X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Fe Police Department looking into hiring Mexican nationals

By The Associated Press
    Article Launched: 05/16/2007 09:56:10 AM MDT

SANTA FE (AP) — The Santa Fe Police Department is considering the possibility of recruiting Mexican nationals to fill vacant police jobs.

Sgts. Gillian Alessio and Marvin Paulk, who are in charge of the department's recruiting and training, said Tuesday they are considering alternative approaches to fill 20 vacancies on the city's 155-person police force.

But Police Chief Eric Johnson said New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy regulations prohibit non-citizens from serving as police officers.

Alessio said the Santa Fe police force, like others around the country, is vying to recruit the same 21- to 30-year-olds as the U.S. military, whose need for recruits is taking a toll on the police department.

"Every day, we get approached by young men and women from Mexico who are in the country legally but are not naturalized," Alessio said.

"There is a huge pool of people who are dedicated, hardworking and trying to become citizens of this country. They would like nothing better than to devote their time to protecting the communities that they live in," she said.

The United States speeds up naturalization for foreigners who enlist in the U.S. military, and Alessio asked, "Why can't we do that with law

http://www.lcsun-news.com/latest/ci_5909340
    "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Thrrr takin rrr jobbs!

Seriously though, that's the worst idea ever. And it has nothing to do with hiring Mexicans. It's that they refuse to pay a decent wage to attract qualified candidates so they scrape the bottom of the barrel... weather its people without any life experience, shady backgrounds, foreign nationals, whatever. It's not about Mexicans, it's about the people at the top trying to stamp out the middle class by cutting away at jobs that used to pay decent wages. I saw the SFPD pay scale in another thread, 14 bucks an hour? please the cost of living can't be that low there. I've seen Realtor.com for that area.

You don't see Huntington Beach PD (good pay) crying about not having enough people.
    Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

In Commiefornia, we hire folks who have applied for citizenship (they had to apply for citizenship 6 months prior to their police department application). It's not an issue, and we have a LOT of great coppers with English as a second language. Plus, they get more money than I do....they get the bilingual bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
        Thrrr takin rrr jobbs!

Seriously though, that's the worst idea ever. And it has nothing to do with hiring Mexicans. It's that they refuse to pay a decent wage to attract qualified candidates so they scrape the bottom of the barrel... weather its people without any life experience, shady backgrounds, foreign nationals, whatever. It's not about Mexicans, it's about the people at the top trying to stamp out the middle class by cutting away at jobs that used to pay decent wages. I saw the SFPD pay scale in another thread, 14 bucks an hour? please the cost of living can't be that low there. I've seen Realtor.com for that area.

You don't see Huntington Beach PD (good pay) crying about not having enough people.
        I totally agree. A lot of departments want people with a 4 year degree, yet they pay very low wages. Why work for $3000 a month for a police department when Lockheed pays soooo much more with exponentially better benefits and you don't have to work graveyard shift? The middle class is doomed, I tells ya!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
          Why work for $3000 a month for a police department when Lockheed pays soooo much more with exponentially better benefits and you don't have to work graveyard shift? The middle class is doomed, I tells ya!!
          But with that pay comes the higher probability of layoff. I have a friend with 2 masters degrees in business and project management and hes laid off every couple of months. ill stick with my steady paycheck and less probability of layoff.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4569 users online. 287 members and 4282 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X