300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corona overtime compensation

Just curious how many departments out there are paying overtime for any time worked during this pandemic? Philly police is giving officers 1.5x rate but my dept in Philly is only paying straight time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tommydesigns; 03-18-2020, 06:36 PM.
    Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009

I've never heard of such a thing until reading this post. In fact, it sounds somewhat bizarre. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make more money as a result of my efforts during this pandemic....but to some degree isn't this what we've signed up for? Not the exposure to infectious illnesses but the availability during the time of distress and panic among the public, among other factors.
    Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

My city has a similar policy. It's undetermined if it's in effect at the moment...some other city departments have shut down, while others are still open. More often, the policy goes into effect when we end up under a snow emergency that shuts everything down.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
        I've never heard of such a thing until reading this post. In fact, it sounds somewhat bizarre. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make more money as a result of my efforts during this pandemic....but to some degree isn't this what we've signed up for? Not the exposure to infectious illnesses but the availability during the time of distress and panic among the public, among other factors.
        Yea I agree

I have read a LOT of collective bargaining contracts over the years and never seen this
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I worry about even getting paid! All our non-essential staff are supposedly allowed to work from home. Meaning payroll ain't at the office. We are getting paid our regular pay, not overtime. We have been told that no one will get comp time or vacation time off for the next 60 days. If we get the virus it will be considered worker's comp, at least that's what was said, but not confirmed.

Crazy.

Comment

I have heard of a CBA being suspended. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Comment

I wouldn't stay if it went over 1 minute of regular tour and I was not being compensated with the overtime rate.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRetireYet View Post
                I have heard of a CBA being suspended. Has anyone else heard of this happening?
                Ha...yea, I'd guess that would result in alot of cops "self-quarantining."
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Not anything I've ever seen for regular-duty time.

For us, nothing has changed in terms of compensation, i.e., the minute I go over 16 hours in 1 shift or 40 hours in a week I get 1.5X pay. I think there's a weekly level where it gets bumped to 2X pay, but I've never hit that and would have to review my compensation guidelines to see what the number is.

That being said, we were just mandated to begin 12-hour shifts (from 10) and the rotation schedule is such that it will result in at least 12 hours of OT at least every 3rd or 4th week, I believe. And that's not accounting for being called in to cover shifts in the event we start having staffing shortages due to self-quarantine or illness.

Our agency is non-union.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
                    Our agency is non-union.
                    I'm still blown away whenever I hear this.

Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by RequestingMeal View Post
                      I wouldn't stay if it went over 1 minute of regular tour and I was not being compensated with the overtime rate.
                      Agree with this

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post

I'm still blown away whenever I hear this.
                        Agree with this

Comment

Originally posted by RequestingMeal View Post
                          At my old jail, we lost all overtime pay if we used a sick day during that pay period, even if the OT we worked was mandated. Even if a supervisor forced you to go home early because you were clearly too sick to work, you STILL lost all your OT for those two weeks.

One of a myriad of reasons why I quit.
                          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                          -Chris Rock

Comment

WTF?!?

Was there a reason for that policy? Like a legitimate one?

otherwise, that sounds like wage theft. Screw a bargaining agreement. That’s theft.
                            semper destravit

Comment

At my old jail, we lost all overtime pay if we used a sick day during that pay period, even if the OT we worked was mandated. Even if a supervisor forced you to go home early because you were clearly too sick to work, you STILL lost all your OT for those two weeks.
                              Wow. I bet that policy, if still in place, is under heavy review these days.

At my agency, I feel the need to stifle a sneeze out of fear they're going to send me home for 2 weeks of self-monitoring.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8249 users online. 438 members and 7811 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X