300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth being in Law Enforcement?

Right now I am seriously considering work as a Law Enforcement Officer. If I go for it, I know I will be applying to the Highway Patrol. I have some questions though.

What are the positives and negatives of being a Law Enforcement officer. I hope to hear from some State Trooper/Highway Patrolmen on this one since this is what I will be applying for.

If you had it to do all over again, would you still become a peace officer?

I certainly am NOT going to say I know what I am getting into if I go for this, but I feel I have somewhat of an IDEA of what I could getting into. This is where you all come in. Any responses would be appreciated.

Also, have any of you pulled someone over and they said something so funny, you just burst out in laughter?

IF I had to do it all over again I would still try to become a law enforcement officer. While the pay is not always the best it is a salary thatyou can get by on. There is always going to be good and bad with any job that you wish to persue. The main thing I can say is to look for all the good that is in a job. I have always looked to the good and have always tried to do a job that I was interested in. This way I would be happy with what I was doing and getting paid for it at the same time.

I have had a few instances where the person has said or done something that was very funny or is funny now. While I never busrt out laughing on the spot there were a few times I just thought to myself "Why ME" LOL If your interested in law enforcement I say go for it. It may be hard at times and you will see things from a veiw point few get to see. You will deal with a lot of the social miscontents there are out there and a few nice normal people here and there. Law enforcement is not all peaches and cream. There are a ot of things out there that will have a very high impact on you. Just try to remember if your become a officer then you have become a part of the brotherhood.

Klar
    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

[ 04-05-2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Frank Booth ]

Comment

Jeeze Frank, You are sure in a "positive" mood this morning! But then I've known a lot of folks who feel the way you do. In fact, I felt that way when I retired. Otherwise I'd have stayed a few more years.

They say a difference of opinion is what makes horse races though.

RW,

Yes, I certainly would do it over again. I would make some different "career path" choices than I did make though. I was a deputy, so I won't try to tell you about the highway patrol function. We have some troopers on here who will be much better qualified to do that than I am.

But whatever part of LE you get into, there is one BIG PLUS to it. That is the feeling that you are doing SOMETHING to help your country and your community. You WILL have the times when you think "I can't make any difference at all, it just is not worth it." But the fact is that each and every one of us DO make a difference.

Most, if not all of us have saved a few lives. We've put bad guys in prison. We've helped a kid or two to straighten out when they were headed down the wrong pathway.

The feeling of satisfaction that you get when this happens is indescribable. You really have to experience it first hand.
        6P1 (retired)

Comment

Like many of the perennial topics we get around here, the appeal of participation fades with repetition.

The wide variety of responses to your question can be adequately summarized as follows:

-Yes.
          -Yes, with regret.
          -Tes, with reservations.
          -Yes, with a cautionary note.
          -I'm a rookie and I absolutely love it!
          -No.
          -I'm burned out and it sucks!
          -It's not for everybody.
          -Try it and see for yourself.
          -Go away! We're tired of answering this question!

In any event, should you become a LEO, it's likely that at some distant point in your career you will become Frank Booth, or at least understand him.

Comment

I think you're best to ask yourself why you want to become an LEO. Otherwise you may end up feeling like Frank.
            It's easier to get out of jail than it is a morgue. Live long and defend yourself!

Jhn 3:16
            NRA Lifer
            GOA
            GSSF
            KABA
            SAF

Comment

[ 04-05-2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Frank Booth ]

Comment

Frank, FWIW I did take an "early out!" But to be honest about it, it was more because of county politics than it was the job itself. Unfortunately it is all intertwined. . .

I too have seen guys drop dead after six months of retirement. I made a vow that I would keep busy and not let that happen to me. So far, I've made almost five years!
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

Comment

Jeeze Frank, I HAVE changed it several times!Shoot, if he comes to my door, I'll roast his *** and have him for dinner!
                    6P1 (retired)

Comment

I wouldn't trade it for the world. Yeah, I always think where I would have been if I had taken a different path in the Army. Even now I'm constantly thinking of other things I could do, but I can't get out of LE.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueWarrior:
                        . If I go for it, I know I will be applying to the Highway Patrol.
                        It would help to know what state you are in. Lately all I hear from TxDPS is what is wrong with their dept and how quick can I get my time in.

If I had it to do all over again (and at the time Texas wasn't intent on hiring minorities and by-passing qualified white males) I'd probably have gone w/the highway patrol. They pay less, but I could have transferred to somewhere very rural by now. Traffic and accident reports have always been my thing.
                        "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

Comment

Frank Booth,

I saw you stated the following

the liability isn't worth it, the strain on your marriage isn't worth it, the chance of going to prison or losing your job for making a mistake isn't worth it

What do you mean the liability isn't worth it?

Most importantly what is this about the possibility of going to prison or losing your job for making a mistake?

Geez, don't the higher ups realize that cops are only human, too, and that they can and will make mistakes?

If you have time to answer, please do.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RogueWarrior:
                              Frank Booth,

I saw you stated the following

What do you mean the liability isn't worth it?

Most importantly what is this about the possibility of going to prison or losing your job for making a mistake?

Geez, don't the higher ups realize that cops are only human, too, and that they can and will make mistakes?

If you have time to answer, please do.

Buddy, in regards to Franks answer, politicians will do anything to get re-elected. Anything. So if the ignorant masses are talking about rioting, because of something you did, in the line of duty, like they did in Cincinatti, the politicians will hang you by the balls. And the media will have a field day reporting on your lack of training, any thing negative on your record, and anything they can dig up in your personal life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3819 users online. 222 members and 3597 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X