300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas station DL?

I worked a traffic stop the other night where the only valid DL in the vehicle was a Kansas dl that had been printed out from a gas station on a receipt. Just wondering if anybody else ever runs into this, first time I had ever seen anything like it.

Printed out from a gas station..? Can't say I've ever seen that before.
    summer - winter - work

Comment

A couple of years ago Kansas shifted from each county DMV issuing DLs to a centralized system where the DL is issued out of Topeka. The individual is given a printed receipt like temporary license, it should contain all of the relavent information along with a really crappy black and white picture.
      never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

Never heard of that before either.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

texas, we are all issued from TX DPS in Austin, your temp looks like an insurance card, no picture...
          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy78 View Post
            I worked a traffic stop the other night where the only valid DL in the vehicle was a Kansas dl that had been printed out from a gas station on a receipt. Just wondering if anybody else ever runs into this, first time I had ever seen anything like it.
            I am not a LEO, but maybe this will help.

My mom and dad used to own several retail stores. It was a family business and we never looked into security for close to 10 years in business. (very expensive) One day we were scammed out of a lot of money. We called merchant services and they recommended a new system that scanned a DL as ID. This system scans a DL and will print the ID on a thermal printer. (a deterrent when the perp gets a receipt)

The only thing I can say is that this person had his/her DL scanned and kept the receipt and that was the only thing he/she had on them. It is an actual copy of the DL but I don't know if it is legal to use one in place of a DL.

Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks furetto7, you are talking about exactly the same thing I saw. It is a valid dl, but unlike what somebody else pointed out, I don't think it is just a printed out version of their dl, I think it is the only id this guy had at all.

Comment

Originally posted by furetto7 View Post
                A couple of years ago Kansas shifted from each county DMV issuing DLs to a centralized system where the DL is issued out of Topeka. The individual is given a printed receipt like temporary license, it should contain all of the relavent information along with a really crappy black and white picture.
                Very close...everything is right except to my knowledge the real DLs are printed at one place out of state, not in Topeka. Wyoming...Montana...I can't remember where exactly, but they're made by Digimarc ID Systems. It takes about 2 weeks to get your REAL D/L, but the one they give you has all the regular info on it, a crappy picture and a signature. It is a long, narrow receipt looking thing on heat sensitive paper. So if you sit on it too long in your wallet, it starts to turn brown. If it gets photocopied, it turns black.

The D/L you saw was real based on what you said.

http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/newdlfaq.pdf

Comment

I still have my illinois license w/o photo as a keep sake from the 70's
                  when i was 16 or 17
                  " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                  " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I think I still have my first Missouri D/L. I also have my first Kansas D/L that I had to get while in the academy but living in Missouri with the academy address on it. That's battle scars there!!

Comment

I work close to the Alabama/Florida state line. I've seen a photo copy print out of AL D/L's that are issued to drivers pending the state sending the actual DL in the mail.
                      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                        I work close to the Alabama/Florida state line. I've seen a photo copy print out of AL D/L's that are issued to drivers pending the state sending the actual DL in the mail.

Here in VA they print out your DL instantly in front of you. Mine took about 15 seconds after my picture was taken. I wonder why they would "outsource" the printing when there are small printers that can do it in "real time". Seems like a waste of time. Just my thoughts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6127 users online. 341 members and 5786 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X