Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged Fort Dix Plotter Tried To Become Officer

http://www.wnbc.com/news/13376872/detail.html

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- One of the men accused this month of plotting to attack soldiers on Fort Dix recently applied to be a police officer in two big cities -- a move some authorities think may have been an effort to infiltrate law enforcement agencies.

Philadelphia Police Sgt. D.F. Pace said Wednesday that Serdar Tatar applied for a job there last month. "Based on what we know now, I don't think his intentions were good," Pace said.

A law enforcement official speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information said Tatar also applied for a job in the Oakland, Calif., police department. Roland Holmgren, a spokesman for the Oakland police department, said he could not immediately confirm whether Tatar had applied there

While a lawyer for Tatar would not comment on the job applications Wednesday and neither would U.S. Attorney Chris Christie, conversations recorded in March by an FBI informant during the investigation may offer some clues as why Tatar wanted to join law enforcement.

A second suspect in the case told the informant that Tatar wanted to join the U.S. Army so he could kill soldiers from the "inside," according to a court filing.

"He had only one mind," a third suspect, Dritan Duka, told the informant, according to the court documents. "How to kill American soldiers."

Army spokesman Lenny Gatto said Wednesday he did not know whether Tatar had actually applied to join the Army, which does not require U.S. citizenship.

The Philadelphia force rejected Tatar before he got far in the application process because, although he is a legal resident, he was not a U.S. citizen, and had not lived in Philadelphia long enough to be eligible, Pace said.

Tatar had lived in the city for about eight months at the time he applied. Under the city's policies, prospective police officers must live there at least one year.

He applied at a police department job fair on April 10, and Pace said he was one of hundreds of people who attended. It is not known when or where Tatar applied to join the Oakland police force or why he would attempt to join an organization thousands of miles away.

Tatar, an out-of-work clerk whose last job was at a Philadelphia convenience store, and five other men were arrested on May 7 and charged with planning an attack on the New Jersey Army installation.

Tatar, a 23-year-old citizen of Turkey, was a key player in the attack plan, authorities said, because he knew his way around the base from his time delivering pizzas there for the shop his father owns nearby.

According to court filings, Tatar told an FBI informant last November that he would take a map of the base from his father's restaurant.

But then, Tatar called Philadelphia police and reported that he was being pressured to obtain a map of Fort Dix -- and that he feared the incident was terrorism-related, according to court filings. Authorities have said that they believe he made the phone call in an effort to figure out whether the informant was a law enforcement agent. Philadelphia police told the FBI about the call.

According to the court filings, he also got over those feelings quickly, despite worries about the informant's reliability. "I'm gonna do it. Whether you are or not (FBI), I'm gonna do it," he told the informant, according to the document. "Know why? It doesn't matter to me, whether I get locked up, arrested, or get taken away, it doesn't matter. Or I die, doesn't matter, I'm doing it in the name of Allah."

Later that evening, Tatar delivered the map, authorities said.

Authorities have said that the men went to the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania in February to train for an attack. But Richard Sparaco, Tatar's lawyer, said Wednesday that his client did not make that trip.

Tatar is charged, along with Mohamad Ibrahim Shnewer and the brothers Dritan, Eljvir and Shain Duka of conspiring to kill military personnel. All of them could be sentenced to life in prison if they are convicted.

A sixth man, Agron Abdullahu, is charged with providing weapons to illegal aliens, a crime punishable by up 10 to years in federal prison.

All six men are being held without bail.

Originally posted by xraodcop View Post
    http://www.wnbc.com/news/13376872/detail.html

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- One of the men accused this month of plotting to attack soldiers on Fort Dix recently applied to be a police officer in two big cities -- a move some authorities think may have been an effort to infiltrate law enforcement agencies.

Philadelphia Police Sgt. D.F. Pace said Wednesday that Serdar Tatar applied for a job there last month. "Based on what we know now, I don't think his intentions were good," Pace said.

A law enforcement official speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information said Tatar also applied for a job in the Oakland, Calif., police department. Roland Holmgren, a spokesman for the Oakland police department, said he could not immediately confirm whether Tatar had applied there

While a lawyer for Tatar would not comment on the job applications Wednesday and neither would U.S. Attorney Chris Christie, conversations recorded in March by an FBI informant during the investigation may offer some clues as why Tatar wanted to join law enforcement.

A second suspect in the case told the informant that Tatar wanted to join the U.S. Army so he could kill soldiers from the "inside," according to a court filing.

"He had only one mind," a third suspect, Dritan Duka, told the informant, according to the court documents. "How to kill American soldiers."

Army spokesman Lenny Gatto said Wednesday he did not know whether Tatar had actually applied to join the Army, which does not require U.S. citizenship.

The Philadelphia force rejected Tatar before he got far in the application process because, although he is a legal resident, he was not a U.S. citizen, and had not lived in Philadelphia long enough to be eligible, Pace said.

Tatar had lived in the city for about eight months at the time he applied. Under the city's policies, prospective police officers must live there at least one year.

He applied at a police department job fair on April 10, and Pace said he was one of hundreds of people who attended. It is not known when or where Tatar applied to join the Oakland police force or why he would attempt to join an organization thousands of miles away.

Tatar, an out-of-work clerk whose last job was at a Philadelphia convenience store, and five other men were arrested on May 7 and charged with planning an attack on the New Jersey Army installation.

Tatar, a 23-year-old citizen of Turkey, was a key player in the attack plan, authorities said, because he knew his way around the base from his time delivering pizzas there for the shop his father owns nearby.

According to court filings, Tatar told an FBI informant last November that he would take a map of the base from his father's restaurant.

But then, Tatar called Philadelphia police and reported that he was being pressured to obtain a map of Fort Dix -- and that he feared the incident was terrorism-related, according to court filings. Authorities have said that they believe he made the phone call in an effort to figure out whether the informant was a law enforcement agent. Philadelphia police told the FBI about the call.

According to the court filings, he also got over those feelings quickly, despite worries about the informant's reliability. "I'm gonna do it. Whether you are or not (FBI), I'm gonna do it," he told the informant, according to the document. "Know why? It doesn't matter to me, whether I get locked up, arrested, or get taken away, it doesn't matter. Or I die, doesn't matter, I'm doing it in the name of Allah."

Later that evening, Tatar delivered the map, authorities said.

Authorities have said that the men went to the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania in February to train for an attack. But Richard Sparaco, Tatar's lawyer, said Wednesday that his client did not make that trip.

Tatar is charged, along with Mohamad Ibrahim Shnewer and the brothers Dritan, Eljvir and Shain Duka of conspiring to kill military personnel. All of them could be sentenced to life in prison if they are convicted.

A sixth man, Agron Abdullahu, is charged with providing weapons to illegal aliens, a crime punishable by up 10 to years in federal prison.

All six men are being held without bail.
    What was their first clue that his intention might no have been on the up and up?
    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

If they just waited a few more months they could've gotten a Z Visa and a path to citizenship.
      The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
        If they just waited a few more months they could've gotten a Z Visa and a path to citizenship.
        Don't be so cynical. They just wanted jobs Americans do want to do.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

If he wasnt a US Citizen then Employmnet in NJ wasnt a option for him. US Citizenship is a requirement on the state level for ANY LEO position here. Oakland?? Im not so sure about.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpdpipes View Post
            If he wasnt a US Citizen then Employmnet in NJ wasnt a option for him. US Citizenship is a requirement on the state level for ANY LEO position here. Oakland?? Im not so sure about.
            I'm not sure San Francisco and Oakland are part of the U.S. Last I heard, their school boards wanted to keep military recruiters off campus.
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4965 users online. 250 members and 4715 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X