300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Decide on a Weapon

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. I will be attending an academy pre-service here in CA starting next month and I can not decide on a weapon to use during it. I already have a Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm and a Glock 23 (compact 40cal). The Glock is quite a bit lighter and the 40. cal round is prob more realistic to what i might carry at a PD, however it is the compact version. The Sig is a great gun but 9mm is not very realistic anymore. What do you guys think?

bz

I'd go with whatever you are more familiar with and whatever you shoot better with. Less stress in the academy = good thing.

Comment

Can't decide on weapon

Well, you have two very excellent weapons. Yours is the type of question you ask 12 different people, and you get 12 different answers. All good ones. The Sieg P-226 is an excellent weapon, and I always especially liked the de-cock safety feature. The initial double action trigger pull will be a little harder than the Glock. Either caliber is good, the 9MM is still the caliber many agencies use. My department (Alabama DPS) issues the Glock Model 22 in .40Cal S&W. Great weapon too. For me, it's a coin toss. Either weapon is an excellent choice. For a new shooter, the 9MM might be a little easier to handle, but that's just my feeling.

Comment

Many departments carry the G-23 (Mine included) as a Duty weapon, remember even thogh it's more "Compact" than the 17/22, the 19/23 frame is still not what one would consider THAT "Compact"

Comment

They're both excellent weapons and used properly, in the right hands, equally effective. If you're concerned about stopping power, you can purchase the P226 in .40 S&W or it's smaller brother the P229 in the same caliber. If you'd rather have less recoil, you can purchase the Glock 19 or 17 in 9mm. I've carried both types of weapons (Sig P226 9mm and Glock 22/23) at one point or another in my career and here are a few thing which in my opinion tip the scales towards Glocks (a little bit):

1) The Glock gives you the benefit of a simpler weapon. No grip screws to keep tightened and no decocking lever to manipulate after firing. The trigger pull is the same for each shot from first to last (except for Sigs set up as DAOs, most are DA on the first shot and then a light single action for the following rounds).

2) The Glock can be part of a weapons system, in that you can carry a smaller version of your primary duty weapon, which can utilize the same magazine as the larger pistol that you carry. If you carry a Glock 22 (full size) you can use a Model 23 (compact) or Model 27 (subcompact) as a backup or off duty weapon. Either can use the full size magazines, although they will obviously extend beyond the grip. Your off duty/backup weapon is the same pistol as your primary duty weapon, except for having a shorter barrel and grip frame. With new shooter especially, simple is best and it doesn't get any simpler than Glock.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Not reading what everyone else said I might repeat some stuff...

First off: I would consider using what everyone else uses for two main reasons. One that if you ever find yourself in a gun fight you can share ammo and magazines. Secondly if you ever have a weapon jam and need to take another officers gun you are already familiar with it. How likely are these scenarios gonna happen? I don't know but I am sure when they do you would be glad to be carying the right gun.

And the second thing I considered when buying a gun was should I get a double action/single action or just single action. Personally I carry the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 and I love it (I found that the M&P fit my hand better and felt that I had more control over the gun). I was debating that one and the Glock. I have shot a lot of double action/single action guns and I don't like the fact that the first pull of the trigger is so much heavier than the following pulls. I know that this is used for safety. But talking to a couple of friends who are now working for Seattle PD both state that many officers in training struggle with using double action/single action guns in qualifying.

I hope this helped.

I don't know everything. But this is just my experiences.

Chris

Comment

Thanks alot for everyones fast responses. I think I'm going to choose the Glock 23, I already bought a really good holster (the safariland front draw level II) and it works really great... I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how the academy goes. Thanks!

bz

Comment

Good luck in the academy! When you're ready to buy an off-duty holster, check out Milt Sparks Leather. There'll be a delay of several months, but you'll be glad you waited.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Ditch the glock, you can never go wrong with a Sig. Sig has a .40 caliber, can't remember the model number at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonZ View Post
                    Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. I will be attending an academy pre-service here in CA starting next month and I can not decide on a weapon to use during it. I already have a Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm and a Glock 23 (compact 40cal). The Glock is quite a bit lighter and the 40. cal round is prob more realistic to what i might carry at a PD, however it is the compact version. The Sig is a great gun but 9mm is not very realistic anymore. What do you guys think?

bz
                    Do you already have a department in mind that you are trying to get hired on with? If so, what weapons are approved for carry with this department? I am assuming that you are going to an academy like Rio Hondo and hoping to get picked up by a department, which is not a bad idea at all. Remember, you will be doing a lot of training while you are at the academy and you should use a weapon that you can use at work for all of this training.

"Fight as you train, train as you fight" doesn't just apply to tactics and techniques, but to the equipment as well.
                    Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by CODE-30 View Post
                      Ditch the glock, you can never go wrong with a Sig. Sig has a .40 caliber, can't remember the model number at the moment.
                      Can't say I agree with you about Glocks, but if you like Sigs in .40 S&W, the P226 and P229 are both available in that caliber with high capacity mags.

Comment

I have not completely decided on an agency yet, so I'm not sure on a specific weapon for an agency... Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to use the Glock 23, I shoot better with the Sig, but the Glock is also a great gun and i'm sure by the end of academy I will shoot fine with it. It also weighs quite a bit less! FYI its Rio Hondo Class 184. I'll be keeping everyone posted!

Comment

Good luck Brandon!
                          Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                            Can't say I agree with you about Glocks, but if you like Sigs in .40 S&W, the P226 and P229 are both available in that caliber with high capacity mags.
                            I dont know much about guns, but cant you buy a converstion barrel/kit for the 226 and make it a .40 cal (if you currently have a 9mm?)
                            ....Remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste,look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end. -E. Whymper

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6417 users online. 374 members and 6043 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X