Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahmaud Arbery case

Thoughts on this?

There's 3 videos in reference to this case and it's crystal clear to me.

Burglary/trespass
    flee the scene of crime
    Attack armed man trying to detain you
    Gets shot over struggle for gun

Haven't really read up on this and the videos I've seen just show two dudes fighting over what looks like a rifle and then it gets paused. Haven't seen the actual shooting happen on the video.

Also, is it confirmed that he burglarized a location just prior?

I've also seen a couple of news clips about how Trump caused this and dog whistled these "white supremacists." Any way the media can spin it and force the blame on Trump, conservatives or the police. Just par for the course.

I don't know enough at this point to render an opinion.

Comment

It's entirely not crystal clear to me.

Where is the evidence of his involvement in burglary/trespass? Supposedly there was a porch video of a recent attempted burglary. Where is it?

Fleeing the scene of what crime on that particular day? According to the police report, the father/son were motivated to act because of previous burglaries in the neighborhood, two months prior to the shooting:

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...a763095b3.html

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/sat...rberys-killing

Attack armed man trying to detain you... or defending yourself from unprovoked armed assault?

What authority did they have to detain, in the first place? Stand Your Ground laws? Doesn't that only apply to immediate threat to person and castle?

I'm not blindly buying into either side of the story yet. Questions need answering.

Disclaimer: I've spent a year of my life in Glynn County and am familiar with the Satilla Shores neighborhood. It's off I-95 and the Jeckyl Island causeway and isolated from Brunswick and other neighborhoods. It's not exactly a logical place for someone in Brunswick to go jogging.... but just because something doesn't seem logical doesn't automatically infer malicious intent.

Hopefully the facts won't get buried in the hype, like they so often do in these situations....

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

-HL Mencken

Comment

• hold the air
        hold the air commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...c-3a3d517b19ed

13:21 video mark he enters. Creeps around garage looking for valuables. In house for several minutes. Runs from house at 2:13:45 clock stamp. Runs past white truck in top left corner at 2:14:10 timestamp which i believe is the Mcmichaels truck. Truck pulls out about a minute later to go after criminal
        Last edited by hold the air; 05-10-2020, 01:40 PM.

Where can the 3 videos that you refer to be seen? Based on only the local newspaper reports, national news reporting and the only video I’ve seen, none of the things crystal clear to you, are to me. More information is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by hold the air View Post
        Thoughts on this?

There's 3 videos in reference to this case and it's crystal clear to me.

Burglary/trespass
        flee the scene of crime
        Attack armed man trying to detain you
        Gets shot over struggle for gun
        This is kind of what I’m thinking too, but I’ll wait to pass judgement until all the facts come out.

Comment

Oops check post #3.1 for video

Comment

Originally posted by SOCAleo View Post
            Haven't really read up on this and the videos I've seen just show two dudes fighting over what looks like a rifle and then it gets paused. Haven't seen the actual shooting happen on the video.

Also, is it confirmed that he burglarized a location just prior?

I've also seen a couple of news clips about how Trump caused this and dog whistled these "white supremacists." Any way the media can spin it and force the blame on Trump, conservatives or the police. Just par for the course.

I don't know enough at this point to render an opinion.
            Trump is in idiot for opening his mouth too soon in this one

Comment

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...c-3a3d517b19ed
              13:21 video mark he enters. Creeps around garage looking for valuables. In house for several minutes. Runs from house at 2:13:45 clock stamp. Runs past white truck in top left corner at 2:14:10 timestamp which i believe is the Mcmichaels truck. Truck pulls out about a minute later to go after criminal

That video (evidently released last night by a Jacksonville station) needs to get national attention. Because the current narrative is 'man out for a jog gets gunned down.'

And... it's one piece of a larger context. According to the TV report, the house he walked into was "under construction" (I presume this means unoccupied but that too is a factor). Does this merit neighbors grabbing a shotgun and .357? What is the immediate threat, other than loss of tools to the builder?

Again, the facts and circumstances demand full examination.
              Last edited by Ratatatat; 05-10-2020, 01:59 PM.

-HL Mencken

Comment

not sure how this could be self defense if someone jump out of a truck holding a long gun I may grab it too and try to get it from the bad guy.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner5877 View Post
                  not sure how this could be self defense if someone jump out of a truck holding a long gun I may grab it too and try to get it from the bad guy.
                  Im fairly certain citizens arrest is allowed in GA. Guy Just commuted trespass/burglary

Comment

Let's try new, how about we wait until the facts come out in this case before we pass judgement. Regardless of whatever side you fall on, there is not enough evidence available to make a truly informed opinion of the subject.

Comment

Here we goooooooooooooo.................

Comment

Washington Post story says owner of home under construction lived 90 miles away and reported nothing was taken while subject was present:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rberys-murder/

So... unless I am misreading the situation, this was a criminal trespass into an unoccupied dwelling.

Unless there's more to the story (that specifically warrants grabbing shotgun and pistol and attempting to make a citizen's arrest for a misdemeanor on another person's property), I don't see the legal justification for the actions taking.

*personal anecdote: an officer I know owns 80 acres, which he also lives on. He occasionally had hunters from adjacent properties cross onto to his land to hunt deer, despite his posting of the boundary. On one occasion, he sensed activity on the back portion, several hundred yards from his home. Assuming the trespassers were armed, he grabbed his 9mm and headed out to confront. Sure enough, he encountered two guys on his land carrying rifles. As he approached, he had his pistol extended. After he got their names, he released them. A couple hours later, a sheriff deputy shows up at his house and cites him for brandishing a firearm. This of course leads to an internal investigation, hiring an attorney, and eventually taking a plea for disorderly conduct. Didn't lose his job but came close. Point I'm trying to make the smartest course of action when no lives are at stake doesn't involve grabbing a gun and confronting....

-HL Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                          Washington Post story says owner of home under construction lived 90 miles away and reported nothing was taken while subject was present:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rberys-murder/

So... unless I am misreading the situation, this was a criminal trespass into an unoccupied dwelling.

Unless there's more to the story (that specifically warrants grabbing shotgun and pistol and attempting to make a citizen's arrest for a misdemeanor on another person's property), I don't see the legal justification for the actions taking.

*personal anecdote: an officer I know owns 80 acres, which he also lives on. He occasionally had hunters from adjacent properties cross onto to his land to hunt deer, despite his posting of the boundary. On one occasion, he sensed activity on the back portion, several hundred yards from his home. Assuming the trespassers were armed, he grabbed his 9mm and headed out to confront. Sure enough, he encountered two guys on his land carrying rifles. As he approached, he had his pistol extended. After he got their names, he released them. A couple hours later, a sheriff deputy shows up at his house and cites him for brandishing a firearm. This of course leads to an internal investigation, hiring an attorney, and eventually taking a plea for disorderly conduct. Didn't lose his job but came close. Point I'm trying to make the smartest course of action when no lives are at stake doesn't involve grabbing a gun and confronting....
                          What state and county was this? Pffft

two armed trespassers on his land and he gets charged.

What a ******* joke

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                            scotty_appleton814 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Now that is ridiculous. Armed on his land getting charged is not cool.

I don't know. It seems like you have to go over what you read in the media with a divining rod to find the truth. I have seen one video of the incident that kept pulling away from the action and then going back to it. From what little it showed (and from my vantage point) it appeared to depict an individual intentionally running toward a pickup truck that was parked in the middle of the road. One person was in the truck's bed and a second, with a rifle, was out on foot by the driver door. The runner appeared to run past the right side of the truck, cross in front of it and physically attack the man with the rifle, after which he fell to the ground.

Now, how I am supposed to conclude from the video that the two occupants of the truck intentionally murdered the runner because of his ethnicity is beyond me.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4299 users online. 191 members and 4108 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X