X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawned His Gun

and body armor. Welcome to Floriduh.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/hillsb...gun-at-school/

It's fairly common to see in other parts of the world. I was in Thailand a few years ago and most of the Royal Thai Police carried guns, some did not. I asked why and was told the pay was so low, pawning guns was one way to get money until the end of the month.

Also common in the Land of Smiles: shaking down cab drivers during traffic stops for a few hundred baht (about ten bucks) as a 'special tax' instead of a ticket.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

-Louis Pasteur

Comment

Early in my career back in the 1970s, one of the other rookies kept borrowing service revolvers from other officers for use on duty. Turned out while off duty he picked up a girl and had sex with her. Unbeknownst to him at the time, she also robbed him. He then went out and pawned his department issued duty weapon to get money to live on until his next paycheck.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

This probably has to do with inadequate pay and more importantly, inadequate hiring practices.

Comment

Just wow...

Comment

Other peoples' children. I accept no responsibility for how they were raised.

Comment

Originally posted by Punisher1336 View Post
              This probably has to do with inadequate pay and more importantly, inadequate hiring practices.
              Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
              Just wow...
              It had to do with something else i left out.

Back in the day, a lot of new hires lived near and wanted to be appointed to the State Capital, but many were assigned to a large metro area 90 miles away. There was some turnover back then and it usually took about six to nine months to get transferred back home. Rather than undertake the trouble and expense of moving their family back and forth, most new officers left their family behind and temporarily rented a room at a really cheap flop house we called the Heartbreak Hotel and did their time at the new post until their transfer came in.

This was one of those guys. He gave his paycheck to his wife back home and only took enough to get by at the Heartbreak. When he cheated on the little lady and got rolled, he couldn't exactly call home, ask that more money be wired to him and explain why he needed it.

Remember, this was back in the early 1970s when there was no such thing as an ATM, there were few bank cards and even if you had one, not that many businesses took them. Almost everything was cash and carry and quick money transfers took place by Western Union. (Arrrrgh, am I that old? Retired - Bail me out here!)
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17986 users online. 447 members and 17539 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X