• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun owner ID card issued to 10-month-old

Things that make you go hmmm...

Illinois issues gun owner ID card to 10-month-old boy

Associated Press
    May. 15, 2007 06:35 PM

CHICAGO - Bubba Ludwig can't walk, talk or open the refrigerator door - but he does have his very own Illinois gun permit.

The 10-month-old, whose given name is Howard David Ludwig, was issued a firearm owner's identification card after his father, Howard Ludwig, paid the $5 fee and filled out the application, not expecting to actually get one.

The card lists the baby's height (2 feet, 3 inches), weight (20 pounds) and has a scribble where the signature should be.

With some exceptions, the cards are required of any Illinois residents purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition within the state. There are no age restrictions on the cards, an official said.

Illinois State Police oversee the application process. Their purpose, said Lt. Scott Compton, is to keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons, those under an order of protection and those convicted of domestic violence.

"Does a 10-month-old need a FOID card? No, but there are no restrictions under the act regarding age of applicants," he said.

Ludwig, 30, of Chicago, applied for the card after his own father bought Bubba a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun as a gift. The weapon will probably be kept at Ludwig's father's house until the boy is at least 14.
    R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Munden

You're service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Kieth M.
    I once knew a guy who said, "I'll step over any nine to get to three threes!"

I knew at that precise moment that he and I would never get into a fistfight over a woman.

Well, issuing a card to a 10 month old is almost as silly as a grown up thinking that a card will keep a gun out of the hands of a convicted felon.
    The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
      Well, issuing a card to a 10 month old is almost as silly as a grown up thinking that a card will keep a gun out of the hands of a convicted felon.
      Agreed.
      A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

I don't think age is a factor...

If your name is Bubba, you have to be a gun owner. It's a moral imperative.
        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

If this story is true, then I've waited too long to get one for my 6 year old son

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

A scribble for a signature? Shouldn't it be "signed on behalf?" I think the fact that the fact that the person the card belongs to didn't know what, or rather that, he was signing would invalidate the card.

Other than that, I think that if it only documents the fact that someone owns something, it doesn't really hurt to issue it to the lawful owner. But if Illinois wants this record kept, should there maybe be a place to identify the parent or gardian, and the gun's custodian?
            lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
              I don't think age is a factor...

If your name is Bubba, you have to be a gun owner. It's a moral imperative.
              Right there's probably not one person named or referred to as Bubba that doesn't own a gun.( Besides the ones in prison )
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Ludwig, 30, of Chicago, applied for the card after his own father bought Bubba a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun as a gift. The weapon will probably be kept at Ludwig's father's house until the boy is at least 14.

Explain to me what kind of hick family buys a 12-gauge shotgun for an infant.
                I also doubt this red neck is "of chicago". Sounds like southern illinois to me to be honest....

Comment

12-gauge shotgun for an infant
                  It's not as bad as it sounds. He bought his grandson a valuable item which would be useful, possibly as little as five years from now, likely by ten years from now, and which is probably closely connected with family and local traditions. It's really no different than buying an infant a real bat and ball. Worst case scenerio, he never takes an interest in it. The money's still not wasted; it can eventually go to one of his own children.
                  Last edited by pvtbuddie; 05-16-2007, 07:32 PM.
                  lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1974 users online. 127 members and 1847 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X