300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolawrap restraint device

Anybody work for an agency that has the bolawrap? My agency is considering purchasing some of these, which are apparently in the field with some larger agencies. I've only been able to find one story so far of actual successful field uses and was wondering if maybe some end users might be on site here with a review or two of how well it actually works.

Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Havn't seen one in-person but the videos look like a gimmick. I don't get alot of resistings where the suspect stands there at an optimal distance with his arms down to his sides...
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

It took me about 3 minutes to realize this video wasn't indeed satire.

With that being said, I would love to see the demonstration in person. Like most Officers, I'm somewhat a skeptic. However if it's anything like what's being advertised - then yes, this is a game-changer.
      Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Always thought this was an elaborate joke.

Comment

Saw a demo in the Dallas area in 2019....it's legit.

Comment

If this will work on a subject, you don’t need it...
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I'm a skeptic as well...show me some videos of it being used on someone running, or arms up in a fighting stance. Every demonstration shows a subject in an optimal position for deployment. We all know that almost never happens in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
                I'm a skeptic as well...show me some videos of it being used on someone running, or arms up in a fighting stance. Every demonstration shows a subject in an optimal position for deployment. We all know that almost never happens in real life.
                See the video below. Is it the perfect tool for every situation? No. But might it be the perfect tool for certain situations? I believe it could be. We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A burglar can kick my front door in, but I still lock my door. Plenty of videos on the internet of situations involving knife-wielding suspects who are standing still while being confronted by officers, trying to work up the courage to get themselves shot. This could save lives.

Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                  If this will work on a subject, you don’t need it...
                  I disagree.

Comment

It worked on Running Man...
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post

I disagree.

Of course you do... however, someone running at you with a knife needs to be shiot.

You don't face lethal force with non lethal force.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Of course you do... however, someone running at you with a knife needs to be shiot.

You don't face lethal force with non lethal force.
                        The Bolawrap is designed to be used in the situation before he starts running toward anyone, as the video clearly indicated. It has already been successfully used in a real-world deployment to capture a knife-wielding suspect who stabbed two people.

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/ne...bbing-suspect/

Again, a specific tool for a specific scenario. If you take someone's ability to run toward you, then you remove the part of the equation that requires deadly force. If he can't get to you with the knife, there's no need to shoot. I'm not some pie-in-the-sky hippy... if somebody needs to be shot, by God, they're gonna get shot. But, if you can eliminate that need, why wouldn't you?

Comment

We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
                          I agree, and perhaps my initial comment came across as more negative than I intended. We shouldn't be immediately dismissing any new technology that allows us to gain control of subjects with less chance of injury to us or them. I'm old enough to remember the great skepticism that I heard when the first local agency began issuing Tasers...now just about every patrol officer around here has one.

I saw in the video that they're already working on a new version, and they specifically mentioned they're working to adjust the sound it makes. Even in their promo video, it sounds to me just like a gunshot when they deploy, and I could see that as potentially sparking a sympathetic reaction from officers providing deadly cover.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post

I saw in the video that they're already working on a new version, and they specifically mentioned they're working to adjust the sound it makes. Even in their promo video, it sounds to me just like a gunshot when they deploy, and I could see that as potentially sparking a sympathetic reaction from officers providing deadly cover.
                            I thought exactly the same thing. It uses a quarter-powered 9MM blank to fire, currently. There are a couple of technologies that I have thought over the years have the potential to be a game changer, and I think this is one. We're looking to potentially purchase 10 of them and enough cartridges for training and actual field use. The total price quoted for that setup is less than $15K, a drop in the bucket compared to the potential bad press and lawsuits from shooting someone in a standoff with a knife. You get one successful deployment and you've paid for the devices and then some, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
                              See the video below. Is it the perfect tool for every situation? No. But might it be the perfect tool for certain situations? I believe it could be. We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A burglar can kick my front door in, but I still lock my door. Plenty of videos on the internet of situations involving knife-wielding suspects who are standing still while being confronted by officers, trying to work up the courage to get themselves shot. This could save lives.

They're gonna have to make their demos more "real world" to convince me that this is a legitimate tool that I need to take up precious space and weight on my belt or vest. These demos of people sauntering away from someone armed with the Bolowrap at a measured pace or (dear Lord!) clips from NCIS to prove that it's going to work are not convincing to most of us who have been in enough real world less-than-lethal scenarios.

The reality is, we can't carry all the tools we need for just "certain situations." Most officers' belts are already full and we don't have room for gimmicks or specialized devices that only work in extremely limited situations. Police are generalists who have to be able to adapt to any situation, and our tools have to reflect that.
                              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10548 users online. 332 members and 10216 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X