Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    So people were lining up outside my local grocery store this morning at 7am to make a dash for the toilet paper aisle. Whatever was stocked overnight was gone in seconds.

    Reminded me of the period after Sandy Hook, when 2 or 3 guys would do the same for .22 ammo. They'd buy up whatever the rationed amount was, and text their friends to rush over and buy whatever was left. This went on for a good 2-3 years, and the only consistent place to find .22 ammo were gun shows ($75 for a brick of 500; previous price of $15/brick).

    And that was for .22 ammo, something only the gun crowd wanted. We're talking toilet paper now, something EVERYONE needs.

    Mark my words: TP will be going for $5/roll on the secondary market in a couple of weeks.

    And this as well: People will start to stink. I've spent a bit of time in third world countries where everyone squats over a hole or in the grass. Sometimes a bucket and ladle is used, sometimes not. As a result, everyone kind of has a poo poo smell.... something they're used to, but we are not. I think in a month or two, everyone here will as well....
    And what's the deal with toilet paper? I read that article you linked to in the Prepper thread of the guy who went through the Bosnian war. There was a few comments under the article where people were asking him about toilet paper. He said it wasn't really that big of a trading asset and that people would just do their business and wipe with whatever they thought was decent to use. I can understand bottled water and canned food, but toilet paper ain't gonna keep you alive. Haven't heard if Corona Virus causes diarrhea.

    I might add too, the wife went to Costco yesterday and all the toilet paper was gone from there too. Not the bottled water, but fricken toilet paper.

    Comment


    • #32
      The deal with toilet paper: people, preparing for mass cordoning of 3-4 weeks, grabbed as much as they could and now there's none left. Or whatever does get put out during the night is snatched up quickly when the stores open.

      I agree it's not necessary for survival, but since we don't use bidets or buckets and ladles, TP is what we're used to. And no one wants to smell bad or have mud butt or wipe with dry leaves or old socks.

      I think TP is just the iceberg. A couple of weeks ago, a local furniture store closed for good and announced that any customers who put deposits down on furniture would not get refunds and would need to come get whatever remained on the showroom floor. Well, that didn't go over so well and a dozen furious customers strapped on their heaters (open carry state) and showed up demanding their money back. No one got hurt, but if not for police intervention, someone would have.

      And that was for ottomans and living room sectionals. Imagine, and it's not hard to do, if the supply chain gets shut down to avoid disease spread or the stores run out of baby formula and frozen pizzas and canned beets. This is could get bad? This is going to get bad....
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 03-13-2020, 02:30 PM.
      Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

      Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

      No Country For Old Men

      Comment


      • #33
        Pretty good tracker app from John Hopkins.

        https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by SOCAleo View Post
          Haven't heard if Corona Virus causes diarrhea.
          It doesn't. Coronavirus is respiratory.
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

          Comment


          • #35
            I purchase medical supplies for my imaging centers four different locations. A month ago when I saw how this virus was spreading, I bought extra supplies, cleaning, personal protective stuff, and people laughed at me. Now I can’t get most of what I would have bought then. Thanks to my due diligence, all four locations have enough supplies to last for 4 to 5 months.
            "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
              The hording has begun where I'm at. Mainly fresh and canned goods but also toilet paper. The shelves were empty of TP at my local grocer... I guess people will be using the bucket and ladle method here soon...

              You're absolutely right about FEAR being the bigger problem than the actual predicament, i.e.- Covid 19. The illness will run its course; most will survive, some will die, but eventually life will go on and normal will return. It's the fear factor that concerns me most- especially if the supply chain breaks down and 360 million people exhaust their meager food provisions in a week. Nothing will tear at the fabric that holds a society together like hunger....
              I went to my local store and people were freaking out, buying whatever they could get they’re hands on.
              Last edited by NOLA2005; 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM.
              "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

                It doesn't. Coronavirus is respiratory.
                Exactly my point.

                Comment


                • #38




                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Spain has now gone into lockdown mode, following Italy and China. By next week, we too will be in national lockdown for three weeks.

                    This Corona bug is 10x more dangerous than the flu, which kills 20,000-40,000 Americans a year. So 200,000-400,000 is a safe estimate of how many less of us will be here at this time next year.

                    Thomas Hobbes, the 16th century English philosopher, once posited that life is "nasty, brutish and short." We forget that calamity, pestilence, conflict and subjugation has been the continuing narrative since the beginning of the human existence. Life in a cave 30,000 years ago was day to day survival and endless disease and injury. If a mastodon didn't spear you with a tusk, a warrior from another tribe speared you with a stick. Life in Biblical times was no walk in the park either- worldwide flooding, cities turning to salt, and getting stoned for being promiscuous or dabbling in witchcraft. And I completely dismiss the notion that my Irish ancestors lived a bucolic life of ease in the pastoral farmlands near the village of Athy and instead assume they despised being field serfs for some feudal baron and barely eked by during the 1845 Potato Famine.

                    My big point: we (meaning Boomer, Gen X, Millenials, et. al.) have had it pretty good, at least in comparison to all prior generations. So many really bad diseases like Polio and Smallpox and Malaria which inflicted endless misery were mostly eliminated before our time. Poverty and famine, once ubiquitous, are now the exceptions. War has been limited to places far away, thanks to the bravery of those who served. We have enjoyed the Good Life.... food on the table, a roof over our head, time to enjoy leisure and recreation, and continuing advancements in medicine. We take for granted electricity and cable tv and flushing toilets and gourmet popcorn and Starbucks coffee and assume tomorrow will be like all the yesterdays.

                    I have no idea what the future holds, but it's going to get rough here, probably for a few months. Best case scenario: Few million get sick and a couple hundred thousand die. Worst case scenario- more get sick and more die, and the wheels fall off the wagon as society crumbles under the strain of diminishing resources and spreading disease.

                    There's a reason the Old Testament commanded in Ecclesiates to eat drink and be merry... because tomorrow we die! So enjoy the good life today, because no ever said it would last forever....


                    Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

                    Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

                    No Country For Old Men

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                      Spain has now gone into lockdown mode, following Italy and China. By next week, we too will be in national lockdown for three weeks.

                      This Corona bug is 10x more dangerous than the flu, which kills 20,000-40,000 Americans a year. So 200,000-400,000 is a safe estimate of how many less of us will be here at this time next year.

                      Thomas Hobbes, the 16th century English philosopher, once posited that life is "nasty, brutish and short." We forget that calamity, pestilence, conflict and subjugation has been the continuing narrative since the beginning of the human existence. Life in a cave 30,000 years ago was day to day survival and endless disease and injury. If a mastodon didn't spear you with a tusk, a warrior from another tribe speared you with a stick. Life in Biblical times was no walk in the park either- worldwide flooding, cities turning to salt, and getting stoned for being promiscuous or dabbling in witchcraft. And I completely dismiss the notion that my Irish ancestors lived a bucolic life of ease in the pastoral farmlands near the village of Athy and instead assume they despised being field serfs for some feudal baron and barely eked by during the 1845 Potato Famine.

                      My big point: we (meaning Boomer, Gen X, Millenials, et. al.) have had it pretty good, at least in comparison to all prior generations. So many really bad diseases like Polio and Smallpox and Malaria which inflicted endless misery were mostly eliminated before our time. Poverty and famine, once ubiquitous, are now the exceptions. War has been limited to places far away, thanks to the bravery of those who served. We have enjoyed the Good Life.... food on the table, a roof over our head, time to enjoy leisure and recreation, and continuing advancements in medicine. We take for granted electricity and cable tv and flushing toilets and gourmet popcorn and Starbucks coffee and assume tomorrow will be like all the yesterdays.

                      I have no idea what the future holds, but it's going to get rough here, probably for a few months. Best case scenario: Few million get sick and a couple hundred thousand die. Worst case scenario- more get sick and more die, and the wheels fall off the wagon as society crumbles under the strain of diminishing resources and spreading disease.

                      There's a reason the Old Testament commanded in Ecclesiates to eat drink and be merry... because tomorrow we die! So enjoy the good life today, because no ever said it would last forever....

                      Good post, it puts things in perspective! I might add too, "Expect the worst, but hope for the best." Not a biblical verse, but very biblically minded.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by NOLA2005 View Post

                        I went to my local store and people were freaking out, buying whatever they could get they’re hands on. Knowing human nature, I went three weeks ago and stocked up on dry goods, various meats, bottled water and the holy grail of disasters, toilet paper. I’m good until June.


                        Unable to find toilet paper or paper towels on store shelves in my part of California this past week.
                        In a few days I'll be forced to use my 10-40, 10-99's and K-1 tax forms.
                        Last edited by BTDT2; 03-14-2020, 11:59 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Wish I had a crystal ball because I would've invested in toilet paper companies about four weeks ago. I have a feeling I would've been sitting pretty right now. Oh well, woulda, shoulda, coulda....

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Reporting back:

                            The TP shortage has been in effect for four days now and the outcome is beginning to take effect. I went to my local grocery store this morning and after using the ATM, went to the customer restroom to wash my hands. The two stalls, usually empty, were occupied and several dudes were standing around, waiting to drop a rat. Either they're completely out of TP or the rationing has begun to include using public restrooms as much as possible....
                            Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

                            Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

                            No Country For Old Men

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by SOCAleo View Post
                              Wish I had a crystal ball because I would've invested in toilet paper companies about four weeks ago. I have a feeling I would've been sitting pretty right now. Oh well, woulda, shoulda, coulda....
                              If I had the money I'd invest in Netflix. How will students home from school or quarantined adults spend all their time at home?
                              This Space For Rent

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post

                                If I had the money I'd invest in Netflix. How will students home from school or quarantined adults spend all their time at home?
                                With schools being closed I would not be surprised if the following crimes increased in my parts of area: Residential burglary, vandalism, graffiti, shoplifting and other petty theft charges, simple assault (especially due to fighting incidents), underage drinking violations, joyriding / vehicle theft, car clouting and gang activity.
                                Last edited by BTDT2; 03-14-2020, 05:03 PM. Reason: Ynot ?

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5470 users online. 346 members and 5124 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X