• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police recruits fired for street race

Police recruits fired for street race

Brent Whiting
    The Arizona Republic
    May. 25, 2007 03:08 PM
    Glendale has fired two police recruits who were caught street racing along Grand Avenue at a speed of 86 mph.

The pair, Thomas Franklin Durham Jr., 25, and Sean Robert Tobin, 26, both of Glendale, were charged with criminal speeding and are awaiting trial in Glendale City Court.

They went to work for the city Dec. 11 but were terminated Tuesday by Police Chief Steve Conrad.

A third recruit, Wade Kamman, a passenger in one of the vehicles, was slapped by Conrad with a three-day suspension without pay, according to documents released Friday.

Durham and Tobin were off-duty and behind the wheel of private vehicles when they were pulled over May 9.

Conrad said that based on the findings of an investigation, the pair stopped at an intersection in the 4600 block of Grand Avenue and "began playing around, shaking fists and flipping each other off."

Then they raced with each other along Grand Avenue, weaving in and out of traffic, he said.

Conrad said that during the reckless ride, Kamman was "laughing with the driver of the vehicle in which you were riding as a passenger."
    Man, these two qualify for the "bone headed move of the week" award - hands down.

I can't help but just shake my head and wonder why anybody would want to work so hard and then just toss it all away with one foolish decision. I know if I had worked hard to get there I wouldn't be willing to lose it all in this manner. I wish I could say I feel sorry for them, but I don't.
    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Yup, thats a good department, too.

Comment

Two....well, three boys that need to grow up, and grow up FAST. Good thing they're cops-no-more.
      Never argue with idiots - they just drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder....my work here is done!

As her tears fell at his feet, she didn't say "I Love You," what she said meant even more: I laugh, I love, I hope, I tried. I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry and I know you do the same things too. So we're really not that different, me and you.

Comment

Oh well..sucks to be them..now they have the rest of their lives to realize that STUPID HURTS..... Scumbags..I HATE Street Racers.

Comment

Dumb move. I've heard of people that got bounced out of the academy for speeding, these guys should have known better.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Matto View Post
            Yup, thats a good department, too.
            So true, I've been out on stops with them more than a few times, they are squared away.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

it's not even a question in this state as to whether or not your going to jail for racing...I don't care if you're doing 55 in a 45, if you're racing, you're going to jail.... In the words of Carlos Mencia... Dee Dee Dee..
              "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

well, better that they where just speeding and racing and didnt have a wreck and kill others. the media would have slaughter the entire department.

That passager was very very lucky that all he got was a 3 day suspension.

now, before it happends later.....
                what happend to the professional courtasey? you know, cops dont write cops....

oh that, that really doesnt happen. not in a life threatening situation.
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                  well, better that they where just speeding and racing and didnt have a wreck and kill others. the media would have slaughter the entire department.

A police recruit is not a police officer...YET!

As a recruit, I felt way more subject to scrutiny even more so than as an officer and thatwas only a few short months ago!
                  "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

Police Recruits

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post

Right. This situation goes quite a bit beyond "Professional Courtesy".

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg View Post
                      So true, I've been out on stops with them more than a few times, they are squared away.

Cool of you. Very rarely will the troopers here back city officers.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                        Right. This situation goes quite a bit beyond "Professional Courtesy".
                        Exactly. PC shouldn't apply to stupidity.

Comment

It's a good thing they got rid of them when they did. Who knows what kind of liability they would be on the road by themselves.
                          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Unbelievable stupidity. On a side note, who won?

Oh yeah, the department won

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
                              Man, these two qualify for the "bone headed move of the week" award - hands down.

I can't help but just shake my head and wonder why anybody would want to work so hard and then just toss it all away with one foolish decision. I know if I had worked hard to get there I wouldn't be willing to lose it all in this manner. I wish I could say I feel sorry for them, but I don't.

I know an officer who had raced on duty in the dept unmarked car. Real stupid move, im sure he will get caught.

ya know whats sad about it? He is on the Traffic Safety Unit
                              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2950 users online. 160 members and 2790 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X