300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Adopts $1000 Speeding Tickets

The Indiana Department of Transportation to collect work zone speeding ticket revenue beginning July 1. Maximum citation increased to $1000.

Governor Mitch DanielsThe Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will soon be the direct beneficiary of speeding ticket revenue under a bill recently signed by Governor Mitch Daniels (R). The measure gives INDOT the power to decrease speed limits "without conducting an engineering study and investigation" in highway work zones. INDOT can direct police to enforce this lowered limit, regardless of whether workers are actually present. The law also mandates that no work zone speed limit exceed 45 MPH.

As of July 1, INDOT will collect the revenue from these fines which the law also boosts significantly. The first offense runs $300, the second $500 and the third $1000. Anyone contesting the fine in court faces an additional $70 fee if found guilty.

The bill also creates a new work zone category for "aggressive driving" that makes it a misdemeanor to drive 46 MPH in a freeway work zone while flashing headlights and honking the horn at a slow-moving car in the left lane, or any other combination of three maneuvers deemed aggressive. The first offense carries a $5000 fine and up to one year in jail, while a second offense is a felony punishable by up to three years in jail and a $10,000 fine.

"I would like to thank the governor for his quick action in signing these important bills into law," said the state Senate sponsor of the legislation, Mike Delph (R-Carmel).

To read bill

INDIANA DRIVERS BEWARE!
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

WTF!!??????

Wow, that seems excessive when no workers are present. Wow. No more speeding in construction zones with posted signs.
      Last edited by LeanG; 05-25-2007, 07:50 AM.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Whatever it takes. Hopefully other states will follow suit.
        "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

God, would I love to see that in Orlando. Speeding and red light runners hit with large fines. I say give to money to Level 1 Trauma Centers.

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep View Post
            INDIANA DRIVERS BEWARE!
            I am always aware NOW if ever have to drive through Indiana. I have to tell the story that goes with it though, it's not long.

Two years ago I went to Linton to go visit a friend. I was driving down there from Chicago in a rented GMC Durango. That thing was HUGE, but drove just as smooth as a dream. I was used to driving an old car that if aided by a tail wind went 60 mph and if you drove over 50 it shimmied and shaked. This being said it was no shock when I would look down and find myself doing 70 or 75. It sure didn't "feel" like I was moving THAT quick. I'd take the foot of the gas and drop my speed as the speed limit was 55 in Vermillion, IN. Needless to say one time I didn't catch my speed in time as I was happily heading back to Chi-town after a nice visit with my friend. I got lit up and was informed by the nice Trooper that he clocked me at 88 in a 55! I plumped up the coffers nicely for Vermillion County and now anytime I hit the highway I am ALWAYS checking my speed.
            R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
            I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

If you've ever driving in Indiana you'll know why they have increased the fines and made the DOT the recipient of the revenue...They've got some of the ****tiest roads in the US.

Comment

I would never write one of these tickets. That's out of control.
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

The fine is not an automatic $1,000. Local courts will have plenty of discretion in deciding the fine.

Comment

Geezz !! If anyone knows Indiana you know that the whole state is one big construction zone!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                    You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
                    "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
                    Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Originally posted by katzeyze View Post
                      I was driving down there from Chicago in a rented GMC Durango.

A GMC Durango? If it was a Durango, it was a DODGE. If you had something big made by GMC, it was probably a Yukon or something like that. But still, I rented one last summer for a trip and it would get up to 80 mph without much effort.

If you are accustomed to a little four-banger, a large vehicle with a smooth ride and a V8 engine can easily deceive you.

My advice is to use your cruise control........which will save you both gas and the cost of a speeding ticket.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by WARWAGON View Post
                        Anyone contesting the fine in court faces an additional $70 fee if found guilty.

Now doesn't that just make you think that they want people to just "mail it in" and not bother with that pesky little court/trial stuff?

Yeesh!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

remind me not to head to indiana any time soon.... I remember a couple years ago I got a ticket in a work zone that had dropped the speed from 65 to 45. They had a couple deputies just waiting for people. The zone wasn't well marked, there wasn't any actual construction besides some orange cones on the shoulder!

Comment

For those of you that don't want to head to Indiana anytime soon, that's fine. However, when you're driving around I-465 in Indianapolis and the speed limit is 55 and to even TRY to keep up with traffic, you're doing 70-75, I'm all about enforcing speed limits!

One of the worst construction zones in Indiana is where I'm from, I-65 in Clark County, just across the bridge from Louisville, KY. Sure, it goes from 70 mph to 45 - BUT IS VERY CLEARLY WARNED. Still, you have all of these out of state drivers that thing it's a suggestion. I can't wait 'til some of my Troop buddies start slaying people with these tickets. Good times.
                            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

A GMC Durango? If it was a Durango, it was a DODGE. If you had something big made by GMC, it was probably a Yukon or something like that. But still, I rented one last summer for a trip and it would get up to 80 mph without much effort.

If you are accustomed to a little four-banger, a large vehicle with a smooth ride and a V8 engine can easily deceive you.

My advice is to use your cruise control........which will save you both gas and the cost of a speeding ticket.
                              Now that you bring it up, your'e right it was a Yukon. I did put on Cruise Control after that and I was glad I did. With the cruise set at 55 I felt like it was a dead crawl. My car that I have is truly a little hoopdie mo-bile and doesn't even have cruise. I can't complain too loudly though, it gets me from point A to point B and it has ice cold A/C. Living in Arizona, air conditioning is an important feature.
                              R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                              I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5397 users online. 297 members and 5100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X