Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Academy

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Academy

    Has anyone seen this new show called the academy on fox reality?I think its going to be a joke.Is there really a need for an academy to be like marine corps bootcamp?any la deputies on here to comment about it?

  • #2
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67199
    Romans 13:4 "For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil."

    Comment


    • #3
      Academy

      Originally posted by k9dawgcop1985 View Post
      Has anyone seen this new show called the academy on fox reality?I think its going to be a joke.Is there really a need for an academy to be like marine corps bootcamp?any la deputies on here to comment about it?
      Haven't seen the show. I attended the Marine Corps Boot Camp style Academy. That was after the actual Marine Corps Boot Camp, and service in the Corps. So, I suppose, that is the type of Academy I favor. The military style Academy is the norm for virtually all State Police agencies, as well as many cities and counties. Evidently, agencies which employ this type Academy can justify the practice. A good many departments favor the less military , more laid back Academies. They can no doubt cite many good reasons for this practice as well. Should you apply to a police agency, and are accepted, I wouldn't let an agency's use of the military type Academy prevent you from accepting an offer of employment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by k9dawgcop1985 View Post
        Has anyone seen this new show called the academy on fox reality?I think its going to be a joke.Is there really a need for an academy to be like marine corps bootcamp?any la deputies on here to comment about it?
        If you don't think it should be a bootcamp type of environment, what do you think it should be like?

        Law enforcement is para-military, I think it's very appropriate. It lends itself to weeding out those that are not up to handling pressure, discipline, and having to think on their feet, while at the same time strengthening those that are and building commradere.

        Comment


        • #5
          For a number of years the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department went to a "low stress" academy. This proved to be not the best thing in the world of police academies. When I went it was very much like what was seen in the first episode of "The Academy". I personally like the high stress style academy. (No, I don't want to go back through the academy again, thank you!) What Challenger said rings true, this type of training enviroment builds character and sense of belonging in an individual. Academies are there to build character in people and to make them a part of a team.

          The old saying of "The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the street." and I happen to believe in this axiom. What's more, the new deputies are going to be thrown into the country's second largest prison system in 16 short weeks. A little stress and yelling is not going to be the worst thing they face. If you can't handle this kind of enviroment for 16 weeks, think of a new career. Like fireman, where they teach you to wash trucks, get cats outta trees, tough stuff like that. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding..Kinda) Thousands of deputies have gone through this training style, and I am happy to see it come back to my department.
          Carpe Noctem

          Comment


          • #6
            watched the first episode last night, wasnt too bad. i'll give it a few episodes and see how it goes.

            Comment


            • #7
              I missed the first episode but I do want to see it. I'm sure they will add a little to it for TV reasons but From what I've heard they won't have to add much. Good luck to all the cadets.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

              "You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

              Comment


              • #8
                They're actually not adding, but rather leaving things out. It's more stressful than what was on t.v. The dept gets to have the final say on what is shown. I also agree what other guys have said. It's good to see the high stress academy back.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I liked the show, man I could not deal drilling in a suit!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by scuba4321 View Post
                    I liked the show, man I could not deal drilling in a suit!!!
                    Drilling in a suit did suck! Push ups in a suit, and especially nice dress shoes, was freaking worse! And like Five-0 said, they are leaving a hecke of a lot out as opposed to adding things. I got to watch them film the first 2 days of this academy early last year when I was down at the STAR Center for some training, and I can definitely say that the stress level is back to where it was 18 years ago!
                    Carpe Noctem

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
                      ...What's more, the new deputies are going to be thrown into the country's second largest prison system in 16 short weeks. A little stress and yelling is not going to be the worst thing they face. If you can't handle this kind of enviroment for 16 weeks, think of a new career.
                      Hey Bro, last I remember ours was the largest jail system in the free world, who are we second to in the US? We have a daily average inmate population of about 21,000!

                      EDJ
                      "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                        Hey Bro, last I remember ours was the largest jail system in the free world, who are we second to in the US? We have a daily average inmate population of about 21,000!

                        EDJ
                        CDCR?
                        LAPD

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i was somewhat suprised though to learn their academy is only 18 weeks long, i would have figured a little longer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                            Haven't seen the show. I attended the Marine Corps Boot Camp style Academy. That was after the actual Marine Corps Boot Camp, and service in the Corps. So, I suppose, that is the type of Academy I favor. The military style Academy is the norm for virtually all State Police agencies, as well as many cities and counties. Evidently, agencies which employ this type Academy can justify the practice. A good many departments favor the less military , more laid back Academies. They can no doubt cite many good reasons for this practice as well. Should you apply to a police agency, and are accepted, I wouldn't let an agency's use of the military type Academy prevent you from accepting an offer of employment.
                            Good answer! As always spoken like a true Marine It never ceases to amaze me what the Marine Corp does for so many good men! Others just pretend to be.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
                              For a number of years the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department went to a "low stress" academy. This proved to be not the best thing in the world of police academies. When I went it was very much like what was seen in the first episode of "The Academy". I personally like the high stress style academy. (No, I don't want to go back through the academy again, thank you!) What Challenger said rings true, this type of training enviroment builds character and sense of belonging in an individual. Academies are there to build character in people and to make them a part of a team.

                              The old saying of "The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the street." and I happen to believe in this axiom. What's more, the new deputies are going to be thrown into the country's second largest prison system in 16 short weeks. A little stress and yelling is not going to be the worst thing they face. If you can't handle this kind of enviroment for 16 weeks, think of a new career. Like fireman, where they teach you to wash trucks, get cats outta trees, tough stuff like that. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding..Kinda) Thousands of deputies have gone through this training style, and I am happy to see it come back to my department.
                              SEMPER FI***

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4497 users online. 298 members and 4199 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X