300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this story. what do you think?

saw this on another forum i frequent wanted to get some LEO's opinion's.

well.. after reading this story maybe someone can give a little input on what their family can do in order to dismiss his mom's felony and his misdemeanor. heres the story:
    edit: i realize there is most likely nothing to dismiss what she did but oh well

a few fact:
    my friend is 19, 4.0GPA going to texas A&M(engineering). He wears glasses and looks like the most defensless person ever. his mom is about 50yrs old, is a hardcore church go'er, and is married to a doctor.

they live at the end of a street in a subdivision that becomes a dirt road, which is their driveway. well last sunday,at about midnight, 3 cop cars and about 6 police were all right outside their property on the street with their flash lights. him and his mom wanted to know what was going on so his mom grabbed one of those big spotlights(only flashlight they could find) and they walked outside and aimed the light near the police(they were in their front yard, about 30yards from the police,they also had their boxer on a leash*). the police then start screaming at them and cussing like crazy, with guns raised they ran up to my friend and his mom. my friend said one cop had his flashlight about 2inches from his mom's face and was screaming at her telling her that they were looking for a killer and she shouldnt be shinning a light at them(?). his mom lifts her hand and taps the flashlight down and out of her eyes, the cop brings it right back up and continues insulting. then my friend, trying to calm things down, GENTLY puts his hand on the flashlight and gently moves it from his moms eyes. once he did this a cop tackled him and began twisting his arms behind his back. his mom saw this and freaked out and hit the officer in the head with the spotlight, then the police tackled her and threw them in the cop car and took them to jail.

the police report said that their dog attacked an officer and that my friend threw the officers flashlight down violently and of course the mom hit the officer

as you can see the police report is total BS,except for the mom's part. i can see that his mom can be really screwed about what she did(lawyer said 2-20years worse case scenario)

did the police have the right to just run up on their land like that and harass them?

everything would have been solved if the police nicely told them to remain inside that there was a killer around

the real "truth" is probably somewhere in between if I had to guess.

What do you think?

I wasn't there, so can only respond to the scenario you described. The first thing your friend and his Mom did wrong was to approach, let alone confront the police. She compounded her error by shining a light at them. Your buddy screwed up by physically becoming involved as well. The very least thing these "concerned citizens" could have been charged with is Interfering with an Officer. If these Officers were searching for a suspect in a homicide, that only aggravates the seriousness of your friend's and his Mother's stupidity. In these situations, Officers have no time for pleasentries,or explanations to curious citizens. They are focussed on apprehending a suspect, in this case a potentially dangerous one. The actions of your friend and his Mother seriously compromised Officer safety, as well as their own. Perhaps this reply offends you. If it does, that's totally immaterial to me. Your friend and his Mother behaved irresponsibly, and stupidly.

Comment

Hmmmm, midnight, and several police cars in my area? Officers appear to be searching for something/someone?

What would a person using common sense do? Stay inside? Make sure all the doors are locked? Maybe pick up the phone and call the police and get information?

As tough as I am on using 911 for the wrong reason, I'd say go ahead and call 911 - the dispatcher will have a good idea of what you are calling about because your address will come up right away. We may not be able to tell you everything, but if a lost child was involved, we might want your extra pair of eyes.

But to grab a large, heavy flashlight - aka deadly weapon? Aim the light at the officer - both blinding him, and making him a target? Then create a disturbance? Then assault the officer?

I know it's no longer the "thing" to do, but how about just saying, "I'm sorry, I blew it, I was not really thinking. I throw myself on the mercy of the court." No excuses, no blaming the cops, just own up to a major brain fart.
      Last edited by willowdared; 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crackerjacker View Post

well.. after reading this story maybe someone can give a little input on what their family can do in order to dismiss his mom's felony and his misdemeanor.
        Not too bright for an engineering student, and a hardcore fifty year old church goer, married to a doctor. I have my doubts about the credibility of this story. Only the obvious, tell them to find themselves a good attorney
        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

...as you can see the police report is total BS,...

Um, No I can't see that. And neither can you, you weren't there either.

As willowdared said, her actions lacked any common sense.
          I would describe them as criminally stupid.
          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

It doesn't sound like we're getting the whole story here. From what we are getting though your friend and his mom were in the wrong and the part about him "gently" pushing the flashlight away the second time doesn't add up either.
            "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Bridge moss and B.O. is a heady odor.
              Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
              I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
              Originally posted by weinerdog2000
              as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Both sides were wrong.

If the cops didn't want curious neighbors to come outside with lights, they should have notified them that they were searching for a fugitive in the neighborhood. If they didn't want to do that, they should've expected to draw some attention and they should try to exercise common courtesy when dealing with innocent neighbors.

The part about "gently" moving the flashlight and subsequently getting tackled is definitely a lie. Regardless, the son/mother were wrong to do ANYTHING physical to the cops. They should have sat there, listened to all the crap they were getting, and filed a complaint in the morning if they were still raw about it.

Comment

What do you think?

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                  Both sides were wrong.

If the cops didn't want curious neighbors to come outside with lights, they should have notified them that they were searching for a fugitive in the neighborhood. If they didn't want to do that, they should've expected to draw some attention and they should try to exercise common courtesy when dealing with innocent neighbors.

The part about "gently" moving the flashlight and subsequently getting tackled is definitely a lie. Regardless, the son/mother were wrong to do ANYTHING physical to the cops. They should have sat there, listened to all the crap they were getting, and filed a complaint in the morning if they were still raw about it.
                  Feanor, I wish I knew as much about Accounting, as you do being an Officer. It's rather apparent you've never been in the situation these Officers were. Essentially, it's a highly charged, potentially dangerous situation. It was made worse by the actions of the citizens involved. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you really aren't qualified to pass judgment on the actions of the Officers in this case. But then, neither is the media, and they do it every day.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    Feanor, I wish I knew as much about Accounting, as you do being an Officer. It's rather apparent you've never been in the situation these Officers were. Essentially, it's a highly charged, potentially dangerous situation. It was made worse by the actions of the citizens involved. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you really aren't qualified to pass judgment on the actions of the Officers in this case. But then, neither is the media, and they do it every day.
                    As human beings, not cops, why is it so much to as for them to be polite to someone who was asking a valid question?

Comment

As human beings, not cops, why is it so much to as for them to be polite to someone who was asking a valid question?
                      Personally, any "valid question" part vanished when the big flashlight shone on the officer(s). You may say the family had a "right to know" what was going on, but not everyone has the "need to know" something. If they needed to know about a potential hazard, the police might have come up and told them even before they asked. Otherwise, they're better off staying safely inside and waiting for the TV and/or newspaper to give them the details.
                      From what I've read here, satisfying someone's curiosity would have probably wasted critical time. That's not good for officer safety, and not the way to "protect and serve" the citizens.
                      --
                      Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

If you have to ask, there's no answer I can give you. I'll try this. Sometimes, there's no time to be polite. We don't live in a perfect world. If we did, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Comment

Sometimes the only language people understand is not very nice language. When involved in a tense situation where the possibility for violence exists police officers have a tendency to be a bit abrupt. This is often because they do not have time to sit down over tea and explain the situation to curious passers by. If you see the police doing something chances are that they are busy. If you have a question get out of their way and call dispatch, if they do not give you an answer (which they probably will not) ask for a sgt to call you. He/she will probably call you back when the situation is over and explain what was going on. If you walk through the middle of something whether it be a traffic stop, felony stop (yes I have had it happen - "hey officer, why you pointing your gun at that guy behind me?... Dub*****, he wasn't behind you until you walked into my line of fire!), domestic, search for an armed subject, whatever you will probably not enjoy the outcome.

Common sense can save your life, it may also prevent you from being a victim of "senseless police brutality."
                          "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

my friend is 19, 4.0GPA going to texas A&M(engineering). He wears glasses and looks like the most defensless person ever. his mom is about 50yrs old, is a hardcore church go'er, and is married to a doctor.

Book smart and street smart are two different things. I know some people who are smart as a whip, but don't have enough sense to come in from the cold unless you drag them in the house.

him and his mom wanted to know what was going on so his mom grabbed one of those big spotlights(only flashlight they could find)

Midnight, Sunday and a bunch of cops. Any body besides me remember that quaint saying about curiosity and cats???

and they walked outside and aimed the light near the police(they were in their front yard, about 30yards from the police,they also had their boxer on a leash*).

First off, I wonder why the heck they thought that going out there was a brilliant game plan. Then to think that bringing out a LARGE, INTIMIDATING LOOKING dog and spotlight officers were good ideas?? Didn't they stop to think that this MIGHT not be the way to end a Sunday night. In case anyone not associated with law enforcement doesn't get it, this was tanamount to to painting a target on those officers heads.

was screaming at her telling her that they were looking for a killer and she shouldnt be shinning a light at them(?).

Brain child... killer on the loose! This is the point when mom and kid should grab Fido and hot foot it outta there.

his mom lifts her hand and taps the flashlight down and out of her eyes, the cop brings it right back up and continues insulting. then my friend, trying to calm things down, GENTLY puts his hand on the flashlight and gently moves it from his moms eyes. once he did this a cop tackled him and began twisting his arms behind his back. his mom saw this and freaked out and hit the officer in the head with the spotlight, then the police tackled her and threw them in the cop car and took them to jail.

Now, in addition to covering his fellow officers this officer has to argue with these two busybodies and their dog.

the police report said that their dog attacked an officer and that my friend threw the officers flashlight down violently and of course the mom hit the officer
                            as you can see the police report is total BS,except for the mom's part. i can see that his mom can be really screwed about what she did(lawyer said 2-20years worse case scenario)

did the police have the right to just run up on their land like that and harass them?

Who do you think would have been the FIRST one to press charges if the killer the cops were looking for went into the house took them all hostage and say killed the kid???

everything would have been solved if the police nicely told them to remain inside that there was a killer around

Sorry, I don't think this would have worked. For some dumb reason I get a mental picture of mom, son and Fido stumbling around with this giant light hollering "Here killer, killer, killer".

the real "truth" is probably somewhere in between if I had to guess.

Both sides were wrong.

If the cops didn't want curious neighbors to come outside with lights, they should have notified them that they were searching for a fugitive in the neighborhood.

Hellloooo... Midnight, Sunday. What would you have suggested? A bullhorn and door to door notifcation?

If they didn't want to do that, they should've expected to draw some attention and they should try to exercise common courtesy when dealing with innocent neighbors.

*holds out hands as if balancing objects* Being nice to busy bodies, looking for some killer, busy bodies, killer.... tough choice.

Personally when I read this my BS meter went off the wall. This ENTIRE story sounds fishier than Puget Sound in August. Then again I'm a natural born skeptic.

Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                            Personally, any "valid question" part vanished when the big flashlight shone on the officer(s). You may say the family had a "right to know" what was going on, but not everyone has the "need to know" something.

I congratulate you sir for using a bit of common sense. Please try not to make a habit of it, or else people will come to expect it from you.

From what I've read here, satisfying someone's curiosity would have probably wasted critical time. That's not good for officer safety, and not the way to "protect and serve" the citizens.
                            I'm worried about you RR, you are using way too much logic and good thinking . Are you a robot?
                            R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
                            I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Comment

These people sound like total idiots. They don't even recognise that the police are protecting them. Not only that, they put the police at risk. Total idiots.

I hope that they get what they deserve.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5030 users online. 337 members and 4693 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X