300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry on Campus?

I am a full time student at a state university here in Oregon. My school does not allow carrying concealed weapons on campus even with a permit. I have been an explorer for 3 years and am beginning to apply for reserve positions. If or when I am hired as a reserve, would I be legally allowed to carry on campus?

If so, would those of you who are full time officers encourage me to carry or do you think its is unnecessary?

Does anyone on this forum carry on their campus?

Thanks ahead of time for the imput.
    Ty
    [email protected]

Originally posted by TjOregon2005 View Post
    I am a full time student at a state university here in Oregon. My school does not allow carrying concealed weapons on campus even with a permit. I have been an explorer for 3 years and am beginning to apply for reserve positions. If or when I am hired as a reserve, would I be legally allowed to carry on campus?
    Unless things have changed since I worked in Oregon, reserve officers are a kind of red-headed stepchild in terms of training standards and law enforcement status. There may be exceptions, but I don't know of any agency that gives their reserves 24-hour off duty police powers. Without that, your CCW privileges are limited to what is allowed by your CCW permit.

Even if you did get 24-hour police powers as a reserve, the university could bar you from campus when you were armed and not on official police business. They might not be able to tell you that you couldn't carry your gun, but they could tell you that no one will attend classes or participate in college activities while armed. It's the same model that in force at the various Disney properties - Disney won't tell a cop he can't carry his gun, but if he doesn't permit it to be secured in their security office, he is asked to leave the property.

Given that Oregon doesn't arm their campus "public safety officers" and has a special training and certification course for them, similar but different from that completed by other law enforcement officers, I don't think the university is going to be too warm to the idea that a student is packing, no matter what kind of badge or ID you might have in your pocket.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Carry on Campus

Originally posted by TjOregon2005 View Post

If so, would those of you who are full time officers encourage me to carry or do you think its is unnecessary?

Does anyone on this forum carry on their campus?

Thanks ahead of time for the imput.
      Without getting into the armed, or not armed debate, I would suggest you abide by the campus policy, and not be armed on campus. Quite a few CCW permits are fairly restrictive, and do not grant blanket immunity from rules of private industry, educational facilities, and others, who either restrict or prohibit carry. Certainly, Officers on duty have a far wider ability to carry than does a private citizen. As Tim pointed out, Reserve Officers are often in kind of a "nether world" with regard to off-duty arrest powers, and the right to carry. I'm a Retired Officer, I qualify annually, and frequently carry, under provisions of HR 218. I'm still restricted from carry in certain venues and circumstances. I have no problem with that. I simply comply.

Comment

If you are a P/O, and there are no metal detectors to go through to enter the campus/buildings, and you have your gun concealed, who is to know that you have one or that you are a P/O, unless you want to telegraph the fact you are a P/O and armed.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
          If you are a P/O, and there are no metal detectors to go through to enter the campus/buildings, and you have your gun concealed, who is to know that you have one or that you are a P/O, unless you want to telegraph the fact you are a P/O and armed.
          ditto
          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

follow the campus policy - they'll have an ordinance that you can be cited / arrested for.

If cited / arrested - how are you going to explain this on your background to where ever you're applying? follow da rules.

I don't know about Oregon but in CA, there are colleges that have peace officers that are not armed, while on duty (but can carry off duty).... I don't get it but anywhoo..
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

Well Ill explain the circumstances here in Cali.....yes!
              You would be able to carry a concealed weapon as long as you are a Reserve or Sworn Officer, doesnt matter. In cali if you have a permit you are only allowed to carry a CW if you are stopping on campus for a quick moment, like to drop something off, pick something up, drop someone off, pick someone up, etc etc.
              There are two types of people. Officers and Suspects.
              If you drink and drive, plan on spending time in the grey bar hotel!
              Dont Hesitate To Designate
              Seat Belts Save Lives
              Click It Or Ticket

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3032 users online. 144 members and 2888 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X