300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR 218 card and qualifications after moving to another state

Recently retired from an agency in California and will probably be moving out of state this year. Maybe someone here knows the answer to my question. Once in another state, does my former agency still re-issue the HR 218 card annually or can another agency or entity do it?

First, congratulations on your retirement, and congratulations on your impending escape from the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia).

I just retired a few months ago, and have been all through this. This is what I learned:

It's not an "HR218" card, it's a LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act) retired officer card.

Upon retirement, your former agency should have issued you one of two types of "qualified retired law enforcement officer" identification cards. The word "qualified" in that phrase means that you qualify for the LEOSA provisions- it does not mean that you qualified with your pistol.

Both types of identification cards will indicate that you have retired after 10 years or more of service as a police officer. One type of card will indicate that you have qualified with your pistol within the last year, and the other will not.

If you were issued one that did not indicate that you have qualified with your pistol within the last year, you'll need to go qualify with your pistol in the state you live, and carry that pistol qualification card with your retirement card.

Either way, once it's been a year since you last qualified with your pistol, you'll need to go qualify with your pistol where you live, and carry that pistol qualification card with your retirement card.

When your retirement card expires, it will need to be renewed by the agency you retired from- nobody else is going to be able to certify that you were a cop for 10 years or more.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• coltleo
      coltleo commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats to you too.

I'm just going to take a shot at this. There are a few agencies here in California that do not provide HR 218 qualification shoots for their or other agency retirees. As a result, privately run ranges will do HR 218 shoots and provide the HR 218 card as there is no requirement that the qual card be provided by a government agency. You may find something like that where you are going.

Other states I've looked into do different things. In one, (a small state) the FOP does a shoot twice a year and all the out of state retirees go to that. In another, out of state retirees have any licensed Concealed Firearms Instructor (private) run you through the qualification course and sign the required form. You then send that form to that state's equivalent of POST and they issue you a HR 218 card.

You need to Google HR 218 qualification for that state and you should come up with the answer.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      L-1, with all due respects, It's not "HR218", it's LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act). "HR218" is a common misnomer for LEOSA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_En...ers_Safety_Act
      Last edited by Aidokea; 03-08-2020, 02:53 PM.

• L-1
      L-1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess the term of choice depends on where you are - either, eyether, neither, nyther, potato, potahtoe, tomato, tomahtoe.

Our department issued LEOSA cards (<== That was just for you) have the words HR218 CARD printed in big bold letters across the top. (Yeah, we talk funny out here.)

My agency runs requals 4 times a year for retirees. In Virginia you can carry concealed based on your retired status. Same as a civvie CCP. They issue a card showing a qual date, so each year you have to requal. Not all departments will take care of their retirees. Our agency requals most of the local and fed retirees.

Moved to Flatistan, and requaled with local college department . Sent score sheet back to my agency and they issued a new card. Then the school got a new chief and training officer and is talking about not allowing their own retired officers to qual. Liability.

Local sheriff here runs a requal program and gives you a card stating you have qualed. Carry that with your creds and you are good to go.

Comment

Not to hijack the tread, but I was in Texas last year for a law enforcement trade show, was talking to a retired Dallas cop and asked about HR218 in that state. While he had an HR218 card, he also had a Texas conceal handgun license. When I inquired as to why he had both, he explained that under Texas law there were certain places where state law prohibited carrying a concealed weapon unless one had a CHL. Apparently the law made no exception for HR218 card holders, so most retired cops also had CHLs as well.

I'm just wondering what other states have similar provisions? Anyone?

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Not to hijack the tread, but I was in Texas last year for a law enforcement trade show, was talking to a retired Dallas cop and asked about HR218 in that state. While he had an HR218 card, he also had a Texas conceal handgun license. When I inquired as to why he had both, he explained that under Texas law there were certain places where state law prohibited carrying a concealed weapon unless one had a CHL. Apparently the law made no exception for HR218 card holders, so most retired cops also had CHLs as well.

Most CURRENT Iowa LEO's carry private weapons permits so they can carry "out of policy " and not on their creds & yes many retired officers also carry private weapons permits also as well as Retired cards.

Also my agency will qualify any retired officer who brings a box of ammo with them when we do our retired/transport/jail quals. We provide them with a qual sheet which they can shirink and laminate to carry in their wallett
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Once your agency issues the Retired ID card, their involvement ends. Forever.

To maintain LEOSA privileges, you can qualify with anyone who is authorized to conduct LEO firearms quals in your state. That might be an active-duty officer at your local PD’s range, an off-duty running a LEOSA qual on his own time, or a POST-certified private instructor. Pass the qualification, and they issue a card stating that you qualified. It is valid for one year.

You do not need to send a copy of the card, or a letter to your old department, and they do not need to send you anything. Your Retired Officer ID card and the locally-issued qualification card are all you need to carry.

A lot of agencies are really screwed up on this, and are telling their retirees that they need to get the qual card from them (from their retirement agency), are putting them through background checks and other BS. If that happens, just walk away, hold onto the ID that you got when you retired and go find a rangemaster on your own.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

There you go. Veritas.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
              Once your agency issues the Retired ID card, their involvement ends. Forever.
              You know, that's a very good point...

My retired ID card lists an expiration date, which would seem to imply that I would need to renew it with my previous employer at some point, but the text of the LEOSA law (18 USC 926B and 926C, makes no reference to having to "renew" the retired ID card...ever.

I suspect that once it's been issued, it's been issued, and it's valid for LEOSA purposes forever, regardless of any "expiration date" printed on it.
              Last edited by Aidokea; 03-10-2020, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

I suspect that once it's been issued, it's been issued, and it's valid for LEOSA purposes forever, regardless of any "expiration date" printed on it.
                I know they are not going to "revoke" my retirement.....

My agency actually tried that a couple weeks into my retirement ............long story
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Tell us, Daddy. Sounds like a funny one!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    Tell us, Daddy. Sounds like a funny one!
                    I had arraigned my retirement on the 30th of December after spending the preceding 2 months on terminal leave. I turned in all equipment on the 30th. The problem was that I was now out of leave, and 2 weeks short of my 55th birthday

The pension plan would not "retire" me as I wasn't old enough to receive a check. The HR people at my agency called to say that we "had a problem"

I explained that I had no problem what so ever and that as far as I was concerned I was retired. I explained that she could do whatever necessary but I was NOT coming back to work under any circumstances.

They ran me on payroll as Absent without leave for 2 weeks until I was old enough to retire officially .

I might add that the agency had tried to "make" me come in to the facility for a retirement luncheon on my last official day of employment ................and I refused. HR told me it was mandatory & I asked her to show me in policy where it was "mandatory"

I knew this was not happening since 5 yrs previously I was involved in a total re-write of agency policy (at the Central Office in Des Moines level) and knew exactly what policy was.

Yea, I left on not so good terms but as an honorable retiree.
                    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 03-10-2020, 10:29 AM. Reason: l

Comment

Nice. Well done! HR can be idiots at times. BTDT.

Comment

Thanks all for the input and info.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

We have a law exempting LEOs from a lot of the carry restrictions here. Though I still have a carry license. For one it makes it a little easier to buy a firearm and if I ever decide to tell them to kiss my backside, I can still carry.

But I sometimes travel to other states with reciprocal carry license agreements that would afford me more privileges or protection than LEOSA alone.
                          ​​​

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8312 users online. 441 members and 7871 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X