Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball Players Threaten Strike! (Anybody care?)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Players Threaten Strike! (Anybody care?)

I understand the average MLB player salary is about 2 million dollars a year.

The team owners want to implement revenue sharing and install a salary cap. Apparently they cannot stop themselves from overspending on player salaries and need these changes.

The players are upset that, if there's a league wide salary cap they won't make as much money. I can see their point. Imagine trying to scrape by on 10 million dollars a year when you could be making 12 million.

I'm not a real baseball guy (more of a NFL, NHL fan) so I could give a ant's *** if they strike.

How clueless are these players anyway? Thousands of Americans have lost their jobs or retirement investments from the crappy economy, the country is still dealing with terrorists and these clowns are whining about not making enough money.

I'm praying they actually strike. I would hope when the strike ends the fans will boycott the games. Of course I know that would never happen as long as there are baseball worshipping lemmings out there.

Your thoughts?

[ 08-21-2002, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: BRICKCOP ]
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

The last...hell, the ONLY MLB game I've ever been to was in 1979. I saw the Texas Rangers play the Boston White Sox. I saw a triple play that day.

Seriously, I almost rather watch paint dry as watch baseball.....but that may change. My daughter is engaged(almost) to a baseball player. He's a pitcher...left-handed, with an 86mph fastball. Currently, the Cubs are scouting him.

[ 08-21-2002, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Speaking of baseball, I just had to say that Derek Jeter is HOT. =)

Back to the thread....
      "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Comment

Boy shooter, it has been a long time- it's the Boston RED Sox.

I hope your future son-in-law gets drafted by the Cubs. That way you can hit him up for a couple thousand whenever you are short on gas money.

[ 08-21-2002, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: BRICKCOP ]
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I myself love baseball, mater of fact I like most sports. But if they strike I'll never watch another game agian. I agree, these player's are acting like babies. Come on guys I would take your spot anyday of the week. Hell I'll even settle for being payed 100k a year.
          LETS GO CAPS!!

LETS GO TERPS!!

Comment

Screw em!!!

It took me years to start watching again after the last strike, if they do it again I will not watch another game.  -

But at this point in the year who cares about baseball? It's football season!!!

[ 08-21-2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Rimfire ]
            There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Steven Wright

Comment

Up until the strike in 94 I attended on average 20-30 games a year, listened to every Orioles game on radio or watched it on tv and then watched just about any other game that happened to be on television. After that strike it took me until this year to really get back into it.

There are a couple of things about this season that could make me stop following baseball for good. First would be another strike cancelling the World Series.

Another would be contraction the way it seems to be proposed. The Twins have a damn good chance of winning it all yet they are a candidate for contraction. While support for the Twins in Minnesota isn't what it could be, they outdraw Florida and Tampa Bay, two teams that are not at the top of the list for contraction. Baseball in Florida was supposed to be the greatest thing to happen to baseball but it seems to be a flop.

Baseball needs a REAL commisioner, not an owner masquerading as one. Bud Selig, grow up. You're a the little boy who when he doesn't get his way takes his toys home! Why not contract your team? Oh yeah....that's right. The Brewers would be the only team in the upper midwest if the Twins disappear.
              In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

What's baseball?

Mike

Comment

Who's Derek Jetter?

[ 08-21-2002, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: msdobson ]

Comment

Comment

The leagues can all fold as far as I'm concerned. I don't watch the game anymore.
                      " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

I quit watching baseball when they went on strike the first time.

Screw them.......

And I quit watching pro football when they went on strike.........

Screw them too.

I hear all this whining about: Our careers only last a few years. Tough Sh*t!. You make more each year than I do in my career. Invest all that freakin money instead of buying gold chains, cars and white powder to go up your nose!!!

Screw them all.

Comment

I could care less about baseball in any shape or form. Let 'em strike. Whatever, it makes me no never mind.

Football OTOH. . .  -
                          6P1 (retired)

Comment

QUOTE:
                            "Boy shooter, it has been a long time- it's the Boston RED Sox"

well they probably used to be white until someone let a guy do the laundry...you know us, we just put everything in one load and colors & whites don't mix...sooooo, out come the RED sox!!

if the owners weren't dumb and dumber than the players they would have locked them out a long time ago and told them "you can come back and start collecting your checks again when you are ready to play by OUR rules"...but what do you expect when the sheeple owners are led by the likes of bud "lite" selig!!

NITESHIFT said:
                            "I hear all this whining about: Our careers only last a few years. Tough Sh*t!. You make more each year than I do in my career. Invest all that freakin money instead of buying gold chains, cars and white powder to go up your nose!!!"

NOW you hit the nail on the head!! most of these crybabies make more in a year than me and my wife will make in a lifetime. what...you can't live on 2 million bucks a year?? barry bonds and his ilk can go scrub their collective MLB asses as far as i'm concerned...but with barry's money he probably hires someone to scrub it for him!!

[ 08-21-2002, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: nickg ]
                            I'll post, You argue.

Comment

It's still baseball season?? God, I can't wait for hockey season to start!

And to answer your question, NO, I don't care if they strike. I've had no real interest in baseball the past few years. Probably because the Phillies suck so bad, they make the game hard to watch.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5029 users online. 338 members and 4691 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X