300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEOSA permit expiring.

Don’t know if anyone else is running into this problem but here goes.
    Im a FL resident but I’am stuck in NY right now because of this virus and don’t want to travel back home until all of this passes ( watching my elderly mom in NY ) but my permit ( HR-218 ) expires in mid April and I will probably still be in NY and we know NY doesn’t recognize my FL CC so....
    Anyone hear of an extension on these permits if they expire or nobody’s run into this problem yet ?
    Maybe some has a contact in DC that can look into this.

Thanks all

Try calling the local PD in your area, if you are able and put your situation in writing. I think your explanation would be good with if you were dealing with a member on this forum, or any other state for that manner when explaining why your license expired if asked. New York on the other hand I'm not so sure, they've thrown the book at licensed fire arms owners just for traveling through their airport with a fire arm checked by TSA.

Comment

Google HR 218 qualification New York. You will find a number of private ranges that will put you trough the qualification course and issue a card if they have not closed shop themselves due to the virus.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Google HR 218 qualification New York. You will find a number of private ranges that will put you trough the qualification course and issue a card if they have not closed shop themselves due to the virus.
        I thought you can only get HR 218 qualified in your home state ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gravesend60 View Post

LEOSA says you have to qualify meeting the standards of the state in which you reside. I know you see your presence there as being temporary, but based on the statements you've made here, it appears you have been residing in New York for some time now to take care of parents and will not resume residence in Florida until that task has has been completed at some undetermined date. I suspect you have been in New York long enough that their state law says you should have obtained a New York drivers license and vehicle registration by now. You are de facto New York resident.

Under the circumstances, I don't think anyone will quibble with you over this if you do your HR-218 qual while there.

Comment

State of residence
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You also have to remember the spirit of the law. The intention of the annual qual requirement was to ensure your shooting skills were up to snuff as established by a state - any state. No one cares if you qualify in state A and get involved in a UOF in state B. All anyone (who counts) is going to worry about is whether you have demonstrated satisfactory skill with your firearm within the past 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

State of residence

Thats my understanding also.

Comment

No, my home state is VA but I qual in FL.

Comment

Originally posted by phillyrube View Post

No, my home state is VA but I qual in FL.

hmm I’ll have to look into this.

Comment

If your LEOSA card expires during this crisis where no one is really at work. And you actually made your reasonable attempts to be compliance with the law. Any LEO worth their weight should be able to articulate those facts and circumstances to any State's or District Attorney if it had come to that point. But simple going about your business as a retired LEO. "Sir, thanks for your service, enjoy those monthly checks and have a nice day" would be my response.

However, I worry about the LEO not worth their weight you'd run into.

Comment

I know it's been covered here before. The agency you're retired from is under no obligation to help you do anything with LEOSA. They dont even have to give you retired creds. In Virginia, state law says an officer who retires in good standing has a lifetime concealed weapons permit. Since Virginia reciprocates with many other states, that permit is good there. Florida is one such state.

Now, my old agency, as a public service, allows retirees to qualify. My agency then issues a special ID card that states I have qualified on this date. No requirement for any agency to do so. We qual other retirees as well, and they can then carry the qual sheet back to their own agency, who is not under any obligation to do anything, or they can.

Now, I moved to Florida. I can carry in those states that recognize the Virginia permit. Should I go to any other place that doesnt, I can carry under LEOSA as long as I have qualified within the past year. How do I do that? I can return to VA, or I can qualify in Florida. I did qual twice with a local university PD but they appear to longer want to even qual their own retirees. Local sheriffs office runs quals for retirees as a public service. So I qualified there and was handed an official card saying I have qualified, and can carry under LEOSA for the next year. I can also send the signed qual sheet back to my old agency and they will issue me a new LEOSA card.

I talked to some of the guys who were shooting with me here, and was surprised how many departments around here will not allow their own retirees to qual. Makes me thankful I worked where I did.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
                          If your LEOSA card expires during this crisis where no one is really at work. And you actually made your reasonable attempts to be compliance with the law. Any LEO worth their weight should be able to articulate those facts and circumstances to any State's or District Attorney if it had come to that point. But simple going about your business as a retired LEO. "Sir, thanks for your service, enjoy those monthly checks and have a nice day" would be my response.

However, I worry about the LEO not worth their weight you'd run into.
                          Exactly. !!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8192 users online. 437 members and 7755 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X