment or out in the streets, we work as a cohesive unit, a paramilitary unit, with large groups moving in unison to complete a task at hand. As such, we need military bearing and discipline, witness the incident in MacArthur Park here last month. If the officer's acted as "independent agents", then there would have been needless bloodshed and more officers injured. I'm very glad there is military bearing and discipline here where I work and live.
                    Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
                      Wow, you sound very jaded. No, we are not independent agents as you put it. At least not on my department. When we responded to riotous situations, be they in a jail enviroment or out in the streets, we work as a cohesive unit, a paramilitary unit, with large groups moving in unison to complete a task at hand. As such, we need military bearing and discipline, witness the incident in MacArthur Park here last month. If the officer's acted as "independent agents", then there would have been needless bloodshed and more officers injured. I'm very glad there is military bearing and discipline here where I work and live.
                      Nope, none of that here. Maybe just no need for that Marine-style cop camp here then. To each his own.

Also, jaded (if I recall) means to be tired and over worked. How does that fit here?

Comment

Ya know, there might just be a reason why west coast law enforcement is the bellweather for the nation and much of the world. There just might be a reason why our pay is so comparatively high, our tactics and equipment so advanced, and our professionalism so highly regarded.

It might have something to do with not just any lump of crap being able to become a police officer.

FWIW,

EDJ
                        "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

I must agree with my brothers from Southern California. If you look at the statistics, California always leads the nation in both Line of Duty deaths and assaults on officers. That's not because of natural causes, it's because most every notorius gang indigenous to the United States was born and bred in Los Angeles County, i.e. Bloods; Crips; MS-13, 18th Street, etc... and most of them don't want to go to jail.

I can't speak for my brothers in the Sheriff's Department but I do know that in Los Angeles City, we already have more than thirty officer involved shootings (OIS). It's a pretty dangerous place around here. If the officer/deputy is not mentally and physically ready for it, then Heaven help them if a rightous gangster decides he's not going to go to jail easily.

Apparently our states are a bit different.

Comment

There's no need for military discipline as we will never be involved in military movements, etc. (400 cops aren't going to march in a column after all)

Ok, I'm bored with this.

Should have been here for the riots after the Rodney King verdicts, or the Watts riots, or the East L.A. riots. Then you would see where the need comes from
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Nope, none of that here. Maybe just no need for that Marine-style cop camp here then. To each his own.

Also, jaded (if I recall) means to be tired and over worked. How does that fit here?
                              Must be nice to have such a laid back, low stress environement to work in. To each his own, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                                Ya know, there might just be a reason why west coast law enforcement is the bellweather for the nation and much of the world. There just might be a reason why our pay is so comparatively high, our tactics and equipment so advanced, and our professionalism so highly regarded.

It might have something to do with not just any lump of crap being able to become a police officer.

FWIW,

EDJ

Then again, perhaps it's all due to a larger population thus tax base. Hmmm?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3993 users online. 256 members and 3737 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X