Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff’s office arrests one of its own

http://www.courieraz.com//xta-asp/pa...pl=iframe_main

PRESCOTT – After a tip from a jail inmate, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office arrested one of its patrol deputies Sunday.

Justin Dwyer faces drug charges.

“We were first made aware by a person incarcerated in our jail,” YCSO Cmdr. Scott Mascher said during Monday’s press conference. “It definitely gives us a black eye and tarnishes our badge. I personally apologize to our community if any trust has been lost.”

The 39-year-old deputy, who has been with the agency since 1999, faces seven felony counts including possession of dangerous drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia, use of cocaine, involving a minor in a drug offense and driving under the influence of drugs.

The charge of involving a minor in a drug offense stems from an April 26 incident when Dwyer sent his 16-yearold son to buy 3.5 grams of cocaine from a drug dealer,the Sheriff’s Office says.

On Sunday, while off duty, Dwyer obtained a usable amount of cocaine and drove to a convenience store at the intersection of Gurley and Sheldon streets where deputies arrested him, the Sheriff’s Office reports.

Mascher said it took his staff about a month to gather enough information to arrest Dwyer, whose assignment involved patrolling in the Northern Area Command, which includes the Prescott area.

Mascher said Dwyer admitted to a personal cocaine habit. Dwyer’s urine sample showed cocaine in his system and he was under the influence when he drove to the store, he said.

After the arrest, the Sheriff’s Office executed a search warrant at Dwyer’s home and discovered drug paraphernalia items, a usable amount of cocaine and several firearms, including guns that the deputy owned personally.

During the search, detectives found a small amount of marijuana on Dwyer’s son, and they booked him into the Yavapai County Juvenile Detention Center in Prescott, Mascher said.

Mascher said no other deputies appear to be involved.

“This seems to be specific just to one officer,” he said.

Mascher said during the investigation, “We did use listening devices.”

He said they have found no indication that Dwyer was selling cocaine or that he has been using drugs other than the cocaine.

The Sheriff’s Office is looking into the possibility that Dwyer’s drug involvement may have compromised other criminal cases.

“That has been a topic and a concern,” Mascher said.

However, they have been unable to determine whether Dwyer used drugs while on the job.

The Sheriff’s Office has placed Dwyer on administrative suspension without pay pending further investigation.

Mascher specify couldn’t the latest time the Sheriff’s Office drug-tested its deputies and detention officers, but said that the Sheriff’s Office started developing random drug test policies before this incident. Dwyer’s arrest emphasizes the need for it, he said.

Dwyer received some notoriety nine months ago when he noticed a suspicious plant growing between two driveways in the Pine Lakes Senior Subdivision outside Prescott. The attractive weed charmed its residents and they kept watering it.

When it grew to be about 5 feet tall, it couldn’t escape Dwyer’s well-trained eye. He determined it to be a wild growing marijuana plant.

Originally posted by xraodcop
    However, they have been unable to determine whether Dwyer used drugs while on the job
    Then let me help them. He was a coke addict, he was definitely using coke while working.

The only thing I think he really did wrong was sending his 16 year-old to buy coke. Just my opinion, though.

Comment

In Calif, he would be screwed. If he came forward VOLUNTARILY (instead of being arrested), he would have been put in a drug treatment program and released to full duty after satisfactory completion of the program and a suspension. A second dirty test would get him fired for good.

This guy got what was coming to him. Involving his OWN SON??? What an asshat.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
        In Calif, he would be screwed. If he came forward VOLUNTARILY (instead of being arrested), he would have been put in a drug treatment program and released to full duty after satisfactory completion of the program and a suspension. A second dirty test would get him fired for good.
        If he was involved in activity like this while employed by my agency I hope he'd be fired immediately. He can get rehab (voluntarily or otherwise) on his own, as a citizen. The first time he possessed cocaine (before he became addicted) he was committing a felony offense and as a sworn peace officer he knew better. I realize that some departments are hiring people with some past "hard" drug use these days and I'm not happy about it, but to retain someone who started buying/using/possessing drugs such as cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine while employed as a cop? No way.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I totally agree with you, puli! The department sees it a bit differently with ADA and all that crap. He has a "sickness" which means it's not his fault, right? Gimme a break. He knew what he was putting up his nose (with his training and experience). He knew it was a felony when he did it. He made his bed....you know the rest.

Comment

Screw the dirty POS. Send him to prison, where coke users belong.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

In Calif, he would be screwed. If he came forward VOLUNTARILY (instead of being arrested), he would have been put in a drug treatment program and released to full duty after satisfactory completion of the program and a suspension. .
              Maybe in your department, but not mine. He would not only be fired but prosecuted as well.
              Retired

Comment

IMachU, that is very surprising considering he used a minor (his OWN SON!) to obtain the drugs, drove under the influence of the stuff, and probably violated a number of other serious laws regarding suspect/officer contact in the jail.
                -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

An officer should not be retained after he comes forward and admits to using coke, or any other illegal drug. With the exception of marijuana, pretty much every illegal drug is a felony to possess. Therefore, you would have an officer admitting to committing felonies on multiple occasions. That is not someone who can be allowed to continue to serve as a peace officer.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

It's bad enough that he does drugs, but to get his son involved and now he's facing charges. What a piece of garbage!
                    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I was my department's chemical dependency supervisor for six years, until they did away with my postition. At LAPD testing dirty, or coming forward with the admission you're using drugs/narco is a one-way ticket out the door. We still offer (at no, or low-cost) 30-40 days in-patient treatment, though, so you can get clean and sober while you prepare to find your next job. I watched two guys in six years give their jobs away behind meth and coke. The only exception is prescription meds that end up being abused.
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                        Then let me help them. He was a coke addict, he was definitely using coke while working.

The only thing I think he really did wrong was sending his 16 year-old to buy coke. Just my opinion, though.
                        You really are exhibiting troll-like behavior, aren't you? Are you looking to get us all riled up?

He swore an oath and took a dump on it. He made every other cop, anywhere close to his agency look bad by his actions. He set himself up to be corrupted by a dealer, or to become a thief himself.

Do you spend much time with coke addicts? Do you know the depths to which they will go to get what they need, when they desperately need it?

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

The department sees it a bit differently with ADA and all that crap. He has a "sickness" which means it's not his fault, right?
                          Sorry, but if your department is applying the ADA that way, they're wrong. The ADA only covers recovering addicts and alcoholics, not the using and wet ones.

And all it means is that a recovering person can't be discriminated against for their past behavior.

If someone is still drinking and using you can discriminate all you want to...because they are an unreliable employee who puts others at risk. They're unsafe. When I testified at departmental hearings, I told the Department they were free to punish the act of a recovering alcoholic, they just couldn't heap more stuff on to the recovering alcoholic employee when compared to the 'got-drunk-just-once-and-screwed-up' employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                            Sorry, but if your department is applying the ADA that way, they're wrong. The ADA only covers recovering addicts and alcoholics, not the using and wet ones.

And all it means is that a recovering person can't be discriminated against for their past behavior.

If someone is still drinking and using you can discriminate all you want to...because they are an unreliable employee who puts others at risk. They're unsafe. When I testified at departmental hearings, I told the Department they were free to punish the act of a recovering alcoholic, they just couldn't heap more stuff on to the recovering alcoholic employee when compared to the 'got-drunk-just-once-and-screwed-up' employee.
                            You are right, I was mistaken. RECOVERING being the key word. I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post

That's the ONLY thing you think he did wrong? Not hardly. Not only has he tarnished his department, broken citizen trust, but he's also potentially ruined any cases that he was involved in...who's going to explain that to the victims of those cases? Any defense attorney worth a ____ would try to get a case dismissed based on this Deputy's involvement...what if those are assaults, rapes, etc...now the victim is left out because a Deputy couldn't remember which side of the law he was on.
                              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5220 users online. 287 members and 4933 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X