• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Searchers Looking for Missing Constable Find Shallow Grave

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273950,00.html

Saturday , May 19, 2007

CAMERON, S.C. —

Searchers looking for a state constable found a shallow grave near Interstate 26 on Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

A special team from Columbia has been called to dig up the body, which has not been identified, Charleston County sheriff's spokesman Capt. John Clark said.

Searchers returned to rural Orangeburg County on Saturday after learning some new information from the girlfriend of the chief suspect in the case, Clark said.

The grave was found about 15 miles west on I-26 from where the burned vehicle of one of the men being questioned in the case was discovered, Clark said.

"We got lucky to have found it," Clark said.

The coroner has been called to the scene and is expected to identify the body as soon as it can be excavated, Clark said.

Robert Lee Bailey, 67, was last seen Monday night making a traffic stop in Lincolnville, 50 miles away from where the grave was found.

A few minutes later and a few blocks down the road, gunfire was heard. Bailey's hat and gun and a pool of blood were found in a yard and his burning cruiser found a few miles away off I-26.

Later in the week, his badge and handcuffs case were found in a wad of burned rags near Harleyville, about 20 miles farther up the Interstate.

Authorities moved their search Saturday after talking to the first person charged in direct connection to the case. Asia Prioleau, 22, of Hopkins, faces one count of accessory after the fact to murder.

Prioleau is the girlfriend of the chief suspect, Walter Fayall, 24, who is being held on federal gun charges but has not been charged in this case, authorities said.

Investigators think Prioleau was at the home in Lincolnville where the blood was found and helped take Bailey from the area.

Bailey, a retired Dorchester County deputy, was a constable with Lincolnville for about five years, volunteering his time to the small town which has only one paid officer.

There are a little more than 2,000 constables in South Carolina. Bailey was one of 80 known as group three advanced constables.

sad

Comment

Wow, 67 and still working the streets? I'm not gonna make it that long working and my job's a lot easier on my body than policework!

Sad that such a strong person had to go like that.

Comment

Sad, but glad they were able to find him and bring him home.

Rest in peace sir.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

sad, and the family at least gets closure. I like the karma comment, that bus is more like a fully loaded mack truck, and may it not use brakes.
          ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

Glad they found him (if it's confirmed). As far as the killers....hang'em high
            live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

I hope the family can gain closure and start the healing process.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                sad, and the family at least gets closure. I like the karma comment, that bus is more like a fully loaded mack truck, and may it not use brakes.
                Actually I would prefer a big dump truck, the kind they use in Nevada for strip mining or a military tank. That way the pain would be nice and slow. Either that or a speeding locomotive.
                www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
                In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                  Sad, but glad they were able to find him and bring him home.

Rest in peace sir.
                  Well said. RIP, Constable Bailey.

Comment

I hope they rot in hell

Comment

If they can id the suspects in this case, I hope SC still has the death penalty.

And I hope they use it, if they can. 'nough said!
                      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

An update,
                        http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274114,00.html

Originally posted by Fox News
                        CHARLESTON, S.C. — The body found in a shallow grave near Interstate 26 is likely that of a missing law enforcement officer, but a positive identification has not been made, the Charleston County Coroner said Sunday.
                        Rest In Peace
                        Last edited by MSCO; 05-21-2007, 06:00 AM.

Comment

A quick update to the story:

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Walter Fayall III was sentenced to life in prison without parole Tuesday for the May, 2007 murder of Lincolnville constable Robery Bailey.

http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=11955661

Pled guilty on all counts.

Comment

What about the skank girl friend?

Comment

If i remember correctly, the car that Bailey pulled over was supposed to have 3 or 4 people in it... I would imagine they all face charges of accessory to the murder. But, since his gf cooperated, she will prob face lesser charges. If i see anything more about this case, I will be sure to post it up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4586 users online. 241 members and 4345 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X