300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral board today

I had my oral board interview today. I thought I did very poorly. None of the questions I was given to prepare for were asked there. That kind of threw me off a little, and it was hard to formulate well prepared answers to these questions I never expected.
    Later in the day I talked to a friend that works for the department, he said he talked to the woman on the board and she said I was the highest scored of the day. Guess I didn't do too bad, unless he is just trying to make me feel good. Now I have to wait until Friday to get the phone call.
    Just me being excited.

Bill

Good luck to you, Bill, and congratulations! I thought I bombed my Oral Board for Sgt. when I was at DOC but apparently they didn't think so as I placed 22nd in the State.

Comment

I was so nervous. The 2nd question they asked me was "you're having a party at your house tonight, you can only invite 4 of us, (there were 5 people on the board) who do you not invite and why?" I said I wouldn't invite the chief, then when they all stared at me in confusion for a couple of seconds, I realized the chief wasn't there. The man I meant was the Captain. Ooops....
      haha, they didn't seem to mind though.

Comment

Five people on an oral board? That's not a board it's a conference! It sounds like you did well. Sometimes oral boards like to see how one recovers from an error like you described. It shows what the applicant is really like and how their thinking process works. Everyone knows how "canned" some applicants' orals are and let's face it, just because you can put on a good song and dance for an oral board doesn't mean you can perform well in the job.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I just had my oral board today and there were 6 people on it-chief, two captains, two detectives, and a guy from human resources. I think it went pretty well...the chief grilled me pretty good though, so we'll see how it goes. The process is going pretty quick, so I should find out in a week or so. good luck to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by sockherman View Post
            I was so nervous. The 2nd question they asked me was "you're having a party at your house tonight, you can only invite 4 of us, (there were 5 people on the board) who do you not invite and why?" I said I wouldn't invite the chief, then when they all stared at me in confusion for a couple of seconds, I realized the chief wasn't there. The man I meant was the Captain. Ooops....
            haha, they didn't seem to mind though.
            At first glance I would say that this question is much like the “responding to a hot call / flat tire / lost lug nuts” question. It’s testing your attention to detail, identification of technicalities, and your ability to solve problems on your feet.

A good answer would be an articulate version of something along the lines of,
            “I would invite four of you at random and then ask each of you to invite the fifth person.”

The question only stated how many people you can invite, not how many you can accommodate. I am not a LEO and I could be reading into it way too much; however this would be my response and gut feeling on what the question was testing you on.
            I'm back in the game baby.

Not a LEO.

Comment

Well another obvious answer would be, The party IS at my house, so I can invite however many people I would like, and I would bring all 5. But I'm assuming they wouldn't want that answer.

Comment

I'd say I'd invite the first four, from left to right. Since I don't know any of them personally, that would be a fair way to do it and it keeps the answer short.

Comment

Or it could be a fraternization question, depending on the rank of the other board members. What were the ranks of the other officers? If it were the captain and five officers, or even a sergeant, I think they may have been looking for insight into the chain of command and appropriate/non appropriate socialization outside of work.

Comment

one of the questions I had on my board yesterday was, "if you could be a car, what would you be and why?" I was like, what the hell kind of question is that? I guess one of those questions that try to look at your personality. I said a truck, lol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5421 users online. 276 members and 5145 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X