300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD or CBP

I am currently waiting for the polygraph for custom and borders, however a while back I received a canvas email to start my nypd hiring process, I choose to defer them for the time being. My question is should I continue to wait for cbp or should I just start the process for nypd?

The answer to your question lies with what YOU want to do with your life.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Both are good jobs, but at the end of the day is what you make of it.
      NYPD will give you better pay, variety, benefits & retirement. CBP will offer more opportunities to move around (location wise) and possibly jumping into other federal agencies. Policing "the streets" and doing real police work is a hot topic these days, so add that as a big negative to the NYPD.

Comment

• Stay Frosty
        Stay Frosty commented
        Editing a comment
        Especially with the new changes....

Originally posted by RequestingMeal View Post
      Both are good jobs, but at the end of the day is what you make of it.
      NYPD will give you better pay, variety, benefits & retirement. CBP will offer more opportunities to move around (location wise) and possibly jumping into other federal agencies. Policing "the streets" and doing real police work is a hot topic these days, so add that as a big negative to the NYPD.
      Is the money that different NYPD vs CBP?

Comment

• Stay Frosty
        Stay Frosty commented
        Editing a comment
        How about the opportunities to move around and possibly jumping into other federal agencies or units between the two ?

Journeyman (5 year mark) NYPD salary: $85K per year

Journeyman CBP (5 year mark) salary: $104K per year

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...-benefits.page
      https://www.cbp.gov/careers/cbpo-pay-and-benefits

I actually think CBP is one of the tougher jobs in fed LE. Imagine asking the same two questions (what is your citizenship? do you have anything to declare?) 100 times a day at a port of entry. Assuming an average LE career is 7,500 days (250 days per year x 30 years), that's 750,000 repetitions of asking the same thing. That's about the closest thing to torture not using a picana electric prod that I can think of.

I know there are other assignments like A-TCET (i.e.- working cargo, which is no walk in the park either. Ever been inside the cabin of a semi-truck, with the gallons of urine and sticky icky napkins? Truck drivers can be n-a-s-t-y.)

BUT: the G is chockful of people who started at CBP and were able to slide into an 1811 slot and never have to work primary inspection again....
      Chance favors the prepared mind.

-Louis Pasteur

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        Journeyman (5 year mark) NYPD salary: $85K per year

Journeyman CBP (5 year mark) salary: $104K per year

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...-benefits.page
        https://www.cbp.gov/careers/cbpo-pay-and-benefits

I actually think CBP is one of the tougher jobs in fed LE. Imagine asking the same two questions (what is your citizenship? do you have anything to declare?) 100 times a day at a port of entry. Assuming an average LE career is 7,500 days (250 days per year x 30 years), that's 750,000 repetitions of asking the same thing. That's about the closest thing to torture not using a picana electric prod that I can think of.

I know there are other assignments like A-TCET (i.e.- working cargo, which is no walk in the park either. Ever been inside the cabin of a semi-truck, with the gallons of urine and sticky icky napkins? Truck drivers can be n-a-s-t-y.)

BUT: the G is chockful of people who started at CBP and were able to slide into an 1811 slot and never have to work primary inspection again....
        $85K is base, with longevity and few other perks, a regular police officer gets over $100k just to show up to work. Overtime and/or promotions change that number drastically.

Comment

2019 journeyman 12/01 base pay in NYC for CBPOs is just short of 86K. I don't know how the agency figures that 104K claim...but they are know for doing some creative math when it comes to overall earnings claims before.

Now, it is likely true that throwing in differential pay and overtime probably pushes the average journeyman over 6 figures. There is a 45K premium pay cap in CBP. Those stories one hears about NYC area Officers doubling their salaries working huge amounts of overtime and secondary jobs, that won't fly in CBP. Along with that 45K cap comes OFO management that hates to approve outside employment...especially in any secondary job that touches on law enforcement.

Comment

I don't think it's been echoed in this thread enough that they are literally completely different jobs with almost no similarities other than involving a badge and a gun. t's not like choosing between NYPD or LAPD, or between HSI and FBI... it's literally working as a uniformed street cop or essentially doing what Ratatatat said above.

If I had to be a regular cop, I would want to work for the NYPD because of the brotherhood, camaraderie, and vast variety of assignments you can do after working for like 2-3 years. I think if you're talking about city police departments, it's the best one if that's what you're looking for. The money is going to be around the same I would say between the two. If you become a detective or a supervisor, with the way New York police departments operate their overtime systems, you could be pulling some serious dough, way more than CBP or any Federal job. And if you reach the higher ranks in the NYPD one day you'd have a significantly higher earning potential than any Fed due to the paycap. Of course, location is a big deal, since NYPD you're obviously going to be in New York, save for like the 0.01 percent of first grade detectives assigned to various postings overseas temporarily.

You ultimately have to decide if you want to be a regular old fashioned "police officer" who responds to calls, takes statements, drives a patrol car/walks a beat, or don't. This isn't something where you can compare benefits and pay and pick one or the other based on that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16514 users online. 425 members and 16089 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X