300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Knights

As some of us here grow more worldly and wise, many fellow "Grey Knights" wax nostalgic at some of the tools, attitudes and policies of the days of yor.

Anyone else ever use, get issued or remember.......

Blackjacks
    Sap gloves
    Thumbcuffs
    The "Claw"
    100% wool uniforms (not the new, soft wool, either, but the scratchy kind)
    Real 100% leather gear
    Hickory nightsticks
    Billy clubs
    Mace (oc)
    Throw away guns
    Ballistic vests that felt like wearing a refrigerator box
    Huge siren control boxes with big knobs
    Twin beacon light bars that got gummy and stopped when it was cold, so you had to bang on them with your nightstick
    Whistle chains
    Sweaty, clamy non-Gortex rainsuits
    5 point caps
    Bullet loops or dump pouches
    Flap holsters
    Non-retention holsters (simple snap - no removal protection devices)
    Air assisted sirens
    Really fast patrol cars

Any others?
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

My first Police Uniform was all wool, pants and shirt and that was 1996. I assisted in cleaning out the basement of our old PD when we were moveing into the new one and got most of the stuff on the list its all at my house in my den now. I found 4 guns in boxes marked uniform shirts. Nobody had been in the basement for about 20 years.

I got a sap used on me when I was a kid by a Deputy. Caught doing stuff I wasnt supposed to be doing and took a bit of a beating for it. Looking back on it I deserved what I got, but it did help. i was still a bad kid.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Grey Knights

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
      As some of us here grow more worldly and wise, many fellow "Grey Knights" wax nostalgic at some of the tools, attitudes and policies of the days of yor.

Blackjacks
      Sap gloves
      Thumbcuffs
      The "Claw"
      Real 100% leather gear
      Hickory nightsticks
      Billy clubs
      Mace (oc)
      Throw away guns
      Twin beacon light bars that got gummy and stopped when it was cold, so you had to bang on them with your nightstick
      Whistle chains
      5 point caps
      Flap holsters
      Air assisted sirens
      Really fast patrol cars

Any others?
      All of the above, with the exception of the 5 point cap. We wore something like a German Officer's cap with a fifty mission crush.

Comment

I’m not a LEO; however I had an interesting experience with SAP gloves. My friend was about to be on the receiving end in an altercation with another male. Everyone was confused when I jumped in to break it up before it started. Apparently I was the only one who knew was SAP gloves were. Needless to say, the situation could have been a lot worse for my friend.
        I'm back in the game baby.

Not a LEO.

Comment

Teletype machines (not computers) and Diebold files for FIs. Officers attending the academy and sometimes seen in the field with dump pouches or speed strips for their revolver reloads.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Everyone carried a "flake" knife, usually a 007, when I starterd.

Comment

Blackjacks Still got mine
              Sap gloves
              Thumbcuffs Still got em
              The "Claw" Might still carry it for old-times sake now and then
              Real 100% leather gear only plastic is holster
              Hickory nightsticks carry it every day
              Billy clubs
              Mace (oc)
              Throw away guns
              Huge siren control boxes with big knobs how bout' just toggles mounted in the dash..NO box?
              Whistle chains
              Sweaty, clamy non-Gortex rainsuits Gortex??? What's that?
              5 point caps
              Bullet loops or dump pouches Dumps FTW
              Flap holsters
              Non-retention holsters (simple snap - no removal protection devices) better yet the svivels, that fell apart when the center rivet wore through..and the loud CLUNK as your wheelgun (Still securely in the holster) dropped to the deck on your walking post.
              Air assisted sirens only 1 left when i started
              Really fast patrol cars square-box caprices

Any others?

Comment

Air assisted sirens
                The patrol cars at the first department I worked for had the biggest grinder sirens listed in the George F. Cake catalog. (Those of you who are older than dirt will remember the George F. Cake catalog fondly.)

The old grinder sirens always came with an optional brake accessory that allowed you to stop the siren, otherwise it would continue to slowly moan for several minutes after you stopped blowing it. It was really embarrassing because my department failed to purchase the brake accessory and by the time you finished issuing a citation on a traffic stop, the siren was often still making noise (albeit softly).

We also carried short (12 to 14 inch) rosewood billy clubs in our sap pockets. (Do uniform pants come with sap pockets anymore?)

I had completely forgotten about saps. I think I still have mine in a drawer somewhere.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

...we weren't even recording departmental radio traffic back then, and there were no scanners.

Result: The radio traffic on slow graveyard shifts was sometimes interesting, to say the least, as explosions of various irreverent noises, tunes, etc. suddenly shattered the silence. Thsi would usually happen just about the time the streets you were staring at had begun to stare back at you. All quite contrary to FCC regs, of course, but sometimes it was that or slipping into a coma.

...and then there were the weird calls for "wants and warrants" on improbable subjects with the objective being to crack up the dispatcher on air, which rarely happened.

Then the guy who played cuts from old scratchy tapes of the Inkspots and episodes of "Fibber McGee and Molly" on air was promoted to sergeant, and what do you think the first thing he cracked down on was? Never fails, it seems.
                  Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-18-2007, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    We also carried short (12 to 14 inch) rosewood billy clubs in our sap pockets. (Do uniform pants come with sap pockets anymore?)
                    ...and those short billies were *extremely* effective. Some smooth wrist action and good follow-through gave them a real snappy bite. The nice thing about them was they were easy to "draw" and could be used in very tight quarters. They also weren't real obvious and you weren't constantly having to grab them when you exited the squad. Last, but not least, there wasn't much of the billy sticking out there for the perp to grab.
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-18-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Issued a wheel gun with dump pouches, still had some cars with the old wind siren....flip the switch and push on the horn pad to wind it up. Had a blackjack in my sap pocket, our winter uniforms were really thick wool.

I still think the litmus test for "old" is that you drove a Plymouth as a cruiser at some point.

Ah the good ol days
                      Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                        ...we weren't even recording departmental radio traffic back then, and there were no scanners.

Result: The radio traffic on slow graveyard shifts was sometimes interesting, to say the least, as explosions of various irreverent noises, tunes, etc. suddenly shattered the silence. Thsi would usually happen just about the time the streets you were staring at had begun to stare back at you. All quite contrary to FCC regs, of course, but sometimes it was that or slipping into a coma.

...and then there were the weird calls for "wants and warrants" on improbable subjects with the objective being to crack up the dispatcher on air, which rarely happened.

Then the guy who played cuts from old scratchy tapes of the Inkspots and episodes of "Fibber McGee and Molly" on air was promoted to sergeant, and what do you think the first thing he cracked down on was? Never fails, it seems.
                        Dang i almost forgot that. Moto "Converta-Comms" in each car, NO individual portables. You popped the portable out when you left the car, and popped it back in when you got back..hitting the panic button about 25% of the time trying to get it to latch back in.. Walking men MIGHT have a portable, if they were all working at the time, and the portables themselves (Moto MT-500's)...almost as good as a nightstick. One of the oldtimers tried to "Mr Motorola" a skell when we got issued our GE's, and ended up with a handful of broken plastic for his efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by rpd1794 View Post
                          I still think the litmus test for "old" is that you drove a Plymouth as a cruiser at some point.
                          Satellite or Dodge Fury, followed by AMC Matador. The best of the best- 1977 Chevy Nova!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Blackjacks
                            Sap gloves
                            Thumbcuffs
                            The "Claw"
                            Real 100% leather gear
                            Hickory nightsticks
                            Billy clubs
                            Mace (oc)
                            Throw away guns
                            Whistle chains
                            5 point caps
                            Flap holsters
                            Air assisted sirens
                            Really fast patrol cars

Any others?
                            Ahh yes, I remember the "GOOD OLE' DAYS! One thing for sure...officer, you sat up and paid ATTENTION****

Comment

Blackjacks
                              Sap gloves
                              Thumbcuffs
                              The "Claw"
                              Real 100% leather gear
                              Hickory nightsticks
                              Billy clubs
                              Mace (oc)
                              Throw away guns
                              Whistle chains
                              5 point caps
                              Flap holsters
                              Air assisted sirens
                              Really fast patrol cars

Any others?
                              Ahh yes, I remember the "GOOD OLE' DAYS! One thing for sure...officer, you sat up and paid ATTENTION****

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3187 users online. 200 members and 2987 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X